Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

PS2 Sony PS2 DTL-T10000 Tool rescued and restored

uyjulian

Registered
May 30, 2019
You can also try the master patched disc on TEST console or retail console region changed to debug console using MechaPwn.

Gameboi64

Resident game "reviewer"
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Gameboi64
AG Join Date
Jan 30, 2015
I think the problem with that is that we don't have TEST units, unfortunately. But, you do have a fair point.

jdc98

Registered
Apr 2, 2019
www.facebook.com
AGName
jdc98
AG Join Date
September 24th 2006
Original drives probably only have sdk files on them unless your kit has the dvd emulation hardware installed, it's probably not worth fhemoneyto get recovered but maybe someone here is able to help out anyway.

As for drive images, don't bother getting new hard drives instead get cf to ide adapters and use those instead, they are light and won't fail on you. Drive images can be found in the other DTL thread

'PS2 DTL-T / TOOL thread' https://www.obscuregamers.com/threads/ps2-dtl-t-tool-thread.1172/post-23247

That post I linked to has my mega link with my hdd images, feel free to use them
Thank you so much for the link to the disc images. That’s going to be a great help I. The coming weeks! Quick question, what’s the difference between the Kit1 repository and the Kit2

I like the idea of using Compact Flasb drives, but last time I tried to do this, it was a real struggles to find CF cards that could be used as fixed media and not removable media - will this also be an issue for the TOOL!

My unit doesn’t have the DVD emulator kit installed, BUT I’m not the first person to open the machine. It’s evident from the copper tape, and lack of security sticker that someone has been in there before me, so it may have had one at some point in time. From memory, I think this was an Acclaim machine.

Thanks again for your help

jdc98

Registered
Apr 2, 2019
www.facebook.com
AGName
jdc98
AG Join Date
September 24th 2006
One thing's definitely for sure about these being temperamental. Got mine back in 2017 and have been using it ever since mostly for DVD-Rs and NTSC-J games I have and while I love it to death, it sure does feel like it's falling apart. I have to keep a disc in the tray at all times, including when I shut it off, just to prevent the tray from jamming. The laser I used to think was faulty as I'd burn off games and they'd just print the "illegal disc" error in dsedb, only to find out that DiscPatcher 3 is... well, not a very solid piece of software. I've also been able to load external ELFs (as I run from an ubuntu laptop, though fortunately the SDK tools work through new versions of linux), including one from an old AG user who helped me get IQ Remix+ running. Don't ask me why it was broken, but he knew how to get it working on the TOOL. I also had to overwrite the network screen files and working with all that FTP stuff was definitely a hassle, and I still have not yet backed up the HDD. The memory card slots don't flap like they used to and the disc tray eject button has worn off over the years (not to mention I should probably poach a laser one of these days and get that drive band replaced), but all this really does come with time taking its toll.

All this said, I still love my PS2 in an ATX cage and while I haven't been doing my best with taking good care of it (dusting, cleaning out, that sort of thing) I still feel like it's one of the best purchases I've made period.
Are the drive trays prone to jamming if there’s no disc inside? When trying my machine yesterday the drive wouldn’t open but I put that down to the fact that the machine wasn’t functioning properly due to the failed HDD’s. Could it be that I need to strip the optical drive to get that fixed too?

I agree with the machines feeling temperamental and fragile over time, not to mention all the sharp edges of plastic and copper when you come to take it apart!

hermesconrad

Donator
Staff member
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Jul 12, 2019
Donations
£14.47
AGName
hermesconrad
AG Join Date
11/july/2019
Thank you so much for the link to the disc images. That’s going to be a great help I. The coming weeks! Quick question, what’s the difference between the Kit1 repository and the Kit2

I like the idea of using Compact Flasb drives, but last time I tried to do this, it was a real struggles to find CF cards that could be used as fixed media and not removable media - will this also be an issue for the TOOL!

My unit doesn’t have the DVD emulator kit installed, BUT I’m not the first person to open the machine. It’s evident from the copper tape, and lack of security sticker that someone has been in there before me, so it may have had one at some point in time. From memory, I think this was an Acclaim machine.

Thanks again for your help
I owned 2 kits so I dumped them both, one of the kits might have had a newer sdk version I don't recall which though.

As for cf card, see attached image of the adapters I have, you can find them on ebay, I've yet to use mine but others have had success using it. Can't say for sure which cf cards will be compatible or if there are any compatibility issues.

Attachments

• 16283276778104403720925289754140.jpg
    16283276778104403720925289754140.jpg
    701.5 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: jdc98

jdc98

Registered
Apr 2, 2019
www.facebook.com
AGName
jdc98
AG Join Date
September 24th 2006
I have pre setup images i can share to you that has all network info setup and the admin password set to default. I also setup a user account on the tool so you can telnet into the tool. I can also give you a copy of my Ubuntu VMware vm that is preset with the files to run opl on the tool. Let me know if your interested.
Wow, thank you for the kind offer. At this time I’ll gladly accept any and all information that I may need when I come to do the refurb. Hermesconrad has already provided links to disc images which will no doubt do the job, but it’s always good to have other options available, just in case.

