XnGine Morrowind?

epoch32

Original poster
Jun 10, 2019
AGName
jdog320
AG Join Date
Oct. 28, 2014
I was delving deep into the history of morrowind and I found out years ago that originally, the game was to use the XnGine instead of the now infamous NetImmerse/GameBryo engine and it will incorporate most of the mechanics from es2 mainly randomly generated dungeons, albeit with an improved algorithm. Were there any builds or screenshots of this version of the game or it never past the conceptual stage?

Moondog

Registered
Jun 12, 2019
AGName
Moondog
AG Join Date
Nov 21, 2010
There are some early-ish Morrowind screenshots out there, but they all show the later 3D engine that was used in the final product. Any XnGine development done on TES3 was probably not enough to show in a preview before they switched over. Were they seriously planning to release it in 1997? Lol.

May 31, 2019
I was delving deep into the history of morrowind and I found out years ago that originally, the game was to use the XnGine instead of the now infamous NetImmerse/GameBryo engine and it will incorporate most of the mechanics from es2 mainly randomly generated dungeons, albeit with an improved algorithm. Were there any builds or screenshots of this version of the game or it never past the conceptual stage?

Probably not. If any were done, it would've looked like Redguard. It always felt like that Morrowind was too big of a project for the tech at the time, and Bethesda had enough common sense back then to put a stop on it until they could do it properly.

Bless ye Bethesda, the company of two engines. XngIne was good for its time, so was NetImmerse, but c'mon you've got direct access to Quake over there. At least do something with that! :p

Make a donation