Ichisuke

Original poster
Registered
Jul 22, 2019
AGName
Ichisuke
AG Join Date
June 19, 2009
So I have 2 PSone (SCPH 102) sold as broken. They actually work fine or it seems so. Both are PM41. One made in China the other in Japan.

In one of the 2 consoles (the made in China) there was a modchip that I removed since the console wasn't able to boot anything, so I gave the fault to the modchip. But actually to make the console boot a game or even play an audio cd I had to increase the power potentiometer of the laser above the "normal" values. And still the console struggle while in game. While on the other PSone there is no need of doing that with the same drive and also another one perfectly working. What is the issue with this mobo? Some capacitors gone bad? It's like any drives that I put in are not receiving the right power/clean signal for the lasers in this motherboard.
Even after cleaning the board with IPA the issue remain. Also the remaining solder on the soldering points seems perfectly fine without any possible shorts or whatever. I'm pointing towards some fault on this chinese board but I don't know where to look at.

The other issue comes with the made in Japan console. There was a modchip in it that I removed. When the console boot the TV doesn't detect an RGB signal, this behaviour was prior to removing the modchip. I have to disconnect the AV cable from the console and reconnect it. Then the TV display the RGB video. Still getting a composite signal until I detach the cable or until I switch between RGB/composite on the selector. Every other PS1 consoles work fine with the same cable and TV. Is this an issue with one or more capacitors? And so which one?

Thanks to whoever can help me.

@Trimesh I summon you. Thanks!!

GiroNeko

Registered
Jul 3, 2021
Well, you are using the stock lenses for them right? If so, that's probably why, since they tend to get wear by the time. Maybe it's not motherboard related and it's just the lens giving up. Not saying that it can't be, since you said you swaped both lenses between them right? Have you tried to check the resistance of the lens using a multimeter? You could also check how much energy is getting to the lens, that would also help.

Ichisuke

Original poster
Registered
Jul 22, 2019
AGName
Ichisuke
AG Join Date
June 19, 2009
Well, you are using the stock lenses for them right? If so, that's probably why, since they tend to get wear by the time. Maybe it's not motherboard related and it's just the lens giving up. Not saying that it can't be, since you said you swaped both lenses between them right? Have you tried to check the resistance of the lens using a multimeter? You could also check how much energy is getting to the lens, that would also help.
The laser/reading issue was capacitor 705.

Reactions: GiroNeko

Make a donation