Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

Why do some psp games have no depth buffer?

cavencruiser

Original poster
Registered
Dec 12, 2019
AGName
cavencruiser
I was wondering why some games like the tomb raiders on the psp have no depth buffer, was this some kind of hardware constraint like the n64, or is this just stupidity on the developers side? feel free to let me know why.

Attachments

• Screenshot (243).png
    Screenshot (243).png
    430.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (244).png
    Screenshot (244).png
    120.5 KB · Views: 0

Trimesh

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Trimesh
AG Join Date
Jul 4, 2008
Most likely because they were ported from systems that had no Z-buffer and hence the code already had some other method to control polygon visibility - if it worked and provided adequate performance there would be no reason to change it.

pato

Registered
Jan 20, 2019
Made me recall the PSP architecture was closer to PS1 than PS2.

cavencruiser

Original poster
Registered
Dec 12, 2019
AGName
cavencruiser
I was wondering why some games like the tomb raiders on the psp have no depth buffer, was this some kind of hardware constraint like the n64, or is this just stupidity on the developers side? feel free to let me know why.
but the ps2 does have a zbuffer... Strange.. Come to think of it, does the psp even have hardware support for skinning or weighting?

Ioncannon

Registered
Jun 25, 2019
AGName
Ioncannon
AG Join Date
Oct 19, 2010
Didn't Tomb Raider come out for Saturn first? Did the Saturn have a depth buffer?

Trimesh

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Trimesh
AG Join Date
Jul 4, 2008
Didn't Tomb Raider come out for Saturn first? Did the Saturn have a depth buffer?

No - it just rendered primitives in the order they were supplied. SGL had support for maintaining Z-sorted display lists so you could add them in any order and they would be rendered from back to front. The PS1 used basically the same approach.

FamilyGuy

2049 Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
-=FamilyGuy=-
AG Join Date
March 3, 2007
Most likely because they were ported from systems that had no Z-buffer and hence the code already had some other method to control polygon visibility - if it worked and provided adequate performance there would be no reason to change it.
I see you've met¹ professional programmers...

¹ Or are, but I was under the impression that you were more of an electrical engineer.

Trimesh

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Trimesh
AG Join Date
Jul 4, 2008
I see you've met¹ professional programmers...

¹ Or are, but I was under the impression that you were more of an electrical engineer.

Yeah, I'm an EE, but I have done some bits of software development. I long ago came to the conclusion that if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Reactions: FamilyGuy

reifert

Jul 18, 2020
Trimesh is right

Enabling the depth buffer - at best, the output might look different from the other ports, and in the worst case, it might expose bugs in the models or game engine.

Make a donation