GoTeamScotch

Original poster
Registered
Jun 4, 2019
AGName
GoTeamScotch
AG Join Date
Jul 14, 2016
In the available source code, have we been able to track down what that big long list of random numbers is?
or
the source code behind the sawtooth wave generation?
Seamus implies that the easter egg is "more obvious", so I would not assume that the numbers in the white noise in the audio or in the audio generation code would lead to any discoveries. It's likely something visible on screen (or something you can hear) during the animation sequence that we just don't understand yet, like it's hiding in plain sight. The alternative is that it's something gets triggered which leads to an "obvious" easter egg moment to appear.

I’ve been trying to imput names for my memory card hoping there is a trigger there along with console nicknames - nothing yet.

Looking into pipeworks a little more turns up a game called the incredible machine which the whole boot animation appears to nod at. There is also a reference In the cover art to the old school title Red Baron.

Further edit: I f you watch the Angry Video Game Nerd Jurassic Park Tresspasser episode you will discover this guy does lot's of reference eggs and little else. what ever this egg is my bet is it's not worth the hunt.

It's a shame really, with everything the xbox had at it's disposal it could easy had at least 1 built in game even if it was an 8 bit space invaders played on one of those little screens in the video settings menu.
Keep in mind that the boot animation loads really early in the hardware initialization process. And it's very compact code. The hard drive isn't even accessible yet. If I recall, the console's name is stored on the HDD. The USB ports aren't even initialized at this point, so memory cards plugged into those ports wouldn't be accessible either. Changing memory card names or console names, in my opinion, likely won't lead to success because the sequence doesn't have access to that hardware yet.

The EEPROM, however, is accessible and the startup animation does access it for figuring out if the animation should be played in Widescreen and which video mode (ntsc/pal) to use and a few other things, but it doesn't seem to reference the EEPROM in many ways at all.

As a reminder, the EEPROM stores this info:
  • HDD key
  • Region code + DVD region
  • Serial number
  • MAC address + IP Address + DNS + gateway + subnet mask
  • Video standard (pal/ntsc)
  • Timezone + Daylight savings
  • Language
  • Parental controls (for games and DVDs), including button-combination for lock
So, the animation can access these pieces of information during startup. In theory, it could look at one (or more) and then decide to do something if certain conditions are met. Trying all possible combinations isn't feasible because the number of possible combinations is exponentially huge. The only other option is to look through the code for references to the EEPROM and try and deduce what it's using it for to look for clues. So far I haven't found anything interesting in that regard.

I think I just found it Folks! the Audio file "Settings sub menu in_LR.wav" found on the xbox Dashboard is the exact same sound the SEGA dreamcast makes when it disconnects from the internet.

Do I win anything?
That's in the Dashboard, which loads after the animation. Seamus seems to imply that the easter egg is in the animation.

GoTeamScotch

Original poster
Registered
Jun 4, 2019
AGName
GoTeamScotch
AG Join Date
Jul 14, 2016
EDIT-- Seamus later confirmed that the easter egg is something that gets triggered and then appears on screen. It is not something that is "hidden in plain sight". The post I wrote below goes down a rabbit hole that ultimately isn't helpful towards the hunt.

-----------------------------------

After starring at the boot animation again recently while trying to figure this whole thing out, I got the sense that I was going in the total wrong direction so far. If it's really that "obvious", then it shouldn't require someone to analyze it frame-by-frame or dive deep into the source code to figure out. I kept coming back to the thought, "It's not obvious to me, but it would be to someone else".

I also thought about how when a gamer hears the phrase "easter egg", they usually think it's some kind of series of actions that are carried out before the easter egg is shown. Get on top of this roof, jump through the Halo rings in a certain sequence to produce a sound, enter the Konami code, etc. But this probably wasn't something you had to trigger at all. It's already there.

Let's take a step back and start from the basics. What is the animation anyways? The animation sequence is supposed to be a nuclear-reactor scene. The energy blob at the center is radioactive- it's green, it's glowing, it's chaotic, and energetic. The apparatus that surrounds the blob is seemingly harnessing its power, just like a nuclear reactor. As the camera zooms out, the Xbox logo is revealed, implying the Xbox is being powered by this incredible power. This all fits perfectly within with the context of Xbox's roots. Xbox (formerly the "DirectX box") was spawned out of DirectX, which was codenamed "The Manhattan Project" (source).

