Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 3, 2019
AGName
Greg2600
AG Join Date
Jun 23, 2010
megasd_megacd_segacd_fpga_cartridge.jpg

The ultimate accessory for Genesis/Mega Drive. Complete FPGA recreation of the entire Mega-CD/Sega CD hardware into a plug and play Cartridge

World’s First Mega-CD/Sega CD FPGA Optical Disc Emulator

• Plays both ISOS (bin+cue) and ROMS
• RAM based cartridge for instant boot
• Compatible with all original and region free patched Mega-CD / Sega CD bios
• Supports Megadrive / Genesis, Sega CD / Mega-CD, Master System and 32X games (requires 32X add-on)

Fully Supports original Megadrive and Genesis hardware (Nomad included)

• Fully compatible with Analogue Mega Sg!
• Easy to use interface for navigating your collection with screenshots, genre, year and description
• Save State support for Megadrive and Genesis Cartridge games (8 slots)
• Built in cheat engine for Megadrive and Genesis cartridge games
• Emulates all different Genesis / Mega Drive / Master System / 32x cartridge mappers.
• Stores all different Genesis / Mega Drive / Master System / 32x cartridge saves into microsd card.
• Per game Mega-CD / Sega CD Backup RAM and Cartridge RAM stored into microsd card
• Master System FM Core
• In-Game menu for fast reboot and swapping games (Genesis / Megadrive and Mega-CD / Sega CD)

Enhanced Mega Drive games with CD audio and Mega-CD / Sega CD hardware (MSU1 like)

• 400GB Exfat microsd supported

NOTICE : This item starts shipping first week of August 2019 by strict purchase order, shipping times will depend on sales volumes

segamax

Registered
Jun 10, 2019
AGName
bomb78
AG Join Date
11 February 2009
Nice stuff but 232€ ????

keropi

May 31, 2019
AGName
keropi
AG Join Date
Feb 2, 2011
^ did you expect a full megacd fpga implementation to be free? :ROFLMAO:
I will get this but after a while, not gonna be a fool again like with the SSDS3 - will wait and see if a hardware revision is needed...

HI_RICKY

Donator
Donator
Registered
Mar 21, 2019
AGName
HI_Ricky
AG Join Date
Jun 7, 2007
any review ?
look cool stuff

keropi

May 31, 2019
AGName
keropi
AG Join Date
Feb 2, 2011
Its 232, but you dont need to buy a mega cd....

... or burn CDs
... or hope said CDs will work OK
... or pray the laser doesn't go belly up

it's a good device on paper for sure - what remains is to see how it holds up
for me it will be the perfect upgrade for my mega-pc , it needs something mega-expensive regular stuff don't cut it with it :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: rey_1178

Bad_Ad84

Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Bad_Ad84
AG Join Date
26/05/2011
Agreed, was just in response to the price. I think its pretty reasonable considering you dont need to buy a megacd to use it.

Obviously, thats assuming you dont already have one. In which case I kinda get it.

Reactions: rey_1178 and keropi

Plavix

Extreme Grindcore Gamer
Registered
Jun 5, 2019
AGName
Plavix
AG Join Date
May 17, 2012
^ did you expect a full megacd fpga implementation to be free? :ROFLMAO:
I will get this but after a while, not gonna be a fool again like with the SSDS3 - will wait and see if a hardware revision is needed...

Yep. I will wait as well. The first couple runs of SSDS3 were a shit show. Also this is overpriced. Shouldn’t be any higher then €150. I hate price gouging.

Greg2600

Original poster
Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 3, 2019
AGName
Greg2600
AG Join Date
Jun 23, 2010
It's about $100 USD more than the Mega Everdrive X7 is right now, and basically does all that device does plus CD. Same price as the PCE-CD SSD3.

Reactions: keropi

Mystical

Jun 3, 2019
AGName
Mystical
AG Join Date
03/05/2011
Personally I have no problem with the price, it costs a fortune to develop this stuff so you cant expect them to not take that into account when pricing, its not just the cost of the materials + packaging, its peoples time for R&D and people wont do this for free, they are a business and have to function as one or they will disappear and we get no more cool devices.

SSD3 did have some issues (mostly due to providing the Video out function which was just meant to be a bonus) but last time i checked the EverDrives also come in multiple revisions due to missing functions etc. so no company is perfect

Reactions: rey_1178 and keropi

dj898

Jun 1, 2019
what.is.it.
AGName
dj898
AG Join Date
my dilemma would be whether to sell my Wondermega and RGB Scart LCD TV in order to get this one plus Mega SG to play on the 4k TV :p

• Haha
Reactions: Traace

Greg2600

Original poster
Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 3, 2019
AGName
Greg2600
AG Join Date
Jun 23, 2010
Personally I have no problem with the price, it costs a fortune to develop this stuff so you cant expect them to not take that into account when pricing, its not just the cost of the materials + packaging, its peoples time for R&D and people wont do this for free, they are a business and have to function as one or they will disappear and we get no more cool devices.

