Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

PSP Testing Kit Service Mode and CFW Dual Booting Guide

scalr

Original poster
Registered
Mar 24, 2022
Hello friends.

Just like how retail PSPs have the ability to boot into service mode using methods such as the classic Pandora's battery, it's a lesser-known fact that the PSP Testing Tool (DTP-H1500) towers can also be put into service mode to downgrade, recover, or flash your firmware of choice using Time Machine/Despertar del Cementerio. Obviously the towers use an AC adapter and do not have a battery, so how can one boot into service mode?

There is an existing post here on OG about how to do this, but it's very hard to follow and there are no pictures (which many people prefer):

This post aims to improve upon what's described there and make it easier to understand the process from start to finish. At the end, you will be able to dual boot both testing kit firmware, and 6.61 custom firmware.

PREREQUISITES:
  1. Retail PSP with CFW
  2. Memory Stick Pro Duo with at least 128 MB free (microSD card adapters also work, but your experience may vary)
  3. PSP 6.61 ME-2.3 Time Machine Updated By Rahim-US Software
  4. Official 6.61 Update EBOOT.PBP
  5. PSP Testing Tool (DTP-H1500) with power supply and controller
  6. Basic Phillips-head screwdriver
  7. Plastic pointing tool for flipping dip switches
  8. Flashlight (optional)

Although the Time Machine Addon software and a retail PSP with CFW are not explicitly necessary, they make the process significantly easier for the average Joe to understand and complete this process as it's more visual.

I. PREPARING THE MEMORY STICK

1. Copy the inner TIMEMACHINE_ADDON folder from the .zip file from #3 above to ms0:/PSP/GAME/
2. Copy the official 6.61 update EBOOT.PBP to the root of your memory stick and rename it as 661.PBP
3. Insert the memory stick into your retail PSP with CFW, and launch the Time Machine Addon software.

tm-addon.jpg

4. Select "Install 6.61 ME (01g + 02g model)" to install the files necessary to use Time Machine with 6.61 to your memory stick

tm-installer.jpg

5. After the 6.61 ME installer completes, choose "Install iplloader on MS boot sector". This is necessary to launch the unbricker software in service mode.
6. After the iplloader installation has completed, exit the Time Machine Addon software back to the PSP home screen.
7. Congratulations! The magic memory stick creation is now complete. You may now exit the PSP Tool software, and shut off the CFW PSP.
8. Insert the magic memory stick into the DTP-H1500.

II. PUTTING YOUR TESTING KIT INTO SERVICE MODE

In order to emulate the service mode battery with the testing kit, there is a set of dip switches on the main motherboard of the tower that needs to be adjusted with a specific configuration. We will need to open the DTP-H1500 tower slightly to get at the internals to do so.

0. Disconnect your DTP-H1500's power cable from the unit if not already.
1. Disassemble and remove the top cover of your PSP Tool. There are three screws on the back indicated with arrows that you need to remove before the top cover can be removed. (If your unit has the two wedge stands attached to the bottom, be sure to unscrew and remove those as well). Do note that the cover can get hinged on the internals, so take care removing the cover.
2. Once the top cover is removed, locate the dip switches on the right side of the motherboard as shown:

dipsw-location.jpg

The switches are ordered from left to right: 4-3-2-1. By default all the switches are upright in the "off" position.

dipsw-layout.jpg

3. Using your plastic pointing tool push dip switch 4 to the downward position. (Remember that switch 4 is the leftmost one)
4. At this point, connect your DTP-H1500's power cable to the unit. You don't need to reassemble the tower just yet.
5. Reconnect the PSP controller to the tower, and hold the L trigger button.
6. Press the power button on the front of the DTP-H1500.
7. If the magic memory stick creation was successful, your unit should boot up into the 6.61 Unbricker menu:

tm-unbricker.jpg

8. You will have a multitude of options available, such as installing the official 6.61 FW, 6.61 ME FW, test the ME CFW, and so on. If you are interested in installing CFW on the DTP-H1500, you may select this option. Otherwise, if you want to leave your PSP Testing kit unmodified with the Testing firmware, you can use "Test ME".
9. (Optional) If you do not plan on dual booting on the DTP-H1500, you may flip dip switch #4 off once again--however, there is no harm in leaving it on. It may be useful to leave it on so that you do not need to open the tower again.
10. Once you are happy with the firmware you have installed on the testing kit, you may reassemble the tower.

III. CONCLUSION AND FINAL REMARKS

If you are looking for the ability to use earlier firmware than 6.61, using the magic memory stick creator from raing3's PSP Tool 1.0 software may be a good alternative to the Time Machine Addon software. The PSP Tool software only goes up to DC8, and the latest release of the software at the time of writing this guide is DC9 by balika011 on GitHub. Although it is possible to use DC9 with this method, how to do so is beyond the scope of this tutorial.

I hope you found this guide helpful. Let me know if you have any suggestions for further improvement, or have any follow-up questions or concerns. Thanks!

scalr

Original poster
Registered
Mar 24, 2022
now what about the DTP-T1000?

Unfortunately when I had tried setting dip switch #4 on the DTP-T1000, I couldn't get this to work: the network information boot screen would load instead of the unbricker menu. Setting the boot mode in the dev tool server settings to the PSP System Software mode did not make any difference.

I know that the dip switches still work in some capacity, because dip switch #2 will autoboot the dev tool like it does on the testing tool. However, I'm not aware if there's an alternative method to booting the IPL from the memory stick, or if the network config screen is the IPL that the PSP dev tool boots to. There are multiple sets of dip switches on the dev tool motherboard, but I couldn't find any information about what they do, so I'm not sure if anyone has done research into that area. Because of how much time it takes the development tool to boot up, and the number of switches there are on the board: (CP hard (4), CP soft (8), and the dip switches shown in this guide), there are too many combinations for me to try (2^12 = 4096 combinations).

If someone knows how to get the PSP to use the memory stick IPL via the dip switches on the dev tool, please let us know.

Make a donation