Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

Dreamcast VMU Genesis emulator

RobbyTheBrobot

Original poster
Nov 10, 2020
AG Join Date
Jul 28, 2016
Not sure this counts as modding but i used the button contacts of the potato's board to make a genesis console with a raspberry pi zero. Still a work in progress but id like to add a battery and make this a legit VMU encased mobile genesis (master system), but space is an issue.

Disclaimer: i used the steam uncompressed genesis games for this.20201118_164839.jpg20201118_164848.jpg20201118_164819.jpg20201118_164813.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Raen and FamilyGuy

Tachikoma

Registered
Sep 28, 2020
AGName
Tachikoma
AG Join Date
Some time in March 2004...? hard to remember exactly when, but the forum backup has posts going back to then so let's go with that!
Love it!

I wonder if an ESP32 might be more suitable, I know there are a few emulators running on it, and it's half the size of the Pi Zero.

Reactions: RobbyTheBrobot

RobbyTheBrobot

Original poster
Nov 10, 2020
AG Join Date
Jul 28, 2016
Love it!

I wonder if an ESP32 might be more suitable, I know there are a few emulators running on it, and it's half the size of the Pi Zero.
That might be what i need! I was wondering what might be a good smaller alternative. It was pretty laggy at first but after manually setting the emulator resolution and changing to the other emulator retropie comes with it smoothed out a lot more. But its cool the vmu has just enough buttons to work as a genesis controller

RobbyTheBrobot

Original poster
Nov 10, 2020
AG Join Date
Jul 28, 2016

I didn't do a real clean job soldering up the buttons and start is a bit hard to use at times, also the d-pad is very touchy.

Last edited:

Tachikoma

Registered
Sep 28, 2020
AGName
Tachikoma
AG Join Date
Some time in March 2004...? hard to remember exactly when, but the forum backup has posts going back to then so let's go with that!
That might be what i need! I was wondering what might be a good smaller alternative. It was pretty laggy at first but after manually setting the emulator resolution and changing to the other emulator retropie comes with it smoothed out a lot more. But its cool the vmu has just enough buttons to work as a genesis controller

I think the ESP32 is resource limited to 8bit console emulation, but it would be awesome to see the VMU converted to a classic GameBoy.

RobbyTheBrobot

Original poster
Nov 10, 2020
AG Join Date
Jul 28, 2016
I've seen the circuit gem before but its been a long time I had forgotten about that. But while being really cool I feel like it takes some of the fun out of it being mostly complete already. It looks like pre-orders are closed, is he planning to make more?
I found this today which seems promising as a small emulator chip but Its a bit more expensive than a pi zero, but says its only 25.6mm x 25.6mm x 3.0mm

Make a donation