Here are some links you may find helpful

PS2 Sony PSX DESR-5100 not powering on after installing a different HDD

border collie21

Original poster
May 4, 2020
AGName
border collie21
AG Join Date
Around June, I tried to replace the HDD in my PSX (the actual PSX, not the PS1) and after connecting a larger IDE HDD it would no longer power on. I checked everything that looked like a fuse and nothing seemed to be visibly wrong.

I just dug it out again and started messing with it, and it's still giving the same symptoms, that is to say nothing.

Was wondering if anyone had any experience or knowledge on repairing an issue like this? Or if I'm just out a PSX.

Troubleshooting so far:
Tried reconnecting original HDD
Checked various components on the board, especially all that looked like fuses, and all have continuity.
Checked various voltages on the motherboard, and the PSU is delivering 12 volts even when the motherboard is connected.

Symptoms:
Red standby LED and fan never power on after plugging into the wall.
All buttons unresponsive.
Nothing on the board seems to get warm?

Mathieulh

Problem Solver
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Mathieulh
AG Join Date
01/01/2006
Around June, I tried to replace the HDD in my PSX (the actual PSX, not the PS1) and after connecting a larger IDE HDD it would no longer power on. I checked everything that looked like a fuse and nothing seemed to be visibly wrong.

I just dug it out again and started messing with it, and it's still giving the same symptoms, that is to say nothing.

Was wondering if anyone had any experience or knowledge on repairing an issue like this? Or if I'm just out a PSX.

Troubleshooting so far:
Tried reconnecting original HDD
Checked various components on the board, especially all that looked like fuses, and all have continuity.
Checked various voltages on the motherboard, and the PSU is delivering 12 volts even when the motherboard is connected.

Symptoms:
Red standby LED and fan never power on after plugging into the wall.
All buttons unresponsive.
Nothing on the board seems to get warm?
You blue the PS1 fuse, presumably, this happens if you have a short on the power/eject ribbon cable, if that's not it then your ribbon cable is faulty or not connected properly.

darkgunsou86

Registered
Jul 1, 2019
AGName
darkgunsou86
is there anyway to replace the hdd with another one if it fails?
so far it seems the original hdd have its own custom firmware.
if it is not possible to replace it, it is possible to bypass it with a modchip or fmcb? i am just looking to play ps2 games.
the psx can load games from usb sticks but can the network port be used for that as well?

MonkeyBoyJoey

Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
MonkeyBoyJoey
AG Join Date
March 1, 2015
is there anyway to replace the hdd with another one if it fails?
so far it seems the original hdd have its own custom firmware.
if it is not possible to replace it, it is possible to bypass it with a modchip or fmcb? i am just looking to play ps2 games.
the psx can load games from usb sticks but can the network port be used for that as well?
Sorry for bumping this thread but I can answer these questions for you if you haven't found them already.

It is possible to replace the HDD but only a genuine Sony PS2 HDD (SCPH-2040X) and one from another PSX can be used. Using a PS2 one will break DVR functions. Someone on PSX Place has managed to get that working but they haven't released details yet. You'll also be stuck with only 40GB of storage.

FMCB and a modchip will not bypass the firmware but FMCB will allow you to boot homebrew like OPL.

I use the network jack to load games on my DESR-7000. It's so much faster than USB. Just set up a shared folder on your PC and have OPL look for it. I think you need SMB enabled on your PC as well.

darkgunsou86

Registered
Jul 1, 2019
AGName
darkgunsou86
thanks. i am using FMCB to load the games off usb. using a lan cable to load games off a pc is too cumbersome.
3 of my 4 PSX still have working HDDs. i bought 2 midnight blue ps2 with the network adapter and HDD and 1 of them had a faulty HDD.
older HDDs are failing and no breakthroughs have been made to replace them with newer HDDs. really sad to have non working hardware.

Tokimemofan

Registered
May 30, 2019
You blue the PS1 fuse, presumably, this happens if you have a short on the power/eject ribbon cable, if that's not it then your ribbon cable is faulty or not connected properly.
I’m having the same issue however there doesn’t appear to be a “PS1” fuse anywhere on the board where is the fuse located
Edit: seems the correct fuse is F4001 located about near memory card slot 1

Last edited:

border collie21

Original poster
May 4, 2020
AGName
border collie21
AG Join Date
Wow, I entirely forgot about this thread.

Where is the PS1 fuse at? The only fuses I've found are labeled PS4XXX or PS7XX

border collie21

Original poster
May 4, 2020
AGName
border collie21
AG Join Date
NO WAY!!!

For anyone else with this issue! I replaced the "F4001" fuse on the corner of the board nearest the first memory card slot. My soldering is awful but from bridging that connection I got a flashing red and green light, presumably because I have the HDD/Disc access board disconnected. Here's a (terrible) video of the light after the fix

Attachments

• 0812210343~2.jpg
    0812210343~2.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0

Tokimemofan

Registered
May 30, 2019
NO WAY!!!

For anyone else with this issue! I replaced the "F4001" fuse on the corner of the board nearest the first memory card slot. My soldering is awful but from bridging that connection I got a flashing red and green light, presumably because I have the HDD/Disc access board disconnected. Here's a (terrible) video of the light after the fix
Not sure why you didn’t see my post about that. At least now we have a photo in this thread about it. It generally blows because of a ribbon cable issue to the front panel. The blinking light means critical hardware is missing, hdd or back panel usually

border collie21

Original poster
May 4, 2020
AGName
border collie21
AG Join Date
Not sure why you didn’t see my post about that. At least now we have a photo in this thread about it. It generally blows because of a ribbon cable issue to the front panel. The blinking light means critical hardware is missing, hdd or back panel usually
I haven't been on OG since the day I posted this thread lol.

And yeah the red/green was because I had the HDD access panel disconnected because the blue plastic backing came off the ribbon cable

DobaMuffin

Jul 20, 2021
Hate to bump such an old thread, but this is the best place for this. Does anyone know approximately what current rating f4001 has? It's obviously there for a reason, I just don't want to bridge over it.

edit: Just measured current that goes through the fuse, and it showed up as approximately 60mA, and has 12V going through it. So I reckon a 125mA fuse would be a suitable replacement.

Last edited:

Make a donation