Nintendo 3DS Best Buy "Retail Display"

Voodooween

Original poster
Registered
May 30, 2019
AG Join Date
Feb 10, 2017
Hey,

I have in my collection since a couple of month now a "Nintendo 3DS Best Buy Retail Display".
The console has one big difference with a retail or a kiosk 3DS, it's the ac plug :

(You can click on picture if you want the full resolution)

I noticed it's a "Micro HDMI Type D"

Here is the back of the console :

You can see that the console doesn't has anything to hold a battery.

So I don't know how to get this working (I i apologise if this thread is not on the good section) and I don't find any information about this except 2 youtube videos
Nintendo 3DS XL Best Buy :

Nintendo 3DS Best Buy :

Here is pictures of the PCB :

I'm really looking for some information and even some help to get this running.
Thanks !

cta

Registered
Jun 7, 2019
Maybe you could trace power and ground from the battery contacts (that unpopulated connector at the bottom of the first PCB shot; cross reference with the iFixit teardown of a normal unit for comparison) to the HDMI connector and hack up a cable to feed only those pins. Or hook right into the battery pads.

I've never seen one of those display stands. Do they have a big screen attached that might be fed an image sourced from the unit's HDMI/power port? (I can't really tell from the videos, it may just be an ad video on there.) If so, 1) noice!, 2) it might be a (mostly-)normal cable with an additional power source spliced in. I've seen those used for Raspi-inside-SNES-pad builds.

Reactions: Kelly

Voodooween

Original poster
Registered
May 30, 2019
AG Join Date
Feb 10, 2017
Maybe you could trace power and ground from the battery contacts (that unpopulated connector at the bottom of the first PCB shot; cross reference with the iFixit teardown of a normal unit for comparison) to the HDMI connector and hack up a cable to feed only those pins. Or hook right into the battery pads.

I've never seen one of those display stands. Do they have a big screen attached that might be fed an image sourced from the unit's HDMI/power port? (I can't really tell from the videos, it may just be an ad video on there.) If so, 1) noice!, 2) it might be a (mostly-)normal cable with an additional power source spliced in. I've seen those used for Raspi-inside-SNES-pad builds.

I tried from the battery contact to the hdmi port and the best I had was a battery light for 5sec.

So do I, I never seen one of those so I don't know how it works at all.

Reactions: Kelly

Voodooween

Original poster
Registered
May 30, 2019
AG Join Date
Feb 10, 2017
So, little update about this! I finaly find how to use the Best Buy 3DS & 3DS XL System.

For the 3DS version I had to connect a battery to the motherboard but since the plug is different as retail I just soldered the 5V & Ground cable from the battery to the PCB :

pcb5v.jpg

For the 3DS XL it was simplier since everything was already here I just had to plug a retail 3DS XL battery.

After that I had to create my own mini hdmi type D cable like that :

usbcable.png

(rated 10/10 schematic by every electronics guys :LOL:)

This cable will power up the unit just by plugin the mini hdmi type D to the Best Buy unit (doesn't even need to give it 5V lol).
When you plugged the cable you can now safely remove it and the console will stays on.
If you want to power off the console you'll have to plug the cable again (with 5V this time) and the power off menu will shows up.

The power & Home buttons are disabled by default.

Both console are obviously retail but doesn't really works as a retail unit, you cannot hot swap games on the menu. You can't launch a DS game by the home menu, you'll have to power off the console, insert the DS cartridge on your console, plug the console again and then the DS game will shows up on the home menu. But if (still on the home menu) you try a different DS game it won't works and your first DS game won't be recognize again.
Same behavior for a 3DS cartridge.

My 3DS was really used a lot with Super Mario 3D Land (demo) with a total of : 9999hours !

Voodooween

Original poster
Registered
May 30, 2019
AG Join Date
Feb 10, 2017
Another update, I've found how to "unlock" the power button on the O3DS (still looking for the O3DS XL, I will update this post when I find it).

UUDIY002700_1.jpg

This will make your mini hdmi type D as a power on / off button, you'll have to plug the "dongle" to power on the unit, and plug in it again to power off the unit.
This also works to power on the O3DS XL but not to power off the unit.

I'm right now trying to create a pinout of each pins for the O3DS & O3DS XL.

Reactions: Kelly and Dans34

lasscat

Jun 1, 2022
AGName
lasscat
AG Join Date
6/01/2022
eBay Username
ants.28
Hey do you have discord if so can you add me lasscat7071

lasscat

Jun 1, 2022
AGName
lasscat
AG Join Date
6/01/2022
eBay Username
ants.28
I have a bestbuy 3ds xl varient

Antviau

Registered
May 17, 2020
AGName
Antviau
Fuck that's incredibly cool! I mean where did you even find this?

Make a donation