Very Dead Dreamcast

AstroG

Original poster
Dec 19, 2020
AGName
AstroG
AG Join Date
06/30/2014
So this is a bit of a strange situation. I decided to perform the citrus3000psi 10% overclock mod. I did it correctly and even replaced the thermal pads with Fujipoly 1.5mm. It all worked great but here's the strange part.

My Dreamcast has always been very sensitive to static shocks to the controller and if I plug in a second controller or keyboard, the console would always reset. I never thought too much of it and figured it was a quirk of the hardware. I now know that is a fault with the controller port fuse but didn't at the time. As you can imagine, a shock went into the controller port and now I have a dead overclocked Dreamcast. I reversed the overclock mod and checked the power supply with one of my known good Dreamcasts. Everything works except for the DC mobo. The now bad mobo won't power on at all. I've thought about recapping it but other than that, I don't know what else to do. Is there a fuse on the mobo? Since it was OC'd, I'm just under the assumption the cpu is fried.

segasonicfan

Registered
Jun 8, 2019
AGName
segasonicfan
AG Join Date
Sept 23, 2011
there are generally surface mount fuses and also some LDO Regulators that you can check on motherboards. That's where I would start.

Electric shock into the controller Port doesn't sound good, but there are EMI fuses for this... poke around and see what you can find.

poke around and see what you can find.

Also, I think maybe there are Dreamcast schematics available? Although I haven't checked.

Make a donation