[DirectX's] name, and legacy radiation logo, was taken from the codename given to the development of the first nuclear weapons, later used by the United States against Japan in the final days of World War 2. The Manhattan Project was chosen as a code name because (according to St. John) it reflected the teams’ desire, as an American company, to displace the dominant Japanese companies within the videogame market.
(source)

175.png

Just like DirectX before it, the Xbox was made by a small group of smart people who had foresight of technology that was soon to come. Both platforms were not "on-brand" with what Microsoft was typically known for. Microsoft had (has?) a reputation for being this giant boring and safe software company. Far from fun, edgy, or cool. DirectX was made because Windows kind of sucked as a gaming platform at the time (mid 90's), and game developers were not all that interested in developing games that ran on more modern versions Windows.

I was in charge of game compatibility with Windows 95, so I was working with all the DOS game developers to make sure the games worked better in Windows 95; that's where a lot of the relationships came from. But when I said, 'Hey would you guys consider making your next game on Windows?' they laughed at me. I said, "Well what's the problem?" and they told me, "Your OS is fat, it's slow, it sucks up memory; everything's just in the way, and it doesn't have the features we need." I said, "Well what would I have to do in Windows to make it a better game environment?" They said if I can solve the driver problems Windows had and essentially shut down the OS, that would be helpful.
(source)

DirectX came from this renegade-like attitude to try something completely different. Continuing in this tradition, the Xbox was also something completely different from anything Microsoft had done before; it was a video game console made for the living room, meant to compete directly against Sony and Nintendo. Both were kind of longshot ideas, but they worked because of the people who built them. Those folks had the foresight and vision to see where technology was heading, and try and steer the ship in that direction.

Anyways, back on track, so the animation is a nuclear reactor scene, and it was for a product made by people who were very much interested in the future of technology and who had foresight for where it was heading. These guys probably grew up watching shows like Star Trek, where things like cellphones and computer-driven voice-assistants were first put on screen during an era when computers were still the size of entire rooms, sparking the imagination of a generation of viewers.

So, naturally, Star Trek was an early guess. The warp-drive on the USS Enterprise, for example, looks familiar...

startrekwarpcore.jpg

Here's another view (from a Star Trek video game):

startrekgamewarpcore.jpg

Side by side:

Fud1vjr.png

At this point, I figured it looked close enough that this might actually be it.

So I asked...

easter.jpg

So, "yeah", meaning yes it's about the scene as a whole and it's a reference to something (seemingly a sci-fi reference or something in pop-culture?), and it's not specifically a reference to the warp drive in Star Trek.

I had a couple other guesses, but so far no reply.

The hunt continues, though now in a different direction. I was a kid when Xbox came out, so someone from an older generation than I might instinctively recognize it from somewhere out of previous decades. Help me out, fellow nerds, what is this in reference to?

Last edited:

BLEEN

Apr 19, 2021
After starring at the boot animation again recently while trying to figure this whole thing out, I got the sense that I was going in the total wrong direction so far. If it's really that "obvious", then it shouldn't require someone to analyze it frame-by-frame or dive deep into the source code to figure out. I kept coming back to the thought, "It's not obvious to me, but it would be to someone else".

I also thought about how when a gamer hears the phrase "easter egg", they usually think it's some kind of series of actions that are carried out before the easter egg is shown. Get on top of this roof, jump through the Halo rings in a certain sequence to produce a sound, enter the Konami code, etc. But this probably wasn't something you had to trigger at all. It's already there.

Let's take a step back and start from the basics. What is the animation anyways? The animation sequence is supposed to be a nuclear-reactor scene. The energy blob at the center is radioactive- it's green, it's glowing, it's chaotic, and energetic. The apparatus that surrounds the blob is seemingly harnessing its power, just like a nuclear reactor. As the camera zooms out, the Xbox logo is revealed, implying the Xbox is being powered by this incredible power. This all fits perfectly within with the context of Xbox's roots. Xbox (formerly the "DirectX box") was spawned out of DirectX, which was codenamed "The Manhattan Project" (source).

