Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

PSBBN, FFXI and POL mirrors of KrHACKen releases?

Jolek

Registered
Jul 10, 2019
AGName
Jolek
AG Join Date
Jan 18, 2016
Last edited:

joshuawthomson

Registered
Aug 30, 2019
AGName
joshuawthomson1
AG Join Date
i have the img, if you haven't found it. i have a copy for you.

• Wow
Reactions: Jolek

Ioncannon

Registered
Jun 25, 2019
AGName
Ioncannon
AG Join Date
Oct 19, 2010
I'm the owner and lead dev of FFXIV Classic (a 1.0 emulator). Talked with a friend who was a big dev on DSP (FFXI emulator) and it sparked an interest in trying to get FFXI PS2 working again.

Haven't done much PS2 reverse engineering but was looking around the POL installer library to see if I can patch out DNAS and let the installer continue passed the verification.

Sadly the online signatures out there now are all for DNAS2. XI (at least the original installer on the first release of FFXI in US/Can) uses DNAS1 (functions are prefixed sceDNAS1____). Once my friend sends me the isos for the beta version I might make more progress as they had left the debug symbols in there.

Reactions: FlamboFlaco67

Dynarec

Registered
Mar 9, 2020
AGName
Dynarec
AG Join Date
3/8/2020
I've downloaded the PSBBN ENG 0.32 + HDDOSD image and flashed it to my HDD with HDDRawCopy 1.10 Portable, but when I try to boot to the BB Navigator my unit gets stuck at the Playstation 2 Logo screen. I am using a SCPH 50001 with an aftermarket network adapter so I can use my 1TB SATA drive.

Last edited:

HI_RICKY

Donator
Donator
Registered
Mar 21, 2019
AGName
HI_Ricky
AG Join Date
Jun 7, 2007
any change got BB NAV sdk ?

Dynarec

Registered
Mar 9, 2020
AGName
Dynarec
AG Join Date
3/8/2020
What is the BB NAV sdk? I do not have it.

Last edited:

FlamboFlaco67

Registered
Jul 27, 2019
AGName
Kango56
AG Join Date
7/27/2018
I'm the owner and lead dev of FFXIV Classic (a 1.0 emulator). Talked with a friend who was a big dev on DSP (FFXI emulator) and it sparked an interest in trying to get FFXI PS2 working again.

Haven't done much PS2 reverse engineering but was looking around the POL installer library to see if I can patch out DNAS and let the installer continue passed the verification.

Sadly the online signatures out there now are all for DNAS2. XI (at least the original installer on the first release of FFXI in US/Can) uses DNAS1 (functions are prefixed sceDNAS1____). Once my friend sends me the isos for the beta version I might make more progress as they had left the debug symbols in there.
i hope this comes back

Ioncannon

Registered
Jun 25, 2019
AGName
Ioncannon
AG Join Date
Oct 19, 2010
i hope this comes back

Sadly not much can be done at this point. There are two issues with the PS2 version:

1. DNAS would bind your HDD to your PS2. Because we don't know how that is done, the PS2 can't decrypt the installed copy of POL on a fresh HDD.

2. Turns out the patch files are also encrypted with a totally different method called a "DNAS Authored Binary" (iirc?). So hacking out the DNAS check on the early copies prob won't happen either.

Put that project on hold.

Last edited:
Reactions: FlamboFlaco67

l_oliveira

Registered
May 31, 2019
HDD DNAS for FFXI used a extra key which was retrieved from the DNAS server at run time. (At the time you clicked the "PLAY" button at the FFXI page inside PlayOnline viewer) and that is no longer obtainable. Lucky you I have several hot memory dumps from my PS2 running FFXI back in 2016 saved at my HDD...

l_oliveira

Registered
May 31, 2019
"DNAS Authored Binary" file is a HDD DNAS file which are not yet bound to a particular harddrive. It's the format files were sent back from SONY after signing.

Tetramaster, MahJong(Janhou) and FFXI files (.pex.enc) are encrypted with an extra DNAS key which was retrieved from the DNAS service right before launch, probably to make them ultra annoying to hack (protection against cheating)

Casuallynoted

Jan 23, 2022

I was able to patch out the DNAS on the installer and get it working in an emulated environment, but it seems it still doesn't recognise that a hard disk is inserted into a physical PS2 if you're using a non-official drive. I've been told over Github that it has to do with the ATAD.irx driver, which checks to see if it is a legit Sony drive. However, in looking into the ISO's files I don't really see the ADAT.irx driver anywhere. It's possible maybe it's using a different method to verify the drive's authenticity upon boot up.

Reactions: AKuHAK

l_oliveira

Registered
May 31, 2019
The original drive has extra commands which give access to a hidden sector with data which individualizes the drive. Unfortunately you can't just patch it out and have it work. You have to provide the necessary data somehow. Also, things were downloaded from the internet after the PS2 phoned home, then were put on the hard drive. Of particular importance were the "access flags" which were blobs of encrypted data put at the _net partition as some sort of activation key at the time of the first install.

Edit: What krHACKen do for it to work is provide a "replayed session" of an online auth from the time the server still worked. It can be done if you have access to an already installed copy of the game and reuse it's hdd key plus it's activation data. It means the file set will reuse the serial number of both the HDD and console it was originally harvested from. Fortunately (for us) HDD DNAS protections are vulnerable to attacks on the surface where it collects hardware information before decrypting stuff. LOL

Make a donation