Jackhead

Original poster
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Jackhead
AG Join Date
April 3, 2008
i like to buy a MD/Genesis what can handle best sound/video output. I still own a MD2 PAL, MegaSG. but im not happy with sound. Picture on both are great..
Well there are some guides out there, many mods as well like the mega amp.
What you think is the best Mega Drive / Genesis Rev/model/region to start with and what mods to add for best sound and visual output?

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
This guide explains pretty much everything about the different revisions: https://www.sega-16.com/forum/showt...good-Genesis-1s-and-Genesis-2s-from-bad-onest

Basically the earlier versions are the best in terms of audio and video quality. If you want to mod the system, that’s another thing entirely; I can’t really give you any advice about that.

One bit of advice I do have: if you’re going to use SCART, make sure to use a high quality cable with composite sync. This should eliminate jailbars for systems that have this issue.

Jackhead

Original poster
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Jackhead
AG Join Date
April 3, 2008
i read that thread before, but i was after it not really sure what the best.
MD2 first model has best GPU, Sound are best on early MD1 japanese models..
What is with the Wondermega? I love that device will buy me one maybe. The first model of corse.

At the moment i think VA3 japanese model Mega drive are the best - nonmod?

Braintrash

Registered
Jun 7, 2019
AGName
Braintrash
AG Join Date
Nov 5, 2011
The Mega Sg is currently the best MD can buy. No kidding. Too much flaws for all the models.

Otherwise, yeah, VA3 japanese modded with triple bypass.

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
My system is a model 1 non-High Definition Graphics system, the "better" one shown in the picture without an EXT port. This system has the best video and audio output of any Genesis I've tried. According to that guide, it has the better sound hardware that was present in most of the early versions except for VA2. That guide doesn't say anything about RGB picture quality, but like I said, my system has the best RGB output of any Genesis I've tried - in fact, it has some of the best RGB quality of any system I've tried, not just the Genesis/MD. In general, I think what you want is a model 1 with a revision from VA3 to VA6.8. As far as the region, it's a bit complicated because the cartridge slot shape is different between different regions. What region games do you think you'll mostly be playing?

Jackhead

Original poster
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Jackhead
AG Join Date
April 3, 2008
I like to play MD JP Games over RGB on my CRT.
The Wondermega has also a Midi-Out. I wonder what is coming out there. I read only its for connecting a midi keyboard or so.
Was there any software for midi?

Last edited:

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
I think there was a cart called Wonder MIDI. Kisaku has a picture of it in their collection thread. The Wondermega doesn’t output RGB, only S-video and composite. It can be modded for RGB, but I think most people avoid it because it’s such a valuable and rare system. I have a Victor Wondermega RG-M1; I’ll post a picture of it later, if you want to see it. There was also another model, the RG-M2. That model was very different, and it was the basis of the X’Eye.

To answer your original question: I think Braintrash is right, a VA3 Japanese modded system is what you want. It’d probably be worth it to have one even if you also have a Wondermega, unless you don’t have enough space.

Jackhead

Original poster
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Jackhead
AG Join Date
April 3, 2008
So what i see and read so far a japanese VA3 can be a unit with the (R) in the Sega Logo.
I watch two HAA-2510 Models, but seller cant tell me what board is inside ^^.

I love the design of the RG-M1. Pretty sure you dont want to sell it?

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
So what i see and read so far a japanese VA3 can be a unit with the (R) in the Sega Logo.
I watch two HAA-2510 Models, but seller cant tell me what board is inside ^^.

Actually, I think you'd probably be better off getting a VA5, since you can tell just from looking at it that it's a VA5. According to that guide, the VA5 has the same sound hardware as the VA3. Apparently, the only difference in terms of quality is that the VA5 has slight rainbow banding on composite; but since you're using RGB, that shouldn't matter. For the way you're using it, they should be identical.

By the way, talking about this has inspired me to get a Mega Drive too. I should be getting mine in a couple of days.

I love the design of the RG-M1. Pretty sure you dont want to sell it?

Yeah, it's not for sale. Here's a picture of it, though:

KJLFkGX.jpg

I had to clean some of the dust off of it. You can still see some dust in the photo.

Sega also made their own version of the Wondermega. It was mostly the same, just with some minor cosmetic differences.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jackhead

Jackhead

Original poster
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Jackhead
AG Join Date
April 3, 2008
i ordered me a wondermega RG-M1, love that console, it remembers me on a synth of the 80/90.
Found one for a good price i think ^^.
I will try not to mod it. Maybe new belt and caps to keep it working, but first i try the S-Video output on a framemeister.
From what i see you can load a US MCD bios to use the CD drive with US region CDs.
But i use a MegaSD for CD games..

Make a donation