Thanks again for tour help.

hermesconrad

Donator
Staff member
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Jul 12, 2019
Donations
£14.47
AGName
hermesconrad
AG Join Date
11/july/2019
Are the drive trays prone to jamming if there’s no disc inside? When trying my machine yesterday the drive wouldn’t open but I put that down to the fact that the machine wasn’t functioning properly due to the failed HDD’s. Could it be that I need to strip the optical drive to get that fixed too?

I agree with the machines feeling temperamental and fragile over time, not to mention all the sharp edges of plastic and copper when you come to take it apart!
never had mechanical issues with any of mine though i do recall at times its not possible to open the drive, i think during boot was one of those times, mine are in storage atm,

Reactions: jdc98

jdc98

Registered
Apr 2, 2019
www.facebook.com
AGName
jdc98
AG Join Date
September 24th 2006
I owned 2 kits so I dumped them both, one of the kits might have had a newer sdk version I don't recall which though.

As for cf card, see attached image of the adapters I have, you can find them on ebay, I've yet to use mine but others have had success using it. Can't say for sure which cf cards will be compatible or if there are any compatibility issues.
That’s pretty much the same kit I have which I was going to install into a laptop refurb. The trouble I had was finding CF media that could be modified to operate as a HDD - I gave up looking in the end.

slycooper124

Registered
Jul 30, 2019
AGName
slycooper124
AG Join Date
June 2019
You need a sandisc extreme 120mb/s 32gb cf card. Thats what I'm using and it works great.

Gameboi64

Resident game "reviewer"
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Gameboi64
AG Join Date
Jan 30, 2015

Yeah, probably. I've been told that all I need to do is reseat the rubber band, but I did that and it really only made the problem worse.

And as far as the plastic goes, most the clips that kinda slide into place have since snapped off when I took it apart last time. That is partially due to how I'm not especially fragile when something refuses to move.

slycooper124

Registered
Jul 30, 2019
AGName
slycooper124
AG Join Date
June 2019
Yeah, probably. I've been told that all I need to do is reseat the rubber band, but I did that and it really only made the problem worse.

And as far as the plastic goes, most the clips that kinda slide into place have since snapped off when I took it apart last time. That is partially due to how I'm not especially fragile when something refuses to move.
on this system its expected that clips are going to break when servicing this system. its just the fact of old stuck plastic.

Gameboi64

Resident game "reviewer"
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Gameboi64
AG Join Date
Jan 30, 2015
That's very true.

Gameboi64

Resident game "reviewer"
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Gameboi64
AG Join Date
Jan 30, 2015
Same thing happens to me, so I know how that goes.

FriscoKid

Jul 31, 2021
I have pre setup images i can share to you that has all network info setup and the admin password set to default. I also setup a user account on the tool so you can telnet into the tool. I can also give you a copy of my Ubuntu VMware vm that is preset with the files to run opl on the tool. Let me know if your interested.
Hi - I have 2 PS2 TOOLS. One Boots with only a single drive and the other one appears to have 2nd drive in expansion slot on back but it only makes a beeping noise when started. I wonder if you know anything about beeping noise (maybe needs CMOS battery?) and if you have any experience pulling HD from back panel (without opening box). I tried to open the box but and removed stand and started to slide cover with TOOL written on it but it still has Sony seal. Not sure what to do to get it working. Wondering if it's possible to remove drive and if you know how to fix beeping noise, and safely remove cover. Any info would be much appreciated. I'd LOVE to get a copy of the images you posted if possible. Thanks so much!!

slycooper124

Registered
Jul 30, 2019
AGName
slycooper124
AG Join Date
June 2019
Hi - I have 2 PS2 TOOLS. One Boots with only a single drive and the other one appears to have 2nd drive in expansion slot on back but it only makes a beeping noise when started. I wonder if you know anything about beeping noise (maybe needs CMOS battery?) and if you have any experience pulling HD from back panel (without opening box). I tried to open the box but and removed stand and started to slide cover with TOOL written on it but it still has Sony seal. Not sure what to do to get it working. Wondering if it's possible to remove drive and if you know how to fix beeping noise, and safely remove cover. Any info would be much appreciated. I'd LOVE to get a copy of the images you posted if possible. Thanks so much!!
Hello, if your worried about the Sony sticker. There's no saving it if you need to get inside the tool. I don know of any beeping noises for the tool but if your able to boot the tool and view the post, it may tell you the error codes. As for images of the hdd. I have pre setup images where network info is set and default password for root account is set so if your interested in them I can send them to you. I also have a users guide that helped other tool users if your interested.

Gameboi64

Resident game "reviewer"
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Gameboi64
AG Join Date
Jan 30, 2015
How is your tool running, can you run a retail game on your tool?
I use my Ubuntu Linux laptop, I do ./dsedb -d (local ip address) or ./dsidb -d (local ip) and then once in dsedb/dsidb, I do reset 2 100 or reset 2 0. Itruns them just fine, I put the disc in the drive and it just goes 99% of the time.

slycooper124

Registered
Jul 30, 2019
AGName
slycooper124
AG Join Date
June 2019
I use my Ubuntu Linux laptop, I do ./dsedb -d (local ip address) or ./dsidb -d (local ip) and then once in dsedb/dsidb, I do reset 2 100 or reset 2 0. Itruns them just fine, I put the disc in the drive and it just goes 99% of the time.
Hmm, obviously I need to check online.

Make a donation