Original poster
Registered
Jun 19, 2020
AGName
Alevat
AG Join Date
19-06-2020
Hello!

Does any of the fans of "Legacy of Kain" still remember the canceled version of "Soul Reaver 2 Dreamcast"?

Even though it's just a different version of the console, let's face it, everyone would like to see it from the fans :D

For this day, still for now doesn't know who would be have this prototype.

We can even say that many great titles have been canceled on dreamcast :/
SR2-early-light5.pngSR2-early-light1.pngSR2-early-air4.pngSR2-early-air8.jpgSr2.pngSr1.png

Xaeroxcore

Registered
Aug 22, 2019
AGName
xaeroxcore
AG Join Date
Oct 17, 2012
Where did you find the first two images? I really dream of playing this on my DC!

Wombat

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Wombat
AG Join Date
14-03-2004
It's a shame this game got canceled back in the day, hopefully a playable build of Soul Reaver 2 will find its way out someday.

Alevat

Original poster
Registered
Jun 19, 2020
AGName
Alevat
AG Join Date
19-06-2020
Where did you find the first two images? I really dream of playing this on my DC!
I was found on press kit and that's was more, some photos wasn't even published on internet so it was so much rare photos, so I do upload to Raina Audron.

@Wombat well we all hope

Reactions: Xaeroxcore

Blai

Registered
Oct 2, 2020
AGName
Blai
AG Join Date
I was found on press kit and that's was more, some photos wasn't even published on internet so it was so much rare photos, so I do upload to Raina Audron.

@Wombat well we all hope

Could you please upload all the photos here?

Thanks!

Alevat

Original poster
Registered
Jun 19, 2020
AGName
Alevat
AG Join Date
19-06-2020

Xaeroxcore

Registered
Aug 22, 2019
AGName
xaeroxcore
AG Join Date
Oct 17, 2012

@Wombat well we all hope
By your pictures, you can tell stages look poly and texture wise alsmot equal to PS2....Raziel model seems to be the same for DC SR1 though (which is higher poly than original PS1/PC SR1 model, but lower than SR2 model).....But i have seen on the drive liunk that you have posted that High poly raziel from PS2 is there....so...that 3k poly model was on canceled DC version too? can i post this images on my facebook page? www.facebook.com/gamerscorecol

Last edited:
Reactions: Alevat

Xaeroxcore

Registered
Aug 22, 2019
AGName
xaeroxcore
AG Join Date
Oct 17, 2012

accel99

Registered
Jun 3, 2019
AGName
Accel99
AG Join Date
March 28 2008
The actual company handling the dreamcast port posted a s.creen shot of the dreamcast version with the updated 3,000 polygon raziel model in a pic called dcshot.jpg on their now removed resume. They compliment that dreamcast pushed hard enough can keep up .

dcshot.jpg

Link to resume: http://web.archive.org/web/20100127053402/http://www.nixxes.com/website/frameset_projects.html

This is what they ssaid
Projects / Soulreaver 2 for Sega Dreamcast
After the success of the original Soul Reaver on the Dreamcast we were asked to continue working with the team to make the best out of the Dreamcast version of the sequel as well. Unfortunately this version was never actually finished to be released to the public.

After a great start, being the only version to demo Soul Reaver 2 at E3 2000, and after that continously being optimised and tuned to keep up with the original on the more powerful PS2 platform, the game unfortunately was canceled by Eidos after Sega's decision to drop support for their Dreamcast platform.

Despite much disappointment among fans of both the series and the Dreamcast this decision unfortunately was final. We had a great time working on this project, and it was a shame it had to end this way.

Xaeroxcore

Registered
Aug 22, 2019
AGName
xaeroxcore
AG Join Date
Oct 17, 2012
The actual company handling the dreamcast port posted a s.creen shot of the dreamcast version with the updated 3,000 polygon raziel model in a pic called dcshot.jpg on their now removed resume. They compliment that dreamcast pushed hard enough can keep up .

dcshot.jpg

Link to resume: http://web.archive.org/web/20100127053402/http://www.nixxes.com/website/frameset_projects.html

This is what they ssaid
After the success of the original Soul Reaver on the Dreamcast we were asked to continue working with the team to make the best out of the Dreamcast version of the sequel as well. Unfortunately this version was never actually finished to be released to the public.

After a great start, being the only version to demo Soul Reaver 2 at E3 2000, and after that continously being optimised and tuned to keep up with the original on the more powerful PS2 platform, the game unfortunately was canceled by Eidos after Sega's decision to drop support for their Dreamcast platform.

Despite much disappointment among fans of both the series and the Dreamcast this decision unfortunately was final. We had a great time working on this project, and it was a shame it had to end this way.
Awesome info!!!! Did not know it was nixxes the people behind the cancelled DC version....is that beta still on their hand? or may be is on hands of some obscure collector....DC community need to play this on their actual Dreamcast! If we are playing Atomiswave ports, this also can happen!!! why dont we try to find out where is this beta?

