sammyrms1

Original poster
May 30, 2019
AGName
sammyrms1
AG Join Date
Nov 1, 2014
INYaMEF.jpg
Just to bring back an old thread from Assembler, Here's what we know about Sony's upcoming console from CES 2020:

ECPmvOu.jpg

What Sony mentioned earlier before CES:
-Disc support (obviously)
-Backwards compatibility for PS4 games

Update 4/7:
We get a look at DualSense, the new controller for the system:

Update 6/16, since I forgot to do it earlier:
The PS5's final hardware design revealed, comes in with optical drive, and without (digital only):
6EJPSTU.png

Update 9/16:
Sony announces prices for PS5 and PS5 Digital and a release date:

Games announced:
  • Grand Theft Auto V + Online (port)
  • Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  • Gran Turismo 7
  • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
  • Project Athia
  • Stray
  • Returnal
  • Sackboy: A Big Adventure
  • Destruction Allstars
  • Kena: Bridge of Spirits
  • Goodbye Volcano High
  • Oddworld: Soulstorm
  • Ghostwire Tokyo
  • JETT: The Far Shore
  • Godfall
  • Solar Ash
  • Hitman III
  • Astro's Playroom
  • Little Devil Inside
  • NBA 2K21
  • Bugsnax
  • Demon's Souls
  • Deathloop
  • Resident Evil Village
  • Pragmata
  • Horizon: Forbidden West
  • Final Fantasy XVI
  • New God of War game
  • Hogwarts Legacy
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
  • Devil May Cry 5: Special Edition
  • New FNAF game?
  • Fortnite

The console is expected to be released around November 12 in NA, Japan, S. Korea, NZ, and Australia and November 19 Worldwide.

Last edited:

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
I read somewhere that the PS5 will have backwards compatibility with all previous PS systems (I'm guessing that means the consoles, not the handhelds), but I think that was just a rumor - so no way to be sure if it's true until Sony reveals more information about the system.

Allie

The Original VF3 Fangirl™
Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Anthaemia.
AG Join Date
June 4, 2004
According to a recent Digital Foundry article, it looks as if the CPU and GPU are designed to have three separate modes, with the clock speeds for two of these identical to those found in the PS4 and PS4 Pro respectively, so that appears to confirm some degree of hardware backward compatibility. As for how PS5 will run games from earlier Sony platforms, it looks as if that is to be achieved through either software emulation or possibly a cloud-based solution, though I've seen no mention of the PSP and PS Vita yet. There were also some possible specifications leaked recently, but it's possible they relate to early dev kits that may have placeholder or incomplete components...

PopetherevXXVIII

Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
as somebody who collects everything playstation before PS3 Backcompat is more than welcome..

Mr Framemiester has a few small issues with PS2 and some PS1 games are just unplayable.

Arcadia

Donator
Donator
Community Contributor
May 30, 2019
Donations
£8.55
AGName
Arcadia
According to a recent Digital Foundry article, it looks as if the CPU and GPU are designed to have three separate modes, with the clock speeds for two of these identical to those found in the PS4 and PS4 Pro respectively, so that appears to confirm some degree of hardware backward compatibility.

Why would there be a clock speed equivalent to PS4 "non-pro" ("amateur"?), are there some games incompatible with PS4 Pro?

ItsMeMario

Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AGName
ItsMeMario
AG Join Date
Feb 11, 2014

I love that design, finally something out of the ordinary. :D

If its real, that is...

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
As for how PS5 will run games from earlier Sony platforms, it looks as if that is to be achieved through either software emulation or possibly a cloud-based solution, though I've seen no mention of the PSP and PS Vita yet.

I think it’s probably software emulation. We’ve known for a while now that Sony has emulators for all of their previous systems. Their PS1 emulator (POPS) has near total compatibility, and it seems likely their PS2 emulator does too. The only question is what state their PS3 emulator is in. Even Microsoft wasn’t able to have total compatibility with the 360, and the PS3 is supposedly more complicated and more difficult to emulate. But maybe Sony has secretly made some advances in that area, or they’ve hired someone to do the job.

Maybe the PS5's hardware is better suited to emulating the PS3, compared to the PS4.

Why would there be a clock speed equivalent to PS4 "non-pro" ("amateur"?), are there some games incompatible with PS4 Pro?

This is probably so that any games that aren't PS4 Pro or PS5 "Enhanced" will still work on the system. So, any game on the PS4 or PS4 Pro could theoretically be playable on the PS5.

I don't know of any games that are incompatible with the Pro, but there are plenty that aren't "Enhanced". I could be wrong, but I think the PS4 Pro also has this same feature, which allows it to run PS4 games that aren't PS4 Pro Enhanced at the same CPU and GPU clock speeds as the PS4 (not the Pro).

Last edited:
Reactions: Arcadia

sammyrms1

Original poster
May 30, 2019
AGName
sammyrms1
AG Join Date
Nov 1, 2014
Sony just premiered the Road to PS5 recently:

So, what's the actual console going to look like?

