Insert Title Here
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Feb 3, 2019
Donations
£126.57
Nice!
They were, I'll be documenting more in depth soon.

Also, you didnt obscure the serials in the upper pics but obscured them in the lower. Just FYI in case you didnt want those visible. :p

D

Deleted member 274

Original poster
I use a different process in the upper ones ? Those are not the actual serials at all.

Reactions: kabojnk

Trimesh

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Trimesh
AG Join Date
Jul 4, 2008
Strange it has CE and VCCI markings - that normally suggests that certification testing has been done - but the "test/evaluation" marking suggests that it hasn't.

Reactions: Deleted member 274
D

Deleted member 274

Original poster
Strange it has CE and VCCI markings - that normally suggests that certification testing has been done - but the "test/evaluation" marking suggests that it hasn't.
Yes that's only on the wireless model though, none of the wired ones had this. It is unusual and rather interesting. This is the only wireless prototype that I recall ever seeing. I'm still trying to figure out the exact purpose of these, I'm still leaning heavily on prototype tradeshow kits but maybe not? They only boot when a controller is plugged into port 4 for example.

Trimesh

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Trimesh
AG Join Date
Jul 4, 2008
Yes that's only on the wireless model though, none of the wired ones had this. It is unusual and rather interesting. This is the only wireless prototype that I recall ever seeing. I'm still trying to figure out the exact purpose of these, I'm still leaning heavily on prototype tradeshow kits but maybe not? They only boot when a controller is plugged into port 4 for example.

The tester kits were normally hardwired simply for interference reasons since they were being used in large numbers in the same room - they are still using the same RF protocol to communicate, it's just that the antennas are removed and an attenuated version of the TX signal is sent down.

Thinking about some more, both CE and VCCI are self-certification based - and having the antennas installed would mean that the product was classified as an intentional radiator, which means more testing. I guess it's possible that they did the EMC testing on the prototypes and found it complied, so they put that label on - but the FCC certification rules are different and require that a formal report is filed, which you normally won't do for a prototype - which would explain that "Test/Evaulation only" marking, since you can legally import non-FCC certified products into the US for those purposes, as long as you retain control of them (I.E. "cannot be sold, offered for sale or leased").

It would be interesting to see what board these units have in them - an RVL-CPU-01 or something else?

Make a donation