Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

3DS PSA: Partner-CTR Capture/Debugger/Capture Debugger Won't Work with Dead or Missing Batteries (Can Also Kill Unit if They Leak)

MSX

Is secretly 32-bit
Original poster
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 7, 2019
Donations
£543.68
AGName
MSX
AG Join Date
Dec 7, 2011
I decided to take a chance on one of the seemingly dead Partner-CTR Debuggers on Yahoo Japan Auctions. While troubleshooting, I remembered in the manual it says that it has 2 AA batteries inside for "back up data" (and RTC function) and it won't power up if they are dead. Opened it up and unfortunately was met with a terrible fate.

PXL_20211126_232820119.jpg

So PSA for anyone who takes a chance buying a dead unit. It could be as simple as dead/missing batteries and you could walk away with a deal, or you can have this happen. The manual hints that they need to be changed every 1.5 to 2 years. With 3DS development now EOL, who knows how many of these are sitting around with the batteries left inside? Remember to remove them when you put away your Partner-CTR.

Reactions: PJF and T_chan

scalr

Registered
Mar 24, 2022
I know this is several months later, but is it permanently dead due to the corrosion? Did cleaning it up not yield any results?

MSX

Is secretly 32-bit
Original poster
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 7, 2019
Donations
£543.68
AGName
MSX
AG Join Date
Dec 7, 2011
I know this is several months later, but is it permanently dead due to the corrosion? Did cleaning it up not yield any results?
Fortunately I cleaned it up a bit and it came back to life. There was so much crud on the battery terminals it wasn't making good contact.

deadlegion

Registered
Feb 16, 2021
Fortunately I cleaned it up a bit and it came back to life. There was so much crud on the battery terminals it wasn't making good contact.
That looks pretty terrible. Did you remove the battery holder and give the board a good clean? I would replace the battery holder myself and maybe even look at replacing that with a removable rechargeable option. Will it work with less than 3v?

Make a donation