View attachment 10829

Just like DirectX before it, the Xbox was made by a small group of smart people who had foresight of technology that was soon to come. Both platforms were not "on-brand" with what Microsoft was typically known for. Microsoft had (has?) a reputation for being this giant boring and safe software company. Far from fun, edgy, or cool. DirectX was made because Windows kind of sucked as a gaming platform at the time (mid 90's), and game developers were not all that interested in developing games that ran on more modern versions Windows.

DirectX came from this renegade-like attitude to try something completely different. Continuing in this tradition, the Xbox was also something completely different from anything Microsoft had done before; it was a video game console made for the living room, meant to compete directly against Sony and Nintendo. Both were kind of longshot ideas, but they worked because of the people who built them. Those folks had the foresight and vision to see where technology was heading, and try and steer the ship in that direction.

Anyways, back on track, so the animation is a nuclear reactor scene, and it was for a product made by people who were very much interested in the future of technology and who had foresight for where it was heading. These guys probably grew up watching shows like Star Trek, where things like cellphones and computer-driven voice-assistants were first put on screen during an era when computers were still the size of entire rooms, sparking the imagination of a generation of viewers.

So, naturally, Star Trek was an early guess. The warp-drive on the USS Enterprise, for example, looks familiar...

View attachment 10831

Here's another view (from a Star Trek video game):

View attachment 10832

Side by side:

View attachment 10833

At this point, I figured it looked close enough that this might actually be it.

So I asked...

View attachment 10830

So, "yeah", meaning yes it's about the scene as a whole and it's a reference to something (seemingly a sci-fi reference or something in pop-culture?), and it's not specifically a reference to the warp drive in Star Trek.

The hunt continues, though now in a different direction. I was a kid when Xbox came out, so someone from an older generation than I might instinctively recognize it from somewhere out of previous decades. Help me out, fellow nerds, what is this in reference to?
I think I got it. It's the Sonic bonus level balls and Sonic rings.

stuntpenguin

Donator
Donator
Registered
Dec 6, 2020
Donations
£1,000.48
AGName
stuntpenguin
AG Join Date
This actually lives in my head and bothers me frequently. Thanks for posting haha.

I seem to remember hearing it was something not super hidden. At least that's my recollection of some old dialogue between some insider and public twitter (sorry, I skimmed this thread). I've been under the impression that its something that can be seen or heard. I know this isn't the answer, but that warp core reminds me of a level of DK64 haha.

I think we should break down the response from Seamus Blackley. There were two / three questions asked in the twitter thread:
So I asked...
  • Is it the scene in general
  • Is it a reference to a sci-fi trope
  • Is it a nod to Star Trek

The answer to one of these is "Yes". I personally believe its in the "scene" but I feel a little hesitation after reading such a vague response.

TOTALLY spitballing. Maybe something is encoded in a way. The only real dynamic part is the blob. Does it spell something out in binary?

I think this is very well on the right track. The intro moves very quickly and is very fluid. It needs to be divided in to segments. A clock of sorts would allow us to say when specific bits are active. I thought I saw an ascii b but it's not easy to tell.

My best guess is that given some clock, the blob spells out "Xbox" in ascii. The circle is divided in to 8 parts -- each representing a bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerich0

Hazard

Incinerator
Donator
Registered
Jun 4, 2020
Donations
£10.00
Maybe the "explosion" or "blob" it's the movement of some character? Like flubber from the movie or the Chaos 0 from sonic adventure, something like that?

heslo

Jun 1, 2019
There's this which I didn't know about but I don't think it's what you're after

Hazard

Incinerator
Donator
Registered
Jun 4, 2020
Donations
£10.00
When asked whether his Xbox startup Easter egg involves entering certain controller inputs during the animation, he replied, “Nope, it doesn’t. But I’m tempted to say it does. But no it doesn’t really. At all. For sure. I’m pretty sure at least.”
Maybe its without the controller attached? Some lights o message?

