Original poster
Donator
Registered
Jun 1, 2019
AGName
Tongara
AG Join Date
Sep 23, 2009
So, I am a big fan of Clockwork Knight... and I have a LOT of Clockwork Knight stuff, and I'm going to post it over time to this thread.

How many other people will care? Very few I imagine, but the series is very special to me, so I am a keen collector of the franchise and anything to do with it.

First off, we'll start with the 2 prototypes I own (Both of which I have dumped in the past and are available on Hidden Palace to enjoy):

1. Clockwork Knight Puzzle/Pengin War (Oct 21, 1995 prototype - Japan)

uuR42wD.jpg

A prototype of the unreleased Clockwork Knight: Pengin War for the Sega Saturn. Also know as "Clockwork Knight Puzzle" in some magazine previews, and simply "Clockwork Puzzle" on the CD the prototype came from. I bought this prototype from the previous owner in late 2017, who bought it around 10 years earlier from an editor of Spanish Multi-Platform game magazine called "Super Juegos", who obtained it during the Saturn era.

"Pengin War" is, of course, not an official name for this game (the game refers to itself simply as "Clockwork Knight Pepperouchau's Adventure"), but has become widely known as such due to the existence of the words "Pengin War" in the prototype version's header. Gameplay is similar to Sega's Pengo, which may suggest "Pengin" is a misspelling of "Penguin".

There is a long history to this prototype, which I won't get into with this post, but I am currently working on a video documenting it, so that is... something!
(Hidden Palace Link: https://hiddenpalace.org/Clockwork_Knight:_Pengin_War_(Oct_21,_1995_prototype))

2. Clockwork Knight 2 (Aug 30, 1995 prototype - USA)

RuzXeyD.jpg

An in-progress translation prototype. This prototype was bought from a private seller on eBay in late 2017. The seller said they bought it from a "gentleman in Santa Cruz, Californa, who used to be a developer", along with "a bunch of other games," including "another Saturn production CD-R" (No idea what that may be, as the seller never elaborated, sadly).

The date of this build appears to be 1995.08.30 (Based on the file dates), which would make this build just over 1 month newer than JP release (1995.07.28), just under 2 months before the final PAL version release (1995.10.27) and 5/6 months before the final US version release (1996.01/02). Just to be clear, this is not simply a conversion of the later dated PAL version, as mentioned above, the file creation dates for this builds burn are 1995.08.30, where as the final PAL version's files have a creation date of 1995.09.08, making this build around 10 days earlier.

An interesting thing to note is, as this was the same version that was later used for the PAL release, it actually contains a "credits" screen after defeating the final boss and watching the ending FMV, unlike the US version of the title, which simple brings you back to the title screen after counting the cards you collected in the game (Which is the same case for Clockwork Knight: Pepperouchau no Fukubukuro). It also includes the "Crazy TV" boss fight at the start of the game, as is the case with the Japanese and PAL versions of Clockwork Knight 2.

The prototype also runs at a resolution of 352x224 much like the retail NTSC-U/J releases, while the retail PAL release runs at 352x240.
(Hidden Palace Link: https://hiddenpalace.org/Clockwork_Knight_2_(Aug_30,_1995_prototype))

Last edited:

Druid II

Registered
Jun 5, 2019
along with a bunch of other games, including another Saturn production CD-R (No idea what that may be).

Any chance you could let us take a look at it? Maybe we could help to figure it out.

Tongara

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
Jun 1, 2019
AGName
Tongara
AG Join Date
Sep 23, 2009
Any chance you could let us take a look at it? Maybe we could help to figure it out.
Ah, sadly that is just what the seller let me know when I asked how he obtained the CK2 disc. He never told me what it was, sorry. I've tried to make my wording a little more clear in the OP.

Tongara

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
Jun 1, 2019
AGName
Tongara
AG Join Date
Sep 23, 2009
For today's post, I think I'll post something on the more "Not For Sale" disc side of Clockwork Knight.

1. Clockwork Knight Sample (Japan)

tw5GObN.jpg
MIFKL4W.jpg
yuxdnq3.jpg

"Clockwork Knight Sample" is what it says on the tin. This disc has the markings of "見本盤" and "非売品" indicating that they it is simply a sample version of the game, and it was not for retail sale and/or resale. This likely would have been given to gaming Magazines, etc, to review the game before release, and perhaps even retailers prior to the launch of the Saturn.

