logi26

Original poster
Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Logi26
AG Join Date
Jun 18, 2013
I am just looking for peoples opinions on the value of this board, since I have not seen any recent sales to compare with.

VLSULv6l.jpg

BigEvilCorporation

Registered
May 30, 2019
I saw one of these go on eBay last year, from memory it was around £400, but eBay UK doesn't archive like the US site does.

There's an unsold listing here, too: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220757150549?ViewItem=&item=220757150549#ht_1045wt_1138

Also worth mentioning that the software for this has now been found and released (previously was super rare), which may positively affect the price. I was finally able to use mine to build and test that Super Strike Trilogy a while back so I can confirm the dumped software is functional.

I get a few queries about my setup, and could probably track down potential buyers if you're interested in selling.

Reactions: bond.san and logi26

Jackhead

Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Jackhead
AG Join Date
April 3, 2008
£400 is a really good price depending on its useless without the MCD cross kit.

BigEvilCorporation

Registered
May 30, 2019

Yeah it requires the Cross Products kit to do anything useful. It's just a giant buffer card in between PC and devkit (and it doesn't even preserve memory without power, so no tasty unreleased morsels from defunct studios).

Jackhead

Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Jackhead
AG Join Date
April 3, 2008
i remember when i had that pcb with the kit, the tools are very limited. its like pure assembler code.
Still have the software for it. Still one of the first stuff cross made, 486er stuff

Last edited:

logi26

Original poster
Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Logi26
AG Join Date
Jun 18, 2013

I agree.
It is similar to the ODEM, MARLIN and WIF cards etc.

These are useless on their own and probably not worth very much to 99% of people.
But they tend to sell for a few hundred when they do come up for sale. Although far less people own MCD hardware, so the market is much smaller.

Jackhead

Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Jackhead
AG Join Date
April 3, 2008
for sure the stuff get really odd, but more odd are people can do something with it.
hardware get rare and even more people can handle it

Nemesis

Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Nemesis
AG Join Date
Mar 22, 2007
It's worth noting though that the card is harder to get than the actual MegaCD dev unit, as the card lived in a PC which would have often been binned without a second thought, while the dev unit itself is a more obvious item of interest. If someone was interested in getting a complete system, they're likely to jump on the individual card being sold, as it could be harder to get a complete system in one hit later. There might also be people who have the dev unit without the card, who'd probably pay above market rate for the card, as it increases the value/usefulness of the existing dev unit they have.

iriez

Registered
Jun 1, 2019
It's worth noting though that the card is harder to get than the actual MegaCD dev unit, as the card lived in a PC which would have often been binned without a second thought, while the dev unit itself is a more obvious item of interest. If someone was interested in getting a complete system, they're likely to jump on the individual card being sold, as it could be harder to get a complete system in one hit later. There might also be people who have the dev unit without the card, who'd probably pay above market rate for the card, as it increases the value/usefulness of the existing dev unit they have.

If you know anyone with a MCD dev unit, I would be very interested!

Also been trying to track down a SMS kiosk for a reasonable price.

Jackhead

Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Jackhead
AG Join Date
April 3, 2008
when the price tripple for sure.. 16Bit Dev hardware getting rare as hell, if you can get even third party and you like it, dont think buy it :)

Make a donation