Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

Replacement virtual boy voltage regulators

Taucias

Original poster
Jun 2, 2019
A few years ago I made a school boy error and connected a UK NES power supply to my virtual boy after reading online it would be compatible and whilst it worked for a few minutes, the UK adaptor apparently is an AC input not DC like the US and it "fried" the system. No sound or video and the oscillators don't appear to get power. I believe I blew the voltage regulators.

I bought a loose head unit from Japan that worked, so the broken unit has sat in a cupboard ever since, but I would like to fix it. I know I could just bypass the voltage regulator, especially if I just use batteries on it, but has anyone ever been able to find a suitable replacement online?

Bad_Ad84

Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Bad_Ad84
AG Join Date
26/05/2011
Got any pics of the board? I am sure it would be possible to find a direct replacement or something that would work.

speedyink

Registered
May 31, 2019
The US NES adapter wouldn't have worked either, just a SNES or Super Famicom adapter (depending if you have the US or JPN Adapter Tap).

But yeah, board pics would help

Bad_Ad84

Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Bad_Ad84
AG Join Date
26/05/2011
Could do with better angle and a pinout.

The Real Phoenix

Jun 6, 2019
www.youtube.com
AGName
TheRealPhoenix
AG Join Date
Apr 24, 2014
Could do with better angle and a pinout.
Sorry, but unfortunately this is the only good picture I found online (I'm at work currently).

Here's the pinout of the U8 (DC-DC-VUE):

1-Vin
2-GND
3-PowerGood
4-no pin
5-Vout
6-GND

The pin 3 seems to be the trickiest part since it's needed to boot the console and has some kind of werid behaviour (low at start, then high after some delay)

(funfact: this came from a thread on PlanetVB where speedylink posted ^^ )

speedyink

Registered
May 31, 2019
I'm eeeverywheeere, lol.

It would be helpful to see pics of yours specifically.
As for getting parts, you can make a WTB post on PlanetVB.com for a regulator or maybe even a full mainboard/parts VB. You never know what spares someone has there. Ebays spare parts listings seem to have gotten expensive/dried up.

Bad_Ad84

Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Bad_Ad84
AG Join Date
26/05/2011
You can delay pin3 going high with a cap. Larger the cap, longer the delay.

You could also probably just pull it high. That signal is just for the console to know the PSU is saying the power is stable/ready.

Whats the input and output voltages?

Make a donation