It has a product code of "DGS-9004", while the final Japanese retail release is "GS-9004". The cover/manual is a single sheet with nothing on the inside, as shown above. A data comparison shows that the data is 1:1 for the Japanese retail release of the game, so it's really only one for collectors and Clockwork Knight fans.

On a semi-related note, there is a extremely similar Sample disc for the first Virtua Fighter game, which has "Virtua Fighter Mihonban Hibaihin (バーチャファイター 見本盤 非売品)" and a product code of "VFDEMO" written on the disc, although that demo kicks you out after the third opponent (Sarah), despite the full games data being on the disc (maybe there is a code to unlock the full game? Oh well, that is for another thread~).

2. Clockwork Knight 2 (PAL Promo/Silver)

From what I remember, I bought this on eBay around 7 years ago,and I believe the seller said they worked for SEGA in the UK at one point (perhaps as a tester, I can't fully remember), althought, that may have been another seller with another item.

The text on the fabric CD case says "Clockwork Knight 2 Functional Test Sample". Sadly, from what I remember, like nearly every other Saturn PAL Silver/Promo CD, it was identical to the retail PAL release of the game.

It's currently away in storage, so I can't check right now, and that is why I've used older pictures I have of the disc. Just a nice thing to have as a collector, regardless.

I wonder if there was ever a PAL Silver/Promo for the first Clockwork Knight?

Last edited:
Reactions: SuperH

Tongara

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
Jun 1, 2019
AGName
Tongara
AG Join Date
Sep 23, 2009
For today's post, I think I'll post something a bit more on the "Retail Sample" side, with this special PAL case.

1. Clockwork Knight - SAMPLE Retail Case (PAL)

EAhULOa.jpg

This one is an interesting one. First off, the case feels a bit more sturdy than a regular retail case, and the case has a less... "Glossy" feeling to it, but it actually feels nicer in a lot of ways. It retains the "sine" to the Sega Saturn logo on the front, etc. It also seems to hold discs a lot better than a usually retail PAL Saturn case. I haven't bothered to take pictures of the front of the case, as everything about it is like the normal retail version. The cool stuff is at the back...

As shown above, it has the word "SAMPLE" across the barcode, and there is a lack of "For use with PAL and French Sega Saturn Systems" message to the right of the barcode.
The Product Code is "000-0000-00", as opposed to the regular retail release which has a product code of "670-6946-50".

(Above mentioned differences in the retail version of the case.)

In addition to this, the Dutch text (the last block of text) has a slightly different formatting to the retail version, and unlike the retail versions, contains no spelling mistakes for the dutch language.

(Above mentioned Dutch language differences in the retail version of the case.)

I actually bought this along with the earlier shown "Pengin Wars" proto, and the seller I bought this from thought it may have been the same box used in the official PAL press photo (together with the Saturn system, V.F. & Daytona USA boxes and some peripherals), but that isn't confirmed, sadly.

Again, it's really only one for collectors and Clockwork Knight fans. I feel happy to have it~

Reactions: SuperH

Allie

The Original VF3 Fangirl™
Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Anthaemia.
AG Join Date
June 4, 2004
I really hope that you're able to one day find a prototype build of the first Clockwork Knight, as quite a few different early versions were shown in various Japanese promotional tapes, yet actual discs from this period aren't out there (to my knowledge, anyway)...

Reactions: Tongara

Tongara

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
Jun 1, 2019
AGName
Tongara
AG Join Date
Sep 23, 2009
I really hope that you're able to one day find a prototype build of the first Clockwork Knight, as quite a few different early versions were shown in various Japanese promotional tapes, yet actual discs from this period aren't out there (to my knowledge, anyway)...
Ah, I really hope so, too! I have all of the videos you mentioned on my channel under a specific playlist.
I'll add that here:

So far, I've been able to pinpoint around 3-4 different prototypes, with the most interesting one (imo) being the Tokyo Toy Show '94 prototype from June 94, which was shown in a lot of magazines during the summer of 94. It features a lost character, and other interesting things. A few videos on my playlist contain videos of that build, including a strange Saturn promo video from early 1995 (Yeah, weird!).

Let's keep hoping something turns up at some point and I'm in the position to be able to grab it~

Tongara

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
Jun 1, 2019
AGName
Tongara
AG Join Date
Sep 23, 2009
For today's post, I think I'll post something very "90's", which has no real use in the modern world.

1. Clockwork Knight - Telephone Cards (Japan)
qun36fF.png

8gUrzbr.png

Remember Telephone Cards? They might have been known as "calling cards" or simply "phonecards", depending on where you live.
They were a great way to have immediate access to pay-phones in the 90's without having to carry change around.

