Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

Dreamcast New Chinese Dreamcast console shells being produced

QUAKE

Sep 19, 2019
AGName
QUAKE
AG Join Date
Has anyone tried getting access to or making the cad files for the shell?

3D printing the entire case would be a great.
Especially the bottom portion. It would allow for more space for mods and ports.

Wombat

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Wombat
AG Join Date
14-03-2004
Does anyone have a direct link to the creators sales at Taobao?

Anthony817

Original poster
Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
I never could find the source to them on there. I asked around and gathered that the person from Australia was selling them as a middleman.

After researching a great deal I learned the creator of these from China is named Kevin Chyi and he works for an electronics company that has the equipment to make replacement plastics for electronic shells. All I can say is to try and Google "Kevin Chyi Dreamcast". A few hits come up about these shells but unfortunately it is getting difficult to track these down. They are being marked up from what I can tell and being auctioned off for up to $400 USD.

SONIC3D

Donator
Donator
Registered
Jun 5, 2019
AGName
SONIC3D
AG Join Date
Oct 31, 2008
Does anyone have a direct link to the creators sales at Taobao?

I never could find the source to them on there. I asked around and gathered that the person from Australia was selling them as a middleman.

After researching a great deal I learned the creator of these from China is named Kevin Chyi and he works for an electronics company that has the equipment to make replacement plastics for electronic shells. All I can say is to try and Google "Kevin Chyi Dreamcast". A few hits come up about these shells but unfortunately it is getting difficult to track these down. They are being marked up from what I can tell and being auctioned off for up to $400 USD.

It's a pity the creator has no official shop on Taobao as he has limited time to maintain customer support. So he sold them as private items on another platform in China, "XianYu", which is also run by Alibaba company but targeting on personal item exchange. The con side is that it's mainly targeting users in China only.

The creator seems don't want to disturb the business on foreign resellers too much so it's still encouraged to purchase from the Australia reseller or other resellers outside China as they really helped the creator deal with customs clearance on exporting these shells.

=======
Edited: The creator's info has been removed, as he requested me to remove domestic selling info to not disturb international resellers.

Last edited:

sibeer

Feb 6, 2020
Such a shame Kevin doesn't seem to want to set up a couple more re-sellers. One in Europe (ideally UK for me) and one in America and someone selling outside of eBay to save on fees would knock loads off the final price for people who are not in Australia.

Wombat

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Wombat
AG Join Date
14-03-2004
It was fun while it lasted, the shells now are available at multiple places but all with the SEGA-logo removed :cry:

Americandad

Registered
Jun 28, 2019
AGName
Americandad
AG Join Date
July 4, 2011

He has a blog where he posts (posted?) his latest takes on the Dreamcast shell. Pretty syre it was linked in this thread, or in it's predecessor at ag.

mattdrumgod

Mar 27, 2022
Sorry for bringing up an old discussion. I was wondering if anyone still had a way to contact Kevin? Whether it be direct or indirect. Thank you.

deadlegion

Registered
Feb 16, 2021
The 3rd party shells are still easy to find in Australia, on ebay.
Various colours. Prices range from around $80 aud to just over $100 aud (around $60-90 usd range) including local shipping. Obviously shipping to elsewhere would be more, but auspost shipping rates are better than US rates.

deadlegion

Registered
Feb 16, 2021
Do you know if they still sell the ones with the Sega logo on the front?
I can't see any with the Sega logo on the front, they do have the top badge though and there are still regional options (blue or red swirl).

Lots of colours but most are semi-transparent types.

Something I did notice is that the Resident Evil cases seem to have gone. I think there were red and blue cases that had RE theme top badges (STARS or Umbrella badges iirc).

Honestly, imo, not having the front logo is actually better as resellers can't be trying to fool people into thinking consoles are legit "special rare colours". Repros should have a fairly obvious sign that they are such without making them look stupid of course.

