Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

Dreamcast Wince+CDDA Fix

truemaster

Registered
May 31, 2019
i can test and if helps i will check also if the tracks play in exact order as the gdi. but before that one question i heard back on assembergames that gdemu doent emulate the gdrom lock can anyone gdemu user as @FamilyGuy @Anthony817 @fafadou etc. can confirm this? if this is the case acording to @darcagn then it requires testing on real gdrom for 100% valid test

Pitito

Original poster
Registered
Jun 19, 2019
AGName
pitito
AG Join Date
03/08/2015
Yes, it is best to try burning the iso, and using the Gdrom unit
But you can try it in gdemu if you want

Reactions: truemaster

Pitito

Original poster
Registered
Jun 19, 2019
AGName
pitito
AG Join Date
03/08/2015
Guys, I think this can work on console :)
I have hacked with binhack an ip.bin katana, specifically that of the Panzer Front that had it at hand, with the lba that the Nightmare carries, to know what changes binhack makes within the ip.bin.

And to my surprise, the original Nightmare ip.bin and the panzer ip.bin hack are almost identical.
I have compared original and panzer hack ip.bins, to know where the changes have been, and reviewing these values in the original of the Nightmare, and they are practically identical, except for a few values.

There is also an area where the ip.bin wince does not contain data, while the katana do, this is at the end of the ip.bin.

I have changed the values that binhack hacks in ip.bin katana in ip.bin wince, although I have not added the part without data that wince does not have at the end of the ip.bin and the game also plays tracks perfectly

You can compare bins yourselves :)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/g2hfaoq9y8968iw/IPBINS.zip/file

Last edited:

FamilyGuy

2049 Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
-=FamilyGuy=-
AG Join Date
March 3, 2007
You can simply use my Binhack32/64 clone. It will generate a hacked bootsector and not modify the WinCE binary.

Pitito

Original poster
Registered
Jun 19, 2019
AGName
pitito
AG Join Date
03/08/2015
Using binhack over ip.bin wince makes too many changes and problem with cdda is not resolved

@FamilyGuy If you compare original ip.bin and hack ip.bin from panzer front, you will go and check the hacked values in Nightmare's original ip.bin, you will see that they are almost identical

In the ip.bin hack that I have uploaded from Nightmare those different values have been edited, and too work

Last edited:

darcagn

Registered
May 30, 2019
dcemulation.org
AGName
darcagn
AG Join Date
May 12, 2007
Why not just use binhack32/64 and paste back in the track listing afterwards?

truemaster

Registered
May 31, 2019
and sadly the game is not working:(. it passes the licence screen the vmu shows nightmare creatures on it but black screen. i imidietly unplug vga and inserted the classic scart just in case same thing:( i try booting the console switching from retail bios to the link83bios same thing:(. i test the cdda part on demul the cdda order while playing and it plays them as the gdi:). now what cause this? what @Pitito can do to make it work?

Pitito

Original poster
Registered
Jun 19, 2019
AGName
pitito
AG Join Date
03/08/2015
@darcagn I really do not know what values are the ones that give the problem when hacking with binhack, since it is not a thing of the hdtoc, binhack, it creates practically a standard ip.bin in all wince, but I can try other things :)

@truemaster Have you tested if the gdemu is compatible with original gdi?
Or have you tried it on cd?

That cdi is made without changing the values that hack the binhacks in a Katana ip.bin
Soon I'll pass you another

truemaster

Registered
May 31, 2019
no i havent tryed original gdi. as far as i know gdemu is compatible with it. but i will test that as well.
edit @Pitito ive tested original pal gdi and the dc plays it fine. also i didnt notice it before, but you have made translation on the game you shared with me. that meens the problem maybe is something on translation side. provide a cdi free of language hacks so we can be 100% sure

Last edited:
Reactions: fafadou and Pitito

darcagn

Registered
May 30, 2019
dcemulation.org
AGName
darcagn
AG Join Date
May 12, 2007
now what cause this? what @Pitito can do to make it work?

the GDROM drive is locked when loading a CD on a real Dreamcast but not on Demul. Binhack inserts code to unlock the drive into the IP.BIN but he is leaving that out, so this is what FamilyGuy and I predicted would happen, the game immediately crashes because it cannot see the disc once the binary is executed

either
1) use binhack and then after re-insert track listings or whatever code is missing that breaks CDDA
Or
2) use the original ip.bin and re-insert the drive unlock code

truemaster

Registered
May 31, 2019
i have tryed 3 different images from @Pitito all fails after dc logo the vmy shows nightmare creatures but console is hard locked even presing x,a,y,b+start wont do anything. so yes its a security matter not reprodusable on demul. what hes trying to do is incretible it works on demul so if security issues fixed it will be veyy cool. and if powered by wince remains on license screen it will be even better

Pitito

Original poster
Registered
Jun 19, 2019
AGName
pitito
AG Join Date
03/08/2015
Well we have done three tests and it is clear that it is a security problem.
The tests I have done are:
With original ip.bin
With original ip.bin changing the values that binhack hacks into a katana ip.bin.
And finally with ip.bin katana hacked binhack modifying all the part of the toc, and eliminating the final part of data.

In all three cases the same happens, it works perfect in dmul, but it freezes in console

FamilyGuy

2049 Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
-=FamilyGuy=-
AG Join Date
March 3, 2007
Binhack32/64 wasn't made to be minimalistic, it is a relatively dumb clone that mostly reproduces what binhack does.

You could do as @darcagn said, just insert the minimal required code into the IP.BIN to unlock the drive.

You might want to check neoIP for that.

Pitito

Original poster
Registered
Jun 19, 2019
AGName
pitito
AG Join Date
03/08/2015
@FamilyGuy Yeah that's what i'm going to try from now on

Can you pass me binhack 32/64? I do not know if the one I have is the same as you say, although the one I have you are in the credits and it is from 2010

You could do as @darcagn said, just insert the minimal required code into the IP.BIN to unlock the drive.

You might want to check neoIP for that.

I also need neoip

Pitito

Original poster
Registered
Jun 19, 2019
AGName
pitito
AG Join Date
03/08/2015
I just did another test with ip.bin hacked except bootstrap 2 at offset 0x6000.
The tracks continue to play perfectly in the emulator, waiting to see what happens on the console

darcagn

Registered
May 30, 2019
dcemulation.org
AGName
darcagn
AG Join Date
May 12, 2007
Can you pass me binhack 32/64? I do not know if the one I have is the same as you say, although the one I have you are in the credits and it is from 2010

That's it

I also need neoip

More reference on unlocking the g1 bus

FamilyGuy

2049 Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
-=FamilyGuy=-
AG Join Date
March 3, 2007
@FamilyGuy Yeah that's what i'm going to try from now on

I also need neoip
It's on SourceForge, it's easy to find via Google.

Same goes for neoIP.

I'm on mobile so it's not convenient to link it myself.

Reactions: Pitito

truemaster

Registered
May 31, 2019
isnt the one on selfboot45000lba a binhack32/64? i think the old binhack is not compatible with x64 oses

FamilyGuy

2049 Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
-=FamilyGuy=-
AG Join Date
March 3, 2007
isnt the one on selfboot45000lba a binhack32/64? i think the old binhack is not compatible with x64 oses
Binhack 32/64 is a clone of binhack. I made it because, as you said, the original binhack is a 16bit program and doesn't work on 64bit Windows. It's included in the latest versions of my old selfboot pack.

It's a rather dumb clone though, I didn't reverse engineer anything. It just injects the bootstrap that binhack did in the boootsector and adjust the LBA in the bootbin to the one specified (+150).

Make a donation