SEGA's Japan branch (like many other companies in the region) released a bunch of these over the years, two of which happened to feature Clockwork Knight!

The little envelope that the second card came in says it was a gift from SEGA's Consumer Software R&D Headquarters, so I guess that is who the original owner was given it by. Sadly, I have no other information than this about it.

S4OyV6A.png
qHBh3T6.png

Again, it's really only something collectors and Clockwork Knight fans might be interested in, but I thought I'd show them off here.

Reactions: Wombat

Wombat

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Wombat
AG Join Date
14-03-2004
There is something magical about these type of dedicated collections! Mad respect for your dedication in getting all these rare Clockwork Knight items.

Tongara

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
Jun 1, 2019
AGName
Tongara
AG Join Date
Sep 23, 2009
For today's post, I think I'll post something a little bit interesting.

1. Clockwork Knight 3D/Lenticular Postcard (E3 1995)

cVgmVQP.jpg

w0dZi02.jpg

An interesting take on a postcard! I bought this one around 7 years ago from a seller on eBay located in France. The listing title and description claimed that the item was given away on the first day of the very first ever E3 (1995) around the SEGA booth. I had some doubts about that at the time, due to the Japanese writing on the back, but I've seen another listing prior to and after this listing that claimed the same thing, and after seeing a few other items that were given away that day, I am now taking it as fact.

Even if it turns out that this item was also given away/sold before this date sometime in Japan (which I'm 100% sure it was), that doesn't discount it being a giveaway item at E3, especially with the surprise launch of the Saturn and not having US promo items exactly "ready".

A clear version of this image can be found on the "Sega Saturn Photo CD Operating System" Disc, as shown below:
FyP8hGF.png

(Above mentioned image)

I really like this item. The characters and objects shift slightly one by one as the postcard moves, and it's such a shame I can't accurately show off the effect of it. I have to keep it pressed between books, as if I don't, the card actually begins to curl at the corners, etc... I think the Lenticular might be too weighty for the bottom or something? Who knows.

An interesting one, anyway, and absolutely one for Clockwork Knight nuts such as myself~

Reactions: takeshi385

Cerv3ro

Registered
Jun 7, 2019
AGName
Cerv3ro
AG Join Date
January 09 2016
Impresive stuff, really. Thanks for share your collection and all the information about it. A pleausure to read it.
And i really hope you to find that CK beta, i can't imagine a better home for it.

Tongara

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
Jun 1, 2019
AGName
Tongara
AG Join Date
Sep 23, 2009
For today's post, I think I'll post something music related.

1. Clockwork Knight: ~Pepperouchau no Daiboken~ Fantastic Soundtrack - Album (Japan)

gJkBvCQ.jpg
F0cuieI.jpg

The official soundtrack release for Clockwork Knight. It was released on 1995.07.26, which was 2 days before the Japanese release of Clockwork Knight 2 (07.28).

Sadly, the disc does not contain any of the songs from the in-game levels, but does include all of the vocal tracks and live-band instrumental tracks heard in the cutscenes, opening and ending videos of both Clockwork Knight released, etc, so it's quite lovely in it's own way.

The disc even includes an instrumental version of the Clockwork Knight 2 opening song "Salsa de Pepperouchau", so you too can become a Clockwork Knight star. Other than that, there is just some generally nice CG art inside, and full lyrics to all of the vocal tracks in English and Japanese.

I was actually lucky enough to become good friends with the games composer "Hirofumi Murasaki" around 7 years ago, and we met up in Shibuya, Tokyo in June 2015, when we went out for drinks. He was kind enough to sign the back of the booklet of my Soundtrack for me.

gBHWYUj.jpg

(Above mentioned signature)

More information for this release can be found on it's Sega Retro Wiki Page and it's VGMDB Page.

1. O.N.B. (One Note Better) - Israelites - Maxi-Single (Germany/Netherlands)

J4x0SU6.jpg

w6BbHte.jpg

(Eurodance Music DE Ver. Release)

d0PU18m.jpg

umAcBfc.jpg

(Xplosion NL Ver. Release)

This one is... easily one of the strangest pieces of my Clockwork Knight collection.

Israelites is an early 1996 maxi-single from German Euro house group O.N.B. It is a cover of the 1968 ska song by Desmond Dekker & The Aces.

Two specific CD release of the single were sponsored by Sega; One from a German label called "Eurodance Music", and the other was licensed from "I.S.S. Records, Germany" for the Dutch label called "Xplosion". How or why this promotional collaboration came to be is currently unknown... and believe me, I've spent a long time trying to find out!

