Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

Sega Saturn Model 1 - clicking sound when playing game?

StriderSubzero

Original poster
Oct 13, 2020
Hi, I've been playing my Saturn more, and after a few hours in a session it started making a clicking sound. It doesn't seem to do this if I spin the disc with my finger, and it doesn't do it when playing FMVs or spinning up the disc, just during gameplay. It is reading fine and isn't skipping, crashing, etc. Any ideas?

AstroG

Dec 19, 2020
AGName
AstroG
AG Join Date
06/30/2014
I would definitely try cleaning and applying new grease to the laser assembly. Don't use anything petroleum-based like white lithium grease. Use a silicone-based grease instead. Preferably one with PTFE. Petroleum-based greases can potentially degrade the plastic gear parts.

segasonicfan

Registered
Jun 8, 2019
AGName
segasonicfan
AG Join Date
Sept 23, 2011
I find lithium grease words well. But also, try and see if the clicking occurs when it's accessing the disc. Data is usually accessed during FMV sequences or when loading a level.

Obviously if the clicking happens all the time, your issue is going to be the spindle not the gears. Though rare, I have seen the center CD spindle clip pushed in too far on the rod before, causing weird disc alignment issues.

Make a donation