GoTeamScotch

Original poster
Registered
Jun 4, 2019
AGName
GoTeamScotch
AG Join Date
Jul 14, 2016
A new easter egg for the original Xbox has been revealed today via Kotaku (link to article here). This new easter egg causes a hidden credits screen to appear in the System Info section on the Xbox Dashboard, with Xbox Dashboard developers' names listed out. This easter egg is different from the one we're talking about in this thread, and Seamus has confirmed that these easter eggs are indeed separate.

Thankfully, Blackley was kind enough to respond to a few queries about all of this. He confirmed that yes, the Xbox Easter egg he has in mind does in fact revolve around the Xbox’s boot animation, and is not the “Timmy” secret we’re revealing today—which he actually didn’t know about. --via Kotaku

Seamus also confirmed with Kotaku that the easter egg does not require controller inputs in order to activate.
When asked whether his Xbox startup Easter egg involves entering certain controller inputs during the animation, he replied, “Nope, it doesn’t. But I’m tempted to say it does. But no it doesn’t really. At all. For sure. I’m pretty sure at least.” --via Kotaku

He said "no" in a meandering sort of way, which lends itself to speculation as to if he's hinting at something without saying it OR if it's actually just been 20 years and he doesn't 100% remember.

The Kotaku article links to this thread specifically, so hello to anyone on the internet just learning about all this. ;)

Reactions: Jerich0

speedyink

Registered
May 31, 2019
Does this new credits easter egg trigger the same credits as the old way but with a different trigger, or is it a different credits screen?

The way he said the controller thing was weird. Makes me believe something odd, like instead of "controller inputs" like the dude specifically said, what about plugging certain things in the expansion port on the controller, in a specific order possibly, or in a specific controller port

Edit: HA! Just killed my Xbox trying different combinations. Only got to starting to try different controller port combinations, on like the 4th or 5th shut down it turned off, with a little "pffft" sound....Now it turns on and beeps at me. Methinks I blew a capacitor, lol. It's a 1.6 so it shouldn't have a clock capacitor.

glxxbox

May 22, 2021
Hi! I just came here from the Kotaku. The easter egg interests me. I've never been an original xbox fan, but I am a retro gamer collector and I have a 3 original xbox lying around.

I am a software engineer that works in c++, but not in the video game industry. I thought it would be easy to find the easter egg with the source code, but after 30 minutes looking at the code, I understand now why it's not easy.

I found the april 2002 source code, but the makefile does not seem to be good because FINAL_BUILD is not defined. Do we have the final makefile?

reknave

Oct 15, 2019
Hi! I just came here from the Kotaku. The easter egg interests me. I've never been an original xbox fan, but I am a retro gamer collector and I have a 3 original xbox lying around.

I am a software engineer that works in c++, but not in the video game industry. I thought it would be easy to find the easter egg with the source code, but after 30 minutes looking at the code, I understand now why it's not easy.

I found the april 2002 source code, but the makefile does not seem to be good because FINAL_BUILD is not defined. Do we have the final makefile?
The '02 code archive is no good for... most things. That, and it's been picked and prodded at for years already, to no avail.
The newer release, the one with the dash files and some XDK demos, that's the one with the most potential.

Reactions: Recession2008

killshock360

May 22, 2021
hey guys. just joined because of this. since we learned the scene is reference to something else, i kinda want to say its a reference to Frankenstein. this is the Xbox coming to life, and the sound of the blob moving sounds a lot like a heart beat coming back to life as well like in halo 4 trailer. i mean, this would be a very obvious reference

WaggishOhio383

May 22, 2021
Hey all! Just joined because I thought I would give some input on a thought I had. So from what I've read, it looks like you guys have recently been operating on the assumption that the general scene of the startup animation is a reference to something else (in particular I'm referring to the post below)

So I asked...

easter.jpg

But what Seamus said yesterday makes me think that this may have been going in the wrong direction. If the scene of the startup animation itself was the easter egg, then it wouldn't require any manipulation to identify it. But the way Seamus says he's "tempted to say it does" require controller inputs makes me think there's some sort of trigger (maybe not actual controller inputs, but rather plugging things in a certain way) that would perhaps change the background scene of the startup sequence, then revealing the pop culture reference we're supposed to be getting? This would also go along with what he said about it being blatantly obvious and not something you'd miss if you found the easter egg. This is just something I had been thinking about that I figured I'd share...

