Still such a fun game

dark

Registered
Jun 19, 2019
AGName
dark
AG Join Date
September 2, 2011
Great game, I've never seen one in the wild. Alpine Racer 1 is my preferred 3d skiing game of the 90s.
Awbacon, I know you enjoy these 3d skiing games. If you've never seen it, you might want to check out Front Page Sports Ski Racing for msdos (disc image available on archive.org). It basically looks like Alpine Racer but tries to be more of a sim than an arcade game (whether it succeeds is debatable). It seems to be kind of obscure these days, there's hardly any youtube footage of it.

Awbacon

Original poster
Registered
Top Poster Of Month
May 31, 2019
Great game, I've never seen one in the wild. Alpine Racer 1 is my preferred 3d skiing game of the 90s.
Awbacon, I know you enjoy these 3d skiing games. If you've never seen it, you might want to check out Front Page Sports Ski Racing for msdos (disc image available on archive.org). It basically looks like Alpine Racer but tries to be more of a sim than an arcade game (whether it succeeds is debatable). It seems to be kind of obscure these days, there's hardly any youtube footage of it.
NEVER heard of that. Will 100% check it out. Thanks for the rec!

Awbacon

Original poster
Registered
Top Poster Of Month
May 31, 2019

Blade Master. Amazing game...but it will destroy you!

Awbacon

Original poster
Registered
Top Poster Of Month
May 31, 2019

Gaiapolis. A legit amazing beat em up with relatively deep RPG elements

Awbacon

Original poster
Registered
Top Poster Of Month
May 31, 2019

Awesome offshoot of the Gradius series

Awbacon

Original poster
Registered
Top Poster Of Month
May 31, 2019

Yes I know it's been ported but the Saturn and Windows ports are so inferior to the Model 2 original I don't count them...plus I make the rules so lol

Sifting

Registered
Aug 23, 2019
You do a great job with all these videos. I watch them when ever I get the chance, and love that you have that nuanced kind of critical perception that's so rare in these presentations - the hokey-ness of house of the dead and resident evil is like half the fun! The idea that everything has to be super grim, serious and high production is just ridiculous, so it's nice to know there are others out there who think in the same vein.

On an unrelated note, what's the state of the search for D2 on the M2 these days? I understand that you're the go-to person for it. Any new discoveries or potential leads since your last video?

Awbacon

Original poster
Registered
Top Poster Of Month
May 31, 2019
You do a great job with all these videos. I watch them when ever I get the chance, and love that you have that nuanced kind of critical perception that's so rare in these presentations - the hokey-ness of house of the dead and resident evil is like half the fun! The idea that everything has to be super grim, serious and high production is just ridiculous, so it's nice to know there are others out there who think in the same vein.

On an unrelated note, what's the state of the search for D2 on the M2 these days? I understand that you're the go-to person for it. Any new discoveries or potential leads since your last video?
Thanks for the feedback...appreciate it!

No new news on D2 but I did just recently recover more M2 software. Something that was not available till I found it. I will dump and release it to the community for free when the video goes live :)

Awbacon

Original poster
Registered
Top Poster Of Month
May 31, 2019

easily a 10/10 game

dark

Registered
Jun 19, 2019
AGName
dark
AG Join Date
September 2, 2011
Prop Cycle is a really refreshing game, Namco did a great job with the gameplay and the overall concept. My main nitpick would be that the ending video, which seems to take place before the events covered in the gameplay and provides some info on the characters motiviations, simply feels like it should be an intro video or attract mode video to help provide context to the player. It feels weird to have a video that takes place before the kid hops on the bike, occur only after the kid has biked through multiple levels and reached the end. I think I read on wikipedia that the developer eventually regretted his choice of putting the ending video at the end of the game.

The aesthetic of this game reminds me of Tail Concerto. Each have a vibrant colored world full of green grass, canyons, sunny days, floating pieces of land and structures, and Tail Concerto also has several flying vehicles. In each game, the era of technology embodied by the wooden buildings and machinery seems to give a turn of the century 1900 feel rather than something set in the far future.

I haven't played it myself, but Sky Gunner on PS2 seems to be another game with a similar aesthetic and circa 1900 fantasy feel. The player flyes around in a rudimentary looking craft, albeit its a combat game rather than a time trial/score attack kind of thing.

Awbacon

Original poster
Registered
Top Poster Of Month
May 31, 2019
Prop Cycle is a really refreshing game, Namco did a great job with the gameplay and the overall concept. My main nitpick would be that the ending video, which seems to take place before the events covered in the gameplay and provides some info on the characters motiviations, simply feels like it should be an intro video or attract mode video to help provide context to the player. It feels weird to have a video that takes place before the kid hops on the bike, occur only after the kid has biked through multiple levels and reached the end. I think I read on wikipedia that the developer eventually regretted his choice of putting the ending video at the end of the game.

The aesthetic of this game reminds me of Tail Concerto. Each have a vibrant colored world full of green grass, canyons, sunny days, floating pieces of land and structures, and Tail Concerto also has several flying vehicles. In each game, the era of technology embodied by the wooden buildings and machinery seems to give a turn of the century 1900 feel rather than something set in the far future.

I haven't played it myself, but Sky Gunner on PS2 seems to be another game with a similar aesthetic and circa 1900 fantasy feel. The player flyes around in a rudimentary looking craft, albeit its a combat game rather than a time trial/score attack kind of thing.
I haven't played Sky Gunner out yet but I'll have to check it out for sure. Thanks for the recommendation!

Awbacon

Original poster
Registered
Top Poster Of Month
May 31, 2019

a legit fun and obscure game

Awbacon

Original poster
Registered
Top Poster Of Month
May 31, 2019

Best Armadillo game ever made