2049 Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
-=FamilyGuy=-
AG Join Date
March 3, 2007
Thanks, I will tell him the idea that keep the mini-HDMI hole as a single version to avoid additional cost.
That'd be great IMO.

If he really doesn't like the small hole in the back, he could make an embossed guide for making our own hole on the inside, like a thinner recessed part.

darcagn

Registered
May 30, 2019
dcemulation.org
AGName
darcagn
AG Join Date
May 12, 2007
I disagree about making one version with mini HDMI. Personally, I wouldn't want the holes in the case if installing it in a console that didn't have DCHDMI. I know it isn't a big deal but if I'm dropping this much money on a case, I'm definitely gonna care how it looks...

The market for this case goes way beyond the market for DCHDMI, not everyone wants to bother with it (though I am an early adopter who loves it!)

I like FamilyGuy's idea better, but I'm not entirely sure it's the best way to go either because the 3D printed jig that comes with the DCHDMI kit keeps your drill bit aligned perpendicular to the case, so an installer is still better off not using any embossed indicators on the inside. I've done a couple of them, drilling the DCHDMI hole is really easy if you have the tools necessary (drill, the two bits, square file, and flat file). I would imagine anyone who owns a soldering station and has the hand coordination to solder the ribbon cable probably also has a drill and could get some files and take care of it? Just my opinion

Reactions: SONIC3D

SONIC3D

Donator
Donator
Registered
Jun 5, 2019
AGName
SONIC3D
AG Join Date
Oct 31, 2008
So has anyone managed to find the originator of these parts?
The project initiator has no account on twitter yet, nor on this forum.
He has no time or resource to sell these cases to international clients directly by himself at the moment. Focus on fixing mould problem of Saturn case currently. So for selling problem, you may have to find exist eBay sellers.
But if you just want to check for product album, he has a temporary site on https://retro2518.wordpress.com.
The site is maintained by himself and album images are mostly taken by early test users in China.
:coffee:

Last edited:

FREE_WORLD

Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
davesandell
AG Join Date
October 2nd 2012
Cool!
Thanks so much for your insight into this process...
I was wondering late last night if the originator of these might do other consoles? PSX PS2 etc.
It would certainly be cool to have a range of colours and superb quality items - at the moment we are stuck with high prices for old shells (I have a couple of different coloured PS1 cases - but the quality is only OK)...

Cooljerk

Jun 8, 2019
AGName
The Perfect K
I'm glad there's another run of shells incoming. I remember eyeballing a crystal blue shell for a long time, then all of the sudden seeing their prices spike to like $300 on ebay for just the shell. Had no idea there dude producing him was known here. I'll just keep patiently waiting for a good price, then.

Teddy Rogers

Jun 22, 2019
AGName
Teddy Rogers
AG Join Date
Aug 31, 2014
I messaged the Australian eBay seller a couple of weeks back and asked about the DCHDMI version. This is what he said...

hi, i will have red color as well, but no DCHDMI hole will be made, can't do any change as mold is fixed, only can make exact same case as original, thanks.

Ted.

Wombat

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Wombat
AG Join Date
14-03-2004
This really is some next level stuff. Liking the THIS IS COOL model a lot, hopefully more variants and originals will follow. The only thing I do wonder, seeing the creator put so much work in getting the details right, why not bother adding the WinCE text/logo.

@SONIC3D, seeing your in touch with the creator. Perhaps it's an idea to ask if in the future the cases can be shipped without the metallic swirl pre-attached, for those wanting to put on the original swirl. And also if there are any plans of adding the WinCE text.

Cooljerk

Jun 8, 2019
AGName
The Perfect K
am I seeing that page correctly? 300 yen? Those shells are under $5??

Cooljerk

Jun 8, 2019
AGName
The Perfect K
That's Yuan. Right now 388 Yuan is about $55 USD.

Ahhhh, yeah that makes much more sense haha.

Question regarding these shells: I saw one on ebay a while back (too rich for my blood) but noticed it didn't come with the Dreamcast emblem for the lid. Do these normally come with the emblem, and if not, is it hard to remove one from an existing dreamcast lid? If they can be removed, how?

That "This is Cool" saturn-dreamcast shell above is so amazing. I *have* to have it haha.

Runepune

Jun 28, 2019
AGName
Runepune
If only he would start making Gamecube full size dvd cases. I think they would have sold out instantly.

Reactions: Jade1975

darcagn

Registered
May 30, 2019
dcemulation.org
AGName
darcagn
AG Join Date
May 12, 2007
Ahhhh, yeah that makes much more sense haha.

Question regarding these shells: I saw one on ebay a while back (too rich for my blood) but noticed it didn't come with the Dreamcast emblem for the lid. Do these normally come with the emblem, and if not, is it hard to remove one from an existing dreamcast lid? If they can be removed, how?