But then if this was true, I feel like data miners would definitely have found out if there was a completely different startup animation scene hidden in the code somewhere, but I don't know a thing about data mining myself, so maybe the code wouldn't be as obvious as I think.

It just seems odd to me that if the easter egg is already hidden in plain sight and we aren't getting the reference, why have there been so many things to suggest that perhaps the easter egg has to be activated in some way?

Obviously I'm new to this whole thing, so please correct me if there are any things I'm getting wrong.

Last edited:

allman

Apr 20, 2021

(Edit: oops, I thought you were talking about the new egg mentioned on Kotaku here, found how that works below, no idea about the startup egg though - from what I've heard about it not using any controller inputs etc I guess it's something you see or hear, maybe a reference to something like MobCat said below, probably something that if you knew about it you'd be able to tell straight away...)

Edit3: probably worth pointing out for people hunting the startup egg: the source leak doesn't actually include the code that displays the soundtrack-egg credits, just the triggering code, the credits themselves are in a settings_adoc.xip (actually .xbe) file.
Somehow that file ended up on retail/devkit boxes even though it's not in the source-tree (guess they didn't put the code in source-depot to try hiding it from other MS devs), it's possible other things were customized/not-from-source too...

About the soundtrack name easter egg:

The egg seems to be a little obfuscated, the "xbox\private\ui\xapp\MusicCollection.cpp" file has a function "CMusicCollection::AddSoundtrack" that compares the hash of the soundtrack name against two different hashes (both hashes are stored merged into a single "KeyDigest" array).

I'm guessing the two hashes it checks against are probably for the old <<Eggsβox>> string, and the new Timmy... one - I tried checking this by hashing the strings myself but the XCCalcDigest function they use to hash is a little finicky, didn't manage to recreate how it works yet, so haven't 100% confirmed it myself - can't really think of many other reasons they'd hash the soundtrack name though :p

Interesting thing to note is that they seem to swap out one of the hashes on devkits for a different hash, so there might still be a hidden soundtrack-name still left to be found :)

Edit: eventually got a hash to match up, SHA1 of "
3E000000540069006D006D00790079007900790079007900790079007900790079007900790079007900790079007900790079007900790079007900790079002100" (Timmy... in UTF16 + 32-bit length prefix) == DCC17E01DD4CBA28077DE2F037E235D5B77FCD62, which matches up with second KeyDigest hash in both retail & devkit :)
Haven't been able to create a matching hash for the <<Eggsβox>> one though, probably encode the β in some weird way, but since we know it works the same way it's 99% likely that's the first retail KeyDigest hash.

Edit2: Aha, "xbox\private\ui\xapp\keyboard.cpp" defines the β as 0x00DF, so <<Eggsβox>> becomes "160000003C003C004500670067007300DF006F0078003E003E00" which hashes to A6CD04B703819E38AEC2EDF3FFB9A7A9C2A5398C, the first entry of retail KeyDigest.

Devkit KeyDigest changes that hash to 3A1447E8BDAFFCFF247A881E932073EF009922E8 though, no clue what that might be, wonder if we'll ever find out...
(If anyone wants to try cracking it just remember max length of soundtrack name seems to be 31 chars/62 bytes, and the first 4 bytes of hashed data needs to be the length of the data being hashed afterward, good luck :))

Last edited:
Reactions: reknave and XBOX

GoTeamScotch

Original poster
Registered
Jun 4, 2019
AGName
GoTeamScotch
AG Join Date
Jul 14, 2016
Update- we've created a Discord server to speed up conversations about this topic. Anyone up for a hunt can join us here:
https://discord.gg/3fBH5xCn

Hopefully this will be a good spot to throw around ideas and collaborate.