Alevat

Original poster
Registered
Jun 19, 2020
AGName
Alevat
AG Join Date
19-06-2020
By your pictures, you can tell stages look poly and texture wise alsmot equal to PS2....Raziel model seems to be the same for DC SR1 though (which is higher poly than original PS1/PC SR1 model, but lower than SR2 model).....But i have seen on the drive liunk that you have posted that High poly raziel from PS2 is there....so...that 3k poly model was on canceled DC version too? can i post this images on my facebook page? www.facebook.com/gamerscorecol
No problem!

Go ahead and publish!
I would be honored!

This is the best year for the Legacy of Kain series in terms of alpha sr prototypes as well as new gameplay footage sr2 dreamcast.

However, I still think there MAY be more that we don't know about, and certainly in the "Eidos Press Kit".

Thank you for the link @Alevat
No problem! :)

dcshot.jpg

This is what they ssaid

Oh! That's interesting!
Awesome info!!!! Did not know it was nixxes the people behind the cancelled DC version....is that beta still on their hand? or may be is on hands of some obscure collector....DC community need to play this on their actual Dreamcast! If we are playing Atomiswave ports, this also can happen!!! why dont we try to find out where is this beta?
That's why we still looking for prototypes, that's why I posted not only here about wanted to buy prototypes.
We want to show so much more that fans couldn't not to see.
But we can't do this alone...Need more help if we want to see this again

I have a youtube channel, where there are also materials from "Legacy of Kain", I even created my own series "All Trailer" where you can watch EVERYTHING that has been released on my channel. Like, for example -
However, I want to remove this video - because my friend and I found two more materials showing gameplay sr2 dreamcast which are completely different.
And also remove soul reaver 1 - all trailer because found e3 1998 gameplay footage video

Alevat

Original poster
Registered
Jun 19, 2020
AGName
Alevat
AG Join Date
19-06-2020
And to be honest, I think 100% that there are more different prototypes made of the sr2 dreamcast, this proves that in the sr2 dreamcast trailer (which can be seen in the ps2 demo), Raziel's life bar is more in the color we have sr2 ps2 / pc, where the e3 gameplay shown or photos like where I show here is green - standard from the soul reaver 1. And for me it is a greater belief that there are more of these prototypes.

I wish that we will find or get one prototypes dc sr2 from collectors etc. That's why we still searching prototypes like this

Tachikoma

Registered
Sep 28, 2020
AGName
Tachikoma
AG Join Date
Some time in March 2004...? hard to remember exactly when, but the forum backup has posts going back to then so let's go with that!
Man it's heartbreaking seeing how far along in development it was, one of my favourite series from back in the day.

Xaeroxcore

Registered
Aug 22, 2019
AGName
xaeroxcore
AG Join Date
Oct 17, 2012
And to be honest, I think 100% that there are more different prototypes made of the sr2 dreamcast, this proves that in the sr2 dreamcast trailer (which can be seen in the ps2 demo), Raziel's life bar is more in the color we have sr2 ps2 / pc, where the e3 gameplay shown or photos like where I show here is green - standard from the soul reaver 1. And for me it is a greater belief that there are more of these prototypes.

I wish that we will find or get one prototypes dc sr2 from collectors etc. That's why we still searching prototypes like this
We need to find the unreleased beta...hopefully the most advanced one...may be social media can help https://twitter.com/NixxesSoftware

Alevat

Original poster
Registered
Jun 19, 2020
AGName
Alevat
AG Join Date
19-06-2020
We need to find the unreleased beta...hopefully the most advanced one...may be social media can help https://twitter.com/NixxesSoftware
Thanks, but to be honest there is also a slim chance they still have it, but it won't hurt.

However, if you know collectors etc. who own or know someone who has - you can always write to me, I will be 100% interested in it;)

About "All Trailer sr2" I think I will remade this this week

accel99

Registered
Jun 3, 2019
AGName
Accel99
AG Join Date
March 28 2008
Well technically you can play something that would be close to the dreamcast version. Someone on another forum made this comparison but the PlayStation underground jampack 2001 summer demo contains early version of soul reaver 2 called the air forge demo. The comparison showed that the stage models look identical to dreamcast version but the lighting was changed to match the final version. So its a hybrid of dc version model and ps2 lighting. The final ps2 version has more things added to the stage and the moon is missing. So play that if you wanna at least get a sneak peek.

Dreamcast version:
Soul_Reaver_2_Dreamcast-DC-Air-03.JPG

Ps2 air forge demo:
latest

Ps2 final :
Demo-Air_Forge-Air_Forge-Retail-01.JPG

Xaeroxcore

Registered
Aug 22, 2019
AGName
xaeroxcore
AG Join Date
Oct 17, 2012
Well technically you can play something that would be close to the dreamcast version. Someone on another forum made this comparison but the PlayStation underground jampack 2001 summer demo contains early version of soul reaver 2 called the air forge demo. The comparison showed that the stage models look identical to dreamcast version but the lighting was changed to match the final version. So its a hybrid of dc version model and ps2 lighting. The final ps2 version has more things added to the stage and the moon is missing. So play that if you wanna at least get a sneak peek.

Dreamcast version:
Soul_Reaver_2_Dreamcast-DC-Air-03.JPG

Ps2 air forge demo:
latest

Ps2 final :
Demo-Air_Forge-Air_Forge-Retail-01.JPG
Where can it be downloaded?

Make a donation