Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

PS2 PS2 Slim: Requesting help with diagnosis

Shademp

Original poster
Jun 2, 2019
Error: Modded, region-free PS2 Slim will not read discs even after laser replacement. Potentially some motor error but I can't tell, as parts seem to be moving.

Images of the console and its interior:

History:
I have no experience with repairing consoles other than trying to fix this PS2 console.

The old laser failed. I acquired a (de)soldering kit, bought a new laser, desoldered the appropriate part of the laser and installed it.

After first installation the console made loud BRRRRR noises, as the laser smacks into the disc spinner for some reason.
After re-installation the loud mechanical noises stopped, but the console would not read discs. Games do not get booted up.

Noticed the ribbon cable that is connected to the laser looked damage. Bought a new one and installed it.
After installation of the ribbon cable, I got the same old mechanical error as when I had first installed the new laser. I have no idea what this means.

Video showing the mechanical error (warning: up-close shot of my hand)

Requesting help with diagnosing what is going on here and what my next step should be. Thanks in advance!

Shizzy

Registered
Jun 1, 2019
Error: Modded, region-free PS2 Slim will not read discs even after laser replacement. Potentially some motor error but I can't tell, as parts seem to be moving.

Images of the console and its interior:

History:
I have no experience with repairing consoles other than trying to fix this PS2 console.

The old laser failed. I acquired a (de)soldering kit, bought a new laser, desoldered the appropriate part of the laser and installed it.

After first installation the console made loud BRRRRR noises, as the laser smacks into the disc spinner for some reason.
After re-installation the loud mechanical noises stopped, but the console would not read discs. Games do not get booted up.

Noticed the ribbon cable that is connected to the laser looked damage. Bought a new one and installed it.
After installation of the ribbon cable, I got the same old mechanical error as when I had first installed the new laser. I have no idea what this means.

Video showing the mechanical error (warning: up-close shot of my hand)

Requesting help with diagnosing what is going on here and what my next step should be. Thanks in advance!
On the right side of the laser assembly there is a switch that gets pressed when the laser reaches the spindle. If that switch is not working it will do exactly what you are seeing. The drive has no way of knowing the laser is in position and will ram into the spindle.

I would try to press the 2 lid switches with the top off and make sure that switch is getting depressed. My money is on a defective part.

Reactions: Shademp

Shademp

Original poster
Jun 2, 2019
Thank you, @Shizzy. I might have found the switch you're talking about.

I observed that the laser will ram into the spindle when this switch is pressed and/or released.

This switch is normally only pressed when I move the disc tray lid up or down.

Video of me pressing the switch and triggering the mechanical error:

Could this mean that the physical switch itself is broken?

If that's the case then I have no idea if repairing the console is realistic for me as an amateur.

Mad Modders

Community Contributors
Community Contributor
Jan 8, 2021

I observed that the laser will ram into the spindle when this switch is pressed and/or released.

If that's the case then I have no idea if repairing the console is realistic for me as an amateur.

is the console modded

Mad Modders

Community Contributors
Community Contributor
Jan 8, 2021

also where did u get laser from and did u remover the solder ball if the laser is a refub

Make a donation