Reactions: Anthony817

Anthony817

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
Dammit Cerny, I wanted to hear about PS1, PS2 and PS3 backwards compatibility! We all expected PS4 compatibility since it is still going to be an x86 architecture system. I fully expect to see PS1 games emulated in true 4K HD with hardware acceleration. No reason to pull the same crap that was done on the PS3, a system light years more advanced than the PSX but still rendering the games at a native 240p upscaled to 1080p isn't going to cut it this time. They way things are going I don't see Sony beating Microsoft this gen if they don't reveal that it has backwards compatibility with all previous home consoles they have developed. Hell, PSP and Vita emulation should be possible too.

Allie

The Original VF3 Fangirl™
Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Anthaemia.
AG Join Date
June 4, 2004
I suspect that presentation was a little more dry and hardware-oriented than many were expecting, but it definitely ticked all the right boxes for me. Where the Microsoft approach seems to be power, Sony is going for relatively conservative yet ultimately faster specifications, with the gap bridged through optimisation and custom elements. The biggest difference is PS5 offering consumers the option to add select backup devices, while Series X opts for a proprietary solution. Also, for all the talk of Microsoft's hardware running at fixed clock speeds, it seems odd that Sony is tiptoeing apologetically around its own highest performance figure being something that games won't always use, somewhat confirming the 9.2TF number leaked via GitHub. Of course, any console is only ever going to be as good as its best software, with Sony trading on reputation and only pledging PS4 backward compatibility in contrast to Microsoft, where Xbox is now a branded family of platforms rather than just the most recent product. To many, I suspect the biggest point to consider will be price, and I can definitely see the PS5 selling at launch for $499 or maybe even lower against the premium price tag we should expect for Series X. Now, what happened to the entry level system codenamed Lockhart, and has the door been left open for a theoretical mid-generation refresh for the PS5?

Anthony817

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
Yes, but now modern emulators have fixed the texture warping of PSX games, and when emulated in RetroArch they look like native PC games from the era, with beautiful hardware rendering too. The Beetle HW core is a huge thing for PSX emulation. I mean, Microsoft focused on improving their older games when emulated on the Xbox One, so surely with the technology we have now Sony would be able to make the games look nicer.

Just look how beautiful GT2 looks on it without texture shimmering. If this kind of emulation was standard on PS5 it would be mind blowing.

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
Yes, but now modern emulators have fixed the texture warping of PSX games, and when emulated in RetroArch they look like native PC games from the era, with beautiful hardware rendering too. The Beetle HW core is a huge thing for PSX emulation.

Fair enough, that does look pretty nice. I'm not sure what the odds are of Sony using something like that, but I guess it is possible. I'd like them to do that, but it probably won't affect my decision about the system.

My feelings about the next gen in general: right now I'm debating whether I should build a new PC or get a PS5, though I'll probably do both eventually. My strategy this generation has been to use my PC for playing multiplatform games with better graphics, and my PS4 for exclusives. Overall, that strategy seemed to work pretty well - so I'll probably continue that with the next generation. The PS4 still has some pretty cool-looking exclusives that have yet to come out, like the Last of Us Part II and Final Fantasy VII Remake (the latter is a timed exclusive).

Reactions: spademytal

Anthony817

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
Honestly all of my modern gaming is done on PC. I just really like an open platform and games are way cheaper on sales on PC too. PC is good cause we get every first party Xbox game, and are even starting to get a few exclusives from PlayStation now as well. Horizon Zero Dawn has a Steam page now, and they are a first party development studio for Sony. So hopefully more games come over to PC from Sony as well. We even got the PS3/4 backlog of games from Quantic Dream ported over recently as well, not to mention the Yakuza games are coming out on PC. Uncharted 2 is rumored to also be coming to PC in the future in addition to Horizon Zero Dawn, so it really is a great time to be a PC gamer.

What would lead me to definately get a PS5 is if they fully sypported at least all their previous home console games. We are at a point in time PS3 emulation is well and truly amazing on even mid range gaming PC's now. First party PS3 emulation by Sony could really sell this system to peopel over the Xbox, or to people who also have a PC who would want to get one for the exclusives, since we tend to get everything else on PC anyway.

FamilyGuy

2049 Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
-=FamilyGuy=-
AG Join Date
March 3, 2007
Honestly all of my modern gaming is done on PC. I just really like an open platform and games are way cheaper on sales on PC too. PC is good cause we get every first party Xbox game, and are even starting to get a few exclusives from PlayStation now as well. Horizon Zero Dawn has a Steam page now, and they are a first party development studio for Sony. So hopefully more games come over to PC from Sony as well. We even got the PS3/4 backlog of games from Quantic Dream ported over recently as well, not to mention the Yakuza games are coming out on PC. Uncharted 2 is rumored to also be coming to PC in the future in addition to Horizon Zero Dawn, so it really is a great time to be a PC gamer.

What would lead me to definately get a PS5 is if they fully sypported at least all their previous home console games. We are at a point in time PS3 emulation is well and truly amazing on even mid range gaming PC's now. First party PS3 emulation by Sony could really sell this system to peopel over the Xbox, or to people who also have a PC who would want to get one for the exclusives, since we tend to get everything else on PC anyway.
I mean that's the eternal PC vs Console argument since the Pentium II era.

