Original poster
Donator
Community Contributor
May 30, 2019
Donations
£8.55
AGName
Arcadia

As a part of Sega's 60 years' anniversary, they'll release tiny Sega Game Gears. Four different versions that come in different colours, and have different games on them, four games on each. I've also seen a fifth one, in the rare clear black case that was originally released as a limited edition back in the 90's, but I haven't seen much information about that one, what games are on it etc. Most information seem to be in Japanese at the moment, we'll see if it'll be released outside Japan. I'm not terribly excited to be honest, but coud be cool if it's hackable and you can put in more games.

Arcadia

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Community Contributor
May 30, 2019
Donations
£8.55
AGName
Arcadia
Having had some time to think (and dream, pun intended) about this, I can't help but think of the VMU. Although the screen is actually smaller than the VMU, I would love for this to be used the same way. Not as a memory card of course, but used in tandem with an Xbox/PS4 gamepad, with some sort of harness. The Dreamcast games that have since been ported to X1/PS4 could get a patch that utilised it as a VMU, and newer games could find novel way to use it. Additional buttons for MMORPG's are always welcome of course.

speedyink

Registered
May 31, 2019
I'm gonna get one. I was gonna get one of those pocket sprites eventually but this seems like a cool alternative.

HI_RICKY

Donator
Donator
Registered
Mar 21, 2019
AGName
HI_Ricky
AG Join Date
Jun 7, 2007
nice GG , but get all colour not cheaper

Arcadia

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Community Contributor
May 30, 2019
Donations
£8.55
AGName
Arcadia
Will be interesting to see what the actual hardware is, to see if it can be hacked.

Ergot

Registered
Jun 1, 2019
AGName
Ergot_Cholera
AG Join Date
Aug 2, 2012
Can't see them releasing the coloured versions outside Japan. If it is released elsewhere then it might just be the grey version with more games included?

SnowCrane

Jun 3, 2020
Also curious as to what the hardware will be. Yellow is looking pretty enticing with the Shining Force games.

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
I think it's kind of cool, but it seems like it would've been better to make something like a mini Nomad instead, since most people would probably rather play Genesis/MD games than Game Gear games.

Tokimemofan

Registered
May 30, 2019
Can anyone come up with a list of even 10 Game Gear exclusives that are actually good?

PrOfUnD Darkness

Registered
Jul 10, 2019
AGName
PrOfUnD Darkness
AG Join Date
2004-03-13
Can anyone come up with a list of even 10 Game Gear exclusives that are actually good?

Some of these games are just remakes from the Mega Drive, but they are really good.

Ax Battler
Defenders of Oasis
Fatal Fury Special
GG Aleste
GG Aleste II
The GG Shinobi
The GG Shinobi II
Gunstar Heroes
Magic Knight Rayearth
Mega Man
Ninja Gaiden
Phantasy Star Gaiden
Ristar the Shooting Star
Samurai Shodown
All Shining Forces
All Sonics (maybe not the drift series, and Labyrinth).
Tails Adventures

HI_RICKY

Donator
Donator
Registered
Mar 21, 2019
AGName
HI_Ricky
AG Join Date
Jun 7, 2007
I am waiting white color with carry case :)

speedyink

Registered
May 31, 2019
I said fuck it and pre-ordered the blue one from Amazon Japan. If they do localize it I'll get a black one as well.

Hoping people are able to mod this thing. Having a micro game gear with tons of games for various systems would be so rad. Even if not, it looks like decent quality and won't take up much space in the collection

Tokimemofan

Registered
May 30, 2019
Some of these games are just remakes from the Mega Drive, but they are really good.

Ax Battler
Defenders of Oasis
Fatal Fury Special
GG Aleste
GG Aleste II
The GG Shinobi
The GG Shinobi II
Gunstar Heroes
Magic Knight Rayearth
Mega Man
Ninja Gaiden
Phantasy Star Gaiden
Ristar the Shooting Star
Samurai Shodown
All Shining Forces
All Sonics (maybe not the drift series, and Labyrinth).
Tails Adventures
Problem is that so many of them are Master System ports or Mega Drive/Genesis downgrades.
A Mark 3 mini would have been a better idea or having more games in each one. Just looks like a cash grab to me

Yakumo

Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Yakumo
AG Join Date
From the beginning (whenever that was)
Sega's new Game Gear Micro is here. Full unboxing and teardown.

Reactions: tmk and Anthony817

Goemon

Registered
Feb 15, 2020
AGName
Goemon
AG Join Date
I wonder what the screen resolution is.

Anthony817

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
Very cool overview Yakumo! Unfortunately then never added even a $2 rechargeable internal LIPO battery... They honestly couldn't be bothered? Damn. Oh well, at least there is a USB port on it, so there may exist some way to run other games from it with some custom firmware or something like a boot loader? Oh well, maybe they will get modded. I owned the Blue Game Gear as a kid like you showed in the video, so it looked pretty awesome to me. Would love to get one someday if they could be modded.

Tachikoma

Registered
Sep 28, 2020
AGName
Tachikoma
AG Join Date
Some time in March 2004...? hard to remember exactly when, but the forum backup has posts going back to then so let's go with that!
Sega's new Game Gear Micro is here. Full unboxing and teardown.

Nice!

It's not too different to the other mini consoles and there's an easy to find recovery mode. I wasn't that enamoured with the size of it, but you have changed my mind, it's not that different to the GBA Micro which I still use heavily.

Mark, are you still in Shimonoseki?

speedyink

Registered
May 31, 2019
I got a blue one supposed to show up today. The tiny size is the whole novelty, I like the idea.

Edit: Ok this thing is damn cute. Buttons a tad stiff but maybe they'll break in eventually. Otherwise I'm enjoying it

Last edited:

Flash

Jun 2, 2019
AGName
Flash
AG Join Date
Oct 19, 2011
Got one for my birthday. Looks so funny in my hands. The whole thing reminds me when my friend made a miniature working reel-to-reel recorder smaller than actual cassette using walkman parts and TEAC O'Casse cassette reels. Everything was working - tiny buttons, tiny knobs, 3x3mm analog VU meters. And it sounded great for what it was. Game Gear Micro leaves the same feeling. Fully working funny tiny novelty thing. Price is though... It's waay too much for something that was made using parts that cost about 7-9 bucks.

Tachikoma

Registered
Sep 28, 2020
AGName
Tachikoma
AG Join Date
Some time in March 2004...? hard to remember exactly when, but the forum backup has posts going back to then so let's go with that!
Price is though... It's waay too much for something that was made using parts that cost about 7-9 bucks.

I dislike how "nostalgia" has become such a viable business model to gouge customers. If the hinted at Dreamcast mini comes out, I dread to think what that would cost just from a hardware perspective, let alone the nostalgia tax on top.

Make a donation