SSD3 did have some issues (mostly due to providing the Video out function which was just meant to be a bonus) but last time i checked the EverDrives also come in multiple revisions due to missing functions etc. so no company is perfect

Krikzz is upgrading chipsets due to the older ones no longer being made and the cost going up on them. Newer is technically cheaper. New features come along, but this team spent 2.5 years developing this device and it's right on the market. Which is what you want to see. No kickstarters, or 4 years worth of blog posts. My primary peeve with their products (NeoSD, SSD3, Mega SD) is the menu. The font is terrible, and I wish they'd do something about it.

Reactions: keropi and Plavix

Plavix

Extreme Grindcore Gamer
Registered
Jun 5, 2019
AGName
Plavix
AG Join Date
May 17, 2012

Lucky you, but not everyone can afford that price. Also we have no idea if the device works as well as the X7. We need to hear reviews first before making judgement

Krikzz is upgrading chipsets due to the older ones no longer being made and the cost going up on them. Newer is technically cheaper. New features come along, but this team spent 2.5 years developing this device and it's right on the market. Which is what you want to see. No kickstarters, or 4 years worth of blog posts. My primary peeve with their products (NeoSD, SSD3, Mega SD) is the menu. The font is terrible, and I wish they'd do something about it.

He's only upgraded the SD2SNES to the pro version. He has no plans to upgrade mega everdrive X series.

Trimesh

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Trimesh
AG Join Date
Jul 4, 2008

I think if you are selling a product at a 300-400% gross margin (based on my estimate of the BOM) then you should at least have good customer service. The shitty dismissive attitude they had when it was pointed out they were shipping defective product was enough in itself to convince me never to buy anything from them.

Greg2600

Original poster
Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 3, 2019
AGName
Greg2600
AG Join Date
Jun 23, 2010
He's only upgraded the SD2SNES to the pro version. He has no plans to upgrade mega everdrive X series.

He just announced the N8 upgrade.

I think if you are selling a product at a 300-400% gross margin (based on my estimate of the BOM) then you should at least have good customer service. The shitty dismissive attitude they had when it was pointed out they were shipping defective product was enough in itself to convince me never to buy anything from them.

I can't defend them, but they're the only game in town on this....

Reactions: keropi

keropi

May 31, 2019
AGName
keropi
AG Join Date
Feb 2, 2011
their support is shitty but their prices for what they sell are OK.
You get complete packages and you get unique devices that required some serious development times.
The only thing you can criticize them is their support and handling the SSDS3 fiasco, their prices and markups are on par with other commercial devs so it's nothing new. These projects are rarely available freely due to the ungodly development time.
jm2c

Reactions: rey_1178

Plavix

Extreme Grindcore Gamer
Registered
Jun 5, 2019
AGName
Plavix
AG Join Date
May 17, 2012
He just announced the N8 upgrade.

I talked to him a few months back and he only told me mega everdrive x series wasn't upgrading. That could change with Mega SD releasing?

Awesome news on N8 update.

Chaotic Mind

AG Refugee Retro Brony
Registered
Jun 1, 2019
AGName
sonicdude10
AG Join Date
Jan 17, 2012
I caught the news as soon as it showed up on the Terra Onion site. For once the feed on Android Chrome gave me something I had been asking about for years. "Anyone willing to work on an ODE for Sega Genesis/ Megadrive? Look at Dreamcast ODE progress. We have a few methods working."
Unfortunately at the time I was told no over on AG. I gave up on trying to be the voice for the idea.

Now this. My prayers have been answered. Once the Mega SG from Analogue can figure out how to get 32X working this will be the perfect device for it. Sure we will have jailbreaks for that to enable ROM loading but until they get a CD emulated inside I'll take this in it's place. (Solely for 720P HDMI on Genny...)

EDIT: I just looked in storage. Completely forgot I have their NeoSD MVS cart. Bought that thing like 3 years ago at launch. Used it a few times before my MVS stuff went in storage. It worked for me so I expect this to work well.

Last edited:

Trimesh

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Trimesh
AG Join Date
Jul 4, 2008

Yeah, I guess I might look at it differently if I didn't already have a PC Engine Duo and a Sega CD, but since I do, I can give this company a hard pass just based on the way they treated their customers.

8bitplus

Registered
Jun 6, 2019
AGName
8bitplus
AG Join Date
Sonic CD on the Nomad! you know you want that!

I wonder if this could be installed in a MegaCD shell and connected to the expansion socket? (with an adapter)

Make a donation