That "This is Cool" saturn-dreamcast shell above is so amazing. I *have* to have it haha.

The old knockoffs that have been floating around for 15+ years now do not come with a decal. Be careful removing the one from your existing DC as it can be easy to bend it and make it no longer stay flat. I would suggest using heat to make it come up easier.

For these new shells, it comes with the weird metallic decal in the pics

SONIC3D

Donator
Donator
Registered
Jun 5, 2019
AGName
SONIC3D
AG Join Date
Oct 31, 2008
This really is some next level stuff. Liking the THIS IS COOL model a lot, hopefully more variants and originals will follow. The only thing I do wonder, seeing the creator put so much work in getting the details right, why not bother adding the WinCE text/logo.

@SONIC3D, seeing your in touch with the creator. Perhaps it's an idea to ask if in the future the cases can be shipped without the metallic swirl pre-attached, for those wanting to put on the original swirl. And also if there are any plans of adding the WinCE text.

I like the "THIS IS COOL" printing, too. I have passed your idea to the the project initiator. He said he's trying different design and printing technique. Currently the "THIS IS COOL" and "SEGA" logo are implement using silk screen printing. He's trying water transfer printing for larger and better colored logo design and trying to make it batch producible. But still need quite a lot time to make it perfect. For the water transfer printing reference effect in experimenting, just check the attachment.(Arsenal team mark is water transfer printing, and text around the shell is single color silk screen printing)

And the swirl label maybe still pre-attached for that's already done in production factory. You can take it down by rub it slightly clockwise/counterclockwise(to make the glue be softer). And more label design maybe created and sell separately in future.

Attachments

• A6E41543BB3B2D1C1584957AF24566E6.jpg
    A6E41543BB3B2D1C1584957AF24566E6.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 0

FamilyGuy

2049 Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
-=FamilyGuy=-
AG Join Date
March 3, 2007
So... I've received one of those case yesterday!

Full Disclaimer: I received it free of charge, as a gift, to test quality and give comments; explicitly with no strings attached, they even said I could sell it and not do any kind of review.

I got the "Crystal limited edition" aka translucent Smoke Grey. I received a non-final version, so some details might change for final units. This is not a thorough review, just firsts impressions.

I must say I'm very impressed by the overall quality of the product. The packaging is professional and the shell itself of great quality. I'd believed that it was a genuine Sega product if not told otherwise.

The metal logo feels sturdy, and came separately with some 3M double sided tape to install it, so did the other triangle on the lid (darker grey on white DC, black here). If you prefer to transfer the logo from an original shell, it should be relatively easy (use a heatgun).

It doesn't have the bottom electrical hazard sticker. Mine also doesn't have the silkscreened Sega logo above the controller ports, but I'm told final units will have it.

I've been told that it was reverse engineered through 3D scans and manual touch up by someone who's job is completely unrelated. It appears to be a work of passion, and it shows.

I don't have the time to install my main DC in it yet, and I won't for several months, but I might post a real review then. Planning on having GDEMU, DCHDMI, dual bios, Noctua fan, internal SD, and pico PSU in that case as my endgame.

Last edited:

Cooljerk

Jun 8, 2019
AGName
The Perfect K
So... I've received one of those case yesterday!

Full Disclaimer: I received it free of charge, as a gift, to test quality and give comments; explicitly with no strings attached, they even said I could sell it and not do any kind of review.

I got the "Crystal limited edition" aka translucent Smoke Grey. I received a non-final version, so some details might change for final units. This is not a thorough review, just firsts impressions.

I must say I'm very impressed by the overall quality of the product. The packaging is professional and the shell itself of great quality. I'd believed that it was a genuine Sega product if not told otherwise.

The metal logo feels sturdy, and came separately with some 3M double sided tape to install it, so did the other triangle on the lid (darker grey on white DC, black here). If you prefer to transfer the logo from an original shell, it should be relatively easy (use a heatgun).

It doesn't have the bottom electrical hazard sticker. Mine also doesn't have the silkscreened Sega logo above the controller ports, but I'm told final units will have it.

I've been told that it was reverse engineered through 3D scans and manual touch up by someone who's job is completely unrelated. It appears to be a work of passion, and it shows.

I don't have the time to install my main DC I it yet, and I won't for several months, but I might post a real review then. Planning on having GDEMU, DCHDMI, dual bios, Noctua fan, internal SD, and pico PSU in that case as my endgame.

Does the case come with any sort of replacement shell for the modem? If so, does it also fit the BBA? Looking at my BBA and the modem, the LAN port is slightly larger than the phone line port on the modem.

EDIT: What do you mean by "internal SD"?

Make a donation