Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

GC Panasonic Q: Any trusty EU based repair center/person?

Tchoin

Original poster
Registered
Jun 22, 2019
www.start-game.com
AGName
Tchoin
AG Join Date
Mar 24, 2008
Hi folks, long time... I'm not very active in the hobby lately, other than the odd buying here and there, and organizing my shelves :D

I've been putting aside consoles I have in need of repair, among them 2 Panasonic Qs which I don't dare open up myself.

Both have tray issues, and one in addition has the front panel buttons screwed up with mixed commands (e.g. the "eject" button changes the "game/dvd" mode). I haven't been lucky finding any repair center/person in Ireland, so expanding now my horizons... but it is a scary endeavor to ship these beauties out for repair.

Any advice?

deadlegion

Registered
Feb 16, 2021
The tray is "stuck" on both of them?
Probably a bad belt.
Belts in all sorts of players stretch and harden over time, it's a common issue with Laserdisc players for example.

No idea about the buttons issue though.

I have never had one of these unfortunately so I haven't pulled one apart, but I would give it a go if I was in your position. That's just me though, I don't find disassembling things that daunting really.
Sourcing new belts might seem difficult but it's just a matter of measuring existing belts and looking online for a size match, looking for an actual Q replacement belt would be harder than that I guess (I'm basing my assumption on experience with Laserdisc and VHS player belts. Also, I don't live in NA or EU).

Tchoin

Original poster
Registered
Jun 22, 2019
www.start-game.com
AGName
Tchoin
AG Join Date
Mar 24, 2008
Hey, thanks for your reply, one of them is stuck, and the other comes out half-way through, sometimes all the way.

I'm aware that Panasonic Qs suffer from drive belt and drive tray rail issues (rails become brittle and brake). I have experience replacing drive belts on other systems (e.g. Twinsharp) but taking apart the Q is a whole other dimension afaik. The issue with the button mapping would also be beyond my ability.

I guess I might have to give it a try on the tray issue myself, maybe trying on the one with the screwed up button mapping which is the one in worst shape.

nold

Donator
Donator
Registered
Jun 18, 2019
Donations
£21.45
AGName
nold
AG Join Date
Nov 19, 2017
I've worked on one Q so far, replaced the whole drive with a 3d printed one, replaced belt & installed Qoob.

I'm also from Europe, so hit me with a PM if you want to have a chat.

Make a donation