Original poster
Oct 11, 2021
AGName
Buildouttagames
AG Join Date
11/10/2021
eBay Username
Jborrowdale
I think you'll find the possibility of uncovering a prototype on your system, recovering it, and maybe being able to play it more gratifying than playing any ordinary game for a couple of hours... You should listen to mementomori, it would best to have closure on this type of thing. "One day" might come and whatever was on there might only be in fragments...

Please consider it, and I think you should check out the OG discord. People would be happy to help you I'm sure :)
Im thinking of donating it to OG

Edward_2452

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 29, 2019
AGName
james2452
The value of your console lies in the data you can recover from it; preserving that data is only going to ruin the console if you can't read the guide and you brick it. As mentioned there is an archive of DEX OFW, it's from the same place the REBUG CFW I linked you. You can take note of the firmware it was on from system settings, and grab that once you're done grabbing the eid_root_key. The process is so straightforward, I can guarantee you nothing will go wrong as long as you follow it to a T.

If you want to just have the test kit for show, so be it. Your console, you do what you want. But just know that you could very well be sitting on valuable data that would be of major benefit for researches, modders and gaming fans alike, and unfortunately, dumping the EID with CFW is the most accessible way to know this for sure after you dump the hard drive. I own a few PS3 kits that had deleted prototypes I was able to recover, I've donated/shared some for release in the past.

I sincerely hope you consider dumping the kit at some point, as even just some closure on whether or not you have data would ease concerns of what the kit's got tucked away. Besides, anyone can find a DECH or DECR unit, many of these have sold, publicly or privately, in the past half a decade. Not everybody can find the same history underneath though.

Apologies for the massive write-up here, you're not in trouble and ultimately it is your decision, but I think you'd be surprised and intrigued by what's been discovered through these dumping methods. Look at the Terareleases here if you want examples 🙂
With the one i have thats got 37gb of deleted stuff on it i might just sell it but it does look nice with the asset tags on it. I don't use PS3, i only get them if there cheap. My PS3 slim devkit i got that for £65 and it came with 6 discs , i sold one disc for £50 ,so it only cost me £15 for the console and the disc's.

mementomori

proto person
A9L Staff
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Jan 20, 2019
Donations
£7.46
AG Join Date
Jan 22, 2017
With the one i have thats got 37gb of deleted stuff on it i might just sell it but it does look nice with the asset tags on it. I don't use PS3, i only get them if there cheap. My PS3 slim devkit i got that for £65 and it came with 6 discs , i sold one disc for £50 ,so it only cost me £15 for the console and the disc's.
If you ever decide on whether to sell the kit, you can message me, I might be interested in it 🙂

Reactions: Edward_2452

mementomori

proto person
A9L Staff
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Jan 20, 2019
Donations
£7.46
AG Join Date
Jan 22, 2017
Hello, I was responding to Edward (hence why I quoted his post). Sorry for the confusion

Make a donation