Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

PS2 The myth of the 16:9 and 1080i modes in NHL 2004

Domspun

Original poster
Registered
Jun 1, 2019
If you search the internet for PS2 games with alternate display modes, NHL 2004 will show as one of them on some sites. For example: https://en.everybodywiki.com/List_of_PlayStation_2_games_with_alternative_display_modes
Why is that?
This game doesn't have any alternate display modes at all. You can't force it. Even the Gamecube version only display in 480i with the original component cable. The best is the Xbox version in 480p.

I wonder how it came to be? There is no logic to it, I find it so random. Anyway, won't be the first time false informations stay on the internet for a long time.

Reactions: HermitTheHog

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
Probably just a mistake. It's not like the people who make such lists are perfect. Related to that, some of the things I've heard about PS2 video modes lead me to think that lists like that one are probably missing some games. For example, I've heard (but haven't been able to confirm) that Ninja Assault has a 480p mode, but it isn't on the list.

Tokimemofan

Registered
May 30, 2019
Probably because the same lists get passed around and nobody cares about some old sports game enough to actually check it

Reactions: Domspun

psydefx

Registered
Jul 6, 2019
AGName
psydefx
AG Join Date
March 27, 2016
maybe the mode was in a preview or review version and was then removed in the final retail game

sonik

Registered
Jul 24, 2019
AGName
sonik
AG Join Date
Mar 15, 2004
Probably just a mistake. It's not like the people who make such lists are perfect. Related to that, some of the things I've heard about PS2 video modes lead me to think that lists like that one are probably missing some games. For example, I've heard (but haven't been able to confirm) that Ninja Assault has a 480p mode, but it isn't on the list.
I can't get any of the lightgun ps2 games to output at 480p. And that's a shame as I would love to play guncon2 games at 480p on a vga crt monitor.

Make a donation