Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

Speed Freaks 2 (Unreleased Sequel to Speed Freaks)

MisterEnthusiastOG

Original poster
Jun 5, 2019
speed-freaks.fandom.com
AGName
MisterEnthusiast
AG Join Date
March 16th, 2011
A bit over two years ago in December, I looked around on the online portfolio of game developer Phil Plunkett, who was a member of the SD Team, the dudes who developed FunCom Dublin's PS1 kart racing game, Speed Freaks (Speed Punks if you live in North America like I do), when I found image on a section of the portfolio concerning Speed Freaks.

sfreaks2-snow_level.jpg

That's right, there was going to be a sequel to Speed Freaks, but it got canceled because of FunCom Dublin having shut down back in 2001. I left a comment on the image, and Mr. Plunkett replied, saying this:

Hi [REAL NAME WITHHELD],

After finishing Speed Freaks we had a lot of ideas for Speed Freaks 2 so we worked on that and some levels for it, we had some nice snowy levels and some pretty cool theme park levels that really pushed the playstation :) game was looking pretty cool, unfortunately it was at a time when Sony were transitioning to PS2 and Funcom was focusing more on online multiplayer PC so it never happened. I think i still have a VHS somewhere of the game, but thats all really, after that we did spend some time putting together a demo of another racing game called JMX sprint planned for XBox but that didnt happen also.

phil

I asked him about the tape, and so far, he has not yet responded. I guess he's too busy with other things at this time to even respond or find time to find the VHS tape that he's mentioned.

Cerv3ro

Registered
Jun 7, 2019
AGName
Cerv3ro
AG Join Date
January 09 2016
Really?! I love this game, so many memories trying to beat the last character (that dog/bear robot).
Thanks for share this, really interesting how they planned to 'push' the Playstation beyond what they did in the first game which was very good indeed.
So, this loading screen is all what remains from the secuel? What a shame.

MisterEnthusiastOG

Original poster
Jun 5, 2019
speed-freaks.fandom.com
AGName
MisterEnthusiast
AG Join Date
March 16th, 2011
Phil Plunkett mentioned that he had a VHS tape with gameplay footage of the unreleased sequel somewhere. He might be too busy with other things to go looking for it.

Reactions: Cerv3ro

Make a donation