Reactions: Virtua Hunter

deadlegion

Registered
Feb 16, 2021
These clear type shells appear to have Sega front logo (see second picture):
But I haven't checked with the seller if they actually do have the logo (other pics seem to not have the logo), also can't see any info about lid logo. They also don't appear to have Windows CE logo in any of the pics.

I'm waiting on a message back from another different seller that I have used myself for other items, more expensive shell listing but might be the best chance of finding out if the logo shells are still available (same seller did have the RE type shells for sale at one point).

Virtua Hunter

Registered
Jun 23, 2019
Yeah the newest batches doesn't seem to have the Sega and Windows logo, unlike the previous ones.
The chinese translucent one doesn't have the logo either.

deadlegion

Registered
Feb 16, 2021
Yeah the newest batches doesn't seem to have the Sega and Windows logo, unlike the previous ones.
The chinese translucent one doesn't have the logo either.
As I said I wasn't sure about the listing I linked to earlier, but I was waiting to hear back from another seller that is known to me.
Well I got a reply and a fresh current picture of a transparent red case with both Sega front logo and the Windows CE logo :)

I'll try to attach an image of the red shell, but just in case image attachments aren't working here... no I won't upload it to a host. I don't do that, such images inevitably die and I don't want to deal with that crap in the future.

Seller stated all of his/her current shells have both front logos, and he/she has the regional options for swirl badge and the bottom stickers.
Prices are not the cheapest, but I've used this seller before and had no issues with items purchased.
Here's a link to a transparent blue shell, you can check the seller's other listings for other colours:

tl;dr the seller has confirmed to me that his/her shells have both front logos.

Also please note I live in Australia so postage for these shells to me is free. Please don't complain about the postage costs if you live OS. Aussies have had to deal with crazy US postage costs for years... just deal with it imo.

yes, all our case with sega and wince logos, thanks.​

s-l1600.jpg

Virtua Hunter

Registered
Jun 23, 2019
I noticed it's the same seller of the black case I was looking for

so I gues seven that have the sega and windows logo, right?

Yeah problem is those case aren't cheap, but it's even worst with shipping and especially now the taxes, at least for Europe.

deadlegion

Registered
Feb 16, 2021
I noticed it's the same seller of the black case I was looking for

so I gues seven that have the sega and windows logo, right?

Yeah problem is those case aren't cheap, but it's even worst with shipping and especially now the taxes, at least for Europe.
I included a direct quote from the seller above the pic of the red shell. Seller said all shells are like that (so revision 2 repros).

As I said Aussies have had to deal with crazy postage costs importing from OS countries for years now. There are still plenty of Chinese sellers (for some items) that have free or cheap postage, but for things that are easy to find in OS countries and hard to find over here locally we have little choice.

So now you know how it feels, except it's unlikely you have to deal with it as often ;)

Virtua Hunter

Registered
Jun 23, 2019
I included a direct quote from the seller above the pic of the red shell. Seller said all shells are like that (so revision 2 repros).

As I said Aussies have had to deal with crazy postage costs importing from OS countries for years now. There are still plenty of Chinese sellers (for some items) that have free or cheap postage, but for things that are easy to find in OS countries and hard to find over here locally we have little choice.

So now you know how it feels, except it's unlikely you have to deal with it as often ;)

don't know how it's in US, but the postage costs in Europe wasn't that good, now it's even worse.

deadlegion

Registered
Feb 16, 2021
don't know how it's in US, but the postage costs in Europe wasn't that good, now it's even worse.
I think importing stuff from UK (to here) is more expensive now, some sellers won't even ship here. I've had other European sellers (eg Germany) cancel my purchases in the last couple of years. A heap of Japanese sellers have done that too because Japan Post stopped doing air parcels to Australia and sellers wouldn't do surface mail, so the only postage options left were super expensive. Years back it was fairly easy to import stuff from Japan with free postage but now it's just painful :(

Make a donation