Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

Other Some new information about the Dreamcast zip drive, the mysterious cancelled accessory from Sega

Sega Dreamcast Info

Original poster
Registered
May 30, 2019
I was able to speak with someone who worked on the unreleased module project, the Zip Drive Dreamcast.

He tells us more about this mysterious accessory, including the reasons for its cancellation.

To read below :

ItsMeMario

Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AGName
ItsMeMario
AG Join Date
Feb 11, 2014
Whaaaaaattt ?! :'D

Lol, I love the zip drive and have various versions of it here....but this IS new !

And he got tons of zip disks at home ? z0mg put them on eBay I pay what you want !!!1 x'D

Reactions: Sega Dreamcast Info

Greg2600

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 3, 2019
AGName
Greg2600
AG Join Date
Jun 23, 2010
They intended to allow gamers to make homebrew on it? Wow, I'm sure that would have been a mess.

Reactions: Sega Dreamcast Info

Greg2600

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 3, 2019
AGName
Greg2600
AG Join Date
Jun 23, 2010
How so? Seems like a more convenient take on the PSX Net Yaroze approach.

Honestly, I think it would have simply been rife with emulation and rom piracy from 8 and 16 bit consoles, maybe PC stuff as well. I mean, how would they (SEGA) get dev tools out to the homebrew community? Cannot imagine that making any fungible sense. Now, if it would have simply meant enhancements like mods and content that PC games often featured back then, that's a different story. However, the end user could directly change PC code, whereas a DC game was on a disc that could not be altered. They would have had to build in the content enhancement capabilities, which nobody really ever allowed in the console community. Preferring to offer them as DLC.

Make a donation