I did manage to recently find the following piece of text about the single on page 12 of German language "Sega Magazin" 's 29th issue, dated 1996.03.13 (with a street date of April 1996), but sadly it offers no additional information of any meaning as to how the collaboration happened.

zGxFPTl.jpg

(Above mentioned magazine clipping about the single)

Despite the games have no meaningful connection to the song or the group performing it, the cover art for the single features Clockwork Knight materials and references in both releases, with the Eurodance Music release including an ad on the inside of it's inlay card showing off Clockwork Knight, a Sega Saturn control pad and the Video CD card.

k9ovIgq.jpg

(Above mentioned inlay ad)

This is exactly the same content included with a pamphlet included with early Sega Saturn PAL releases which showed off current games of the time and peripherals (Including, of course Clockwork Knight), although, by early 1996, this advert in the inlay was already outdated, as Clockwork Knight 2 was already released in PAL territories in October, 1995, and the included pamphlet in PAL region games had already changed at least once.

illRL3Y.jpg

(Above mentioned pamphlet)

If that was not enough, the official promotional music video for the song is made up of clips from the FMV footage of the first Clockwork Knight game (Mainly the opening and slight use of the final battle clip), which you can watch below:

So uh... yeah. Again, it's really only something collectors and Clockwork Knight fans might be interested in (And people who are into Eurodance music from the mid-90's), but I thought I'd show them off here.

Tongara

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
Jun 1, 2019
AGName
Tongara
AG Join Date
Sep 23, 2009
Been a while - For today's post, it's badge/pin time!

1. Clockwork Knight Pins from "Sega Saturn Masterpiece Title Can Badge Collection" (TGS 2017/SegaFes 2019)

Srhj1Ni.jpg

So, these badges/pins are nice little items, and if you were in Japan for Tokyo Game Show 2017 or SegaFes 2019, then they were very easy to get!

Going for a mere 300 Yen (¥300) a pop, these were available via Gachapon machines (Capsule Toy machines), but, as with all Capsule Ty machines, you never know what you're going to get... This is because, as the name indicates, "Masterpiece Title Can Badge Collection" is a collection of Sega Saturn related badges/pins, and Clockwork Knight just happens to be two of several to collect.

The following image shows pretty much the complete collection (Although, there are a few secret badges/pins!):
1562546114318.png

Unfortunately, as mentioned above, these so far have only been available at 2 events that have now passed, but I'm sure we'll see them again a some point~

Last edited:

Druid II

Registered
Jun 5, 2019
That autographed OST CD is very impressive.
The music on it is great too. "Pretty Please Boogie" has a lot of style to it, and "Lullaby" is a real tearjerker song. The singer has good English too, well, better than most Japanese.

oh and btw if I knew you were going to release that prime selection sampler, I could've just sent you my own dump + scan....

Tongara

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
Jun 1, 2019
AGName
Tongara
AG Join Date
Sep 23, 2009
That autographed OST CD is very impressive.
The music on it is great too. "Pretty Please Boogie" has a lot of style to it, and "Lullaby" is a real tearjerker song. The singer has good English too, well, better than most Japanese.

oh and btw if I knew you were going to release that prime selection sampler, I could've just sent you my own dump + scan....
Thank you! "A Lullaby" was actually written by the games composer for his daughter that was born before the game was released, and was originally titled "A Lullaby for Miss (Her Initial)".

He was inspired to title it that due to "The Beatles" making songs dedicated to their kids, etc, but was told that it was "too personal" by the games producer, so it was shortened to simply "A Lullaby".

It is a very good soundtrack, and yes, her pronounciatuon is top class. She has sang on other peoples music (English language, too), and is a professional vocal teacher now.

Example of her vocal teaching work...

And about the prime selection sampler - I looked for it and bought it from you because:
1. I wanted to own it, as it is a piece of Clockwork Knight history, plus I had looked for it for a very long time.
and
2. To release it into the wild for everyone to enjoy, which my own dump and scan allows.

When I bought it from you, I assumed I was allowed to do as I wished with it, as I would with any other game I bought. I am sorry if that was not what you had in mind when selling it to me. Not much can be done now if thay is the case.

Regardless, I am still on the look put for a copy with the cover included, as I did not realise the one I bought did not include it (which is my fault, I guess, because I did not ask if it was included), so I would like to obtain that and scan it at some point if I ever see it for sale again~

I am absolutely super greatful that you sold it to me, and hope you are not too upset by me releasing it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Allie

Make a donation