Reactions: reknave

MobCat

May 30, 2019
Ok just to recap.... and to ramble a little sorry.
This Easter egg is mostly "hidden in plain sight" and not triggered
As the retail and later devkit bios's are compiled without the FINAL_BUILD flag NO user inputs are read while booting
(For eg the library to read controller inputs is not even loaded yet so no amount of controller mashing and port swapping will work / do anything)
That was probably done as a "quick hack" to disable the debug "animation inspector" for the retail builds for a lack of better terms.
Easter egg might have something to do with the flubber animation, however this is semi random.
(to elaborate on a different / use as example "easter egg" in blue bios ver on some later ps1 consoles, the "90s rad colors"
for the text background changes when you reset the console from the bios back to the bios, don't load a game inbetween)
In debug and hacked xboxs there is a warm soft reset (LT+RT+Black+Start there are more resets in debug like cold, full power reboot and hot rebooting the xbe if i recall correctly)
so maybe on a certain reset those "random numbers" align to something.
If it really is obvious and in plain sight then that probably rules out things like a devs name etched in the back of the platform or something like that.
References to sega, dreamcast and maybe chihiro might be a lead as MS did work with sega on some of that stuff and xbox took a lot of inspiration from the dreamcast
like the memory cards being used like VMUs without screens for eg.
More likely is in reference to some 70's or 80's sci-fi (Seamus was born in 1967 for eg and most of the people working there at the time grew up in the 70's and 80's)
Also may not even be US sci-fi, for eg Dr Who (but no, stop that brain thought, that's WAYYY to obvious to the point of copyright infringement lol).
the egg is not plain text, would of been found ages ago if so. It probably has something to do with the animations and a reference to something at that.

To debunk and check my self a little.
No user inputs a read on bootup. However settings in the EEPROM is checked.
MS has been sorta hesitant on easter eggs to the point they are check for and reported in the debugging and product testing phase
(easter eggs kinda became a problem with the office 95, 97 and win 98 eggs).
So in this case if it is some how triggered then "beating rocks together" wont be enough, needs to be something that would of
flew under the raider in testing.

So my only ideas would be the flubber doing something on resets Or some "impossible" hardware config that wasn't found in testing.
Like having all region of the dvd remote dongles plugged in at once.
Region mismatches (but it's fairly common to force NTSC on PAL xboxs for 1080i support so we would of found the egg by now if it was that)
Some Parental controls code. However that's a trigger not hidden in plain sight so got to get those ideas out..
Would need to see the code and check what the boot anim code is checking on first power up.

But yeah again probably over thinking it, it probably has something to do with the animations as a hole referencing something, we just have to find what.
Any triggers, plain text or obvious if else statements in the code would of been found already.
Hackers had been poring over the bios code to make custom bios for years so I don't think its hidden in code at all.
Seamus keeps saying it's obvious so I don't think there are any triggers or text strings or anything like that.
And if it is in reference to something pop culture well most of us grue up in the 90's and 2000's so we would need help from someone from the 70's or 80's
And it's also been 20 years since the xbox came out and 50 years since the 70's and 74 years since the end of the manhattan project so we may just be misremembering something.
Sooo if its simple but obvious we may just be overlooking something we don't know we are looking at because we where not there.
Worst case is it's subtle AF and we have already managed to trigger it or been seeing it the hole time but, it's not of our time so we don't see it.

Milenko

Mar 2, 2020
AGName
Milenko
Edit3: probably worth pointing out for people hunting the startup egg: the source leak doesn't actually include the code that displays the soundtrack-egg credits, just the triggering code, the credits themselves are in a settings_adoc.xip (actually .xbe) file.
Somehow that file ended up on retail/devkit boxes even though it's not in the source-tree (guess they didn't put the code in source-depot to try hiding it from other MS devs), it's possible other things were customized/not-from-source too...
Not entirely true.. BackToLauncher2 is the function that executes CODA (settings_adoc) :)

edit: I read this completely wrong.. 🤣

bLiGhTy

Dec 31, 2020
Anyone else notice that the xbox clock can actualy roll into next century even though it can not be set into next century? might be a long waitng game.

I wasn't convinced it had anything to do with the boot animation before last weekend.

Attachments

• image0.jpg
    image0.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 0

GoTeamScotch

Original poster
Registered
Jun 4, 2019
AGName
GoTeamScotch
AG Join Date
Jul 14, 2016
I got confirmation from Seamus that the animation easter egg is something that gets triggered and then appears. It is NOT simply something that is already visible on screen that we haven't noticed yet.

The hunt continues...

Make a donation