Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

PS3 Ps3 CECHG01 showing GLOD after YLOD repair attempt?

GiroNeko

Original poster
Registered
Jul 3, 2021
Hey, wasup guys!

I will try to make a long story short about this ps3. Starting with a warning, I want to say that I am not an expert when it comes to YLOD and repair. This was my first attempt at fixing one with YLOD.
So, with that being said, it all started when a teacher of mine had lots of spare ps3 in my college gathering dust and I noticed it. I asked him some questions about it and he let me test all of them to see which one was working and which wasn't with the promise of them being given to anyone interested in them.
So, I tested all of them, and who guessed, the earliest model among all of them gave the YLOD.
After that, I was given full permission to do whatever the fuck I wanted with that console, since it wasn't working anyway. I wanted to do this because I like messing around with stuff and I wanted to learn more about how to repair Ps3s in general.
Followed this guide -> https://www.psx-place.com/threads/research-experimental-nec-tokin-capacitors-replacement-ylod.25260/
I inspected the motherboard to see if I could find the issue, and I found the culprits (probably? since this fucker refuses to work)
1654555428468.png
1654555458831.png
1654555477369.png
Well, following the guide, I replaced them with 470uf tantalum caps as you can see by the image below.1654555658961.png
Urray! YLOD IS GONE! But well, this isn't the end of the story. After that, I started doing some tests, and here comes the part where I am clueless, the ps3 is giving me a GLOD?
I wouldn't say it's exactly GLOD, since I've looked and lurked into some forums and they say it turns off after some seconds. The issue is that mine doesn't.
It just stays on and doesn't give any kind of video or audio. I've tried doing that trick which consists of holding the power button to reset the output, but no success at all.
Have I put too many caps (found some inconsistency in some tutorials)? Have I made a mistake? Is the rsx doomed? Should I do a reflow? I dunno, couldn't find the answer on the internet, so I thought I might get an answer here hopefully.
Leave your guesses or perhaps the answer to what might be the issue.

Thanks in advance!

JustAnyone

Donator
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Jan 20, 2019
AGName
mindaugasgt
AG Join Date
Jul 10, 2018
try doing uart code diagnostic. chances are that ylod was actually caused by dead gpu and by replacing capacitors you just ~reflowed it to no longer show ylod. uart code will allow to determine exact cause

Reactions: GiroNeko

GiroNeko

Original poster
Registered
Jul 3, 2021
try doing uart code diagnostic. chances are that ylod was actually caused by dead gpu and by replacing capacitors you just ~reflowed it to no longer show ylod. uart code will allow to determine exact cause
I should definitely try, but I lack the usb converter, and I would probably need to buy/make one. For now I am trying to avoid that route.
Thanks for answering!

GiroNeko

Original poster
Registered
Jul 3, 2021
Update!

Managed to get a ft232 and did a uart diagnostic and got 3034/4402 codes. Basically dead rsx.
Tried reballing with no success, might try to revive it in the future using another rsx.

Thanks!

Reactions: n99k3d

Make a donation