Consoles are cheaper for the HW and more expensive for the SW. They're worth it for casual gamers (or the ones getting old with no free time, there's a lot of us) AND/OR if you like the exclusives AND/OR people looking for a good *New-Media-Format-be-it-SVDC-CD-DVD-BluRay-even-HDDVD* player AND/OR people that don't care to bother with configurations and drivers.

Over the ~7years lifespan of a console, you'll be able to get AAA games running well-enough on it, for ~500$ initial cost and zero headache. That last point is more important that you might think when you're a busy adult with a busy life. If you only play a game or two per year, it makes financial sense to get a console over a gaming PC.

Personally, I'm probably gonna get a PC and a PS5 in the next few years granted I can spare the cash; one for tinkering and one for exclusives on the couch. I've only had laptops for the last 15 years or so.

I like Sony's approach to the SSD with a possible M.2 upgrade better. Competition will probably drive the prices down compared to Microsoft's proprietary SSDs.

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
Yes, but now modern emulators have fixed the texture warping of PSX games, and when emulated in RetroArch they look like native PC games from the era, with beautiful hardware rendering too. The Beetle HW core is a huge thing for PSX emulation. I mean, Microsoft focused on improving their older games when emulated on the Xbox One, so surely with the technology we have now Sony would be able to make the games look nicer.

I actually tried the perspective correction feature in the Beetle PSX emulator. It works pretty well, and overall it's very impressive, but it's not perfect and still needs some improvement. This emulator is already very advanced, but not all games work equally well with the perspective correction, and there are some issues with performance that oddly seem to be related to the disc drive. Anyway, I don't see how you could expect Sony to include something like this that's still in an incomplete state. Sony could make improvements to it themselves, but even they may run into technical challenges that prevent it from working perfectly. It's possible that they might release something like that in the future, but I think it's pretty unrealistic to expect them to include something that's still at such an early stage. Trying to do something like this is totally different from emulating the OG Xbox, too. The Xbox already has perspective correction, and as far as I know all the One does is increase the resolution. The Beetle PSX emulator is evidently doing some pretty complex stuff to radically improve the visuals; it isn't really fair to compare that to the way the One handles OG Xbox games.

The DualSense looks cool I think, though I've liked almost all of Sony's controllers, especially the DS4. I actually like the 2-tone color scheme, but I can understand why some people might not like it. I'm really interested to see what the system looks like. Considering they've now shown the controller, it seems reasonable to expect they'll probably be showing off the system fairly soon.

Anthony817

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
I don't mean only that effect, just in general, a hardware accelerated PSX emulator that at least does minimal the enhancements that Bleemcast did on the DC would be something they could be expected to do. At least native render them at 480p and then upscale that to whatever external resolution the system is on. That is what makes it so hard to go back to the 5th gen systems. It had great art that I think was held back by super low resolution, even by TV standards of the day. 2D games look good on modern screens, but native 5th gen stuff still could use some slight improvements honestly. Of course this is just my personal opinion, there are people who just like to play the games at the original resolution without any texture filtering.

The Dreamcast, and now OG Xbox can do hardware accelerated PSX games at 480p and above. Hopefully one will exist on the PS3 in the future since now custom RSX drivers are at least in the work for Linux in OtherOS. Hopefully OpenGL will be done too. I just had hoped something in the same vein would appear on their official next gen system. Hell even the PS2 did texture filtering of PSX games at least.

Last edited:

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
That is what makes it so hard to go back to the 5th gen systems. It had great art that I think was held back by super low resolution, even by TV standards of the day.

The PS1 used the same resolution that nearly every console up until the Dreamcast used - some had lower resolutions. The PS1 could also do higher resolutions, like 480i. I think the subset of people who want to play PS1 games on a modern system like the PS5 and need the games to be enhanced is probably fairly limited. If you need the enhancement, there are already numerous ways to do that with other systems. If you're the kind of person who is concerned with convenience and ease of use above all else, then the enhancement probably isn't that important to you. The intersection of those two groups must be fairly small.

Apart from the Beetle emulator, I think playing most PS1 games a CRT is the best option. I've played PS1 games on my NEC XV29 Plus in RGB, and they generally look really good. If I play them on a PS2 with texture filtering enabled, some of them look even better - almost like an N64 game in RGB. I can also play many ports of PS1 games on my Windows 98 PC. Those games look amazing on the XV29. If PS1 gaming is something you're really serious about, then something like this is the way to go. If that's not an option, then just use the Beetle emulator.

I agree with you more when it comes to the PS2 and PS3, because I think those systems' games definitely would look good on a modern TV at a higher resolution. I think it would be reasonable to expect Sony to have enhancements for those systems, considering this would be basically equivalent to what Microsoft did for the original Xbox and the 360 on the One - though, it's worth noting that not all 360 games had enhancements, some of them were just identical to the way they were on the 360. The PS2 and the original Xbox are also very different in terms of hardware, and as a result emulating them is different. We still don't know what Sony has planned for the PS5, so for now we can only speculate.

Last edited:

Make a donation