segasonicfan

Original poster
Registered
Jun 8, 2019
AGName
segasonicfan
AG Join Date
Sept 23, 2011
I can't imagine how rare this is, I hope someone here can purchase it and document all the coolness!!

neo geo dev.jpg

speedyink

Registered
May 31, 2019
That is so fucking tits. If only I had an extra 10 grand lying around

Edit: Just noticed the Neo Geo Pocket carts, clearly a dev system for the NGP/C!
Not sure how this would work...Nintendo built a screen into theirs, Sony made a detachable PSP 'controller'...this seem to do neither? I don't even see a way to hook up to a monitor.. Looks like there's a DC power out jack that plugs into presumably a dummy unit with display that must also plug in for video somewhere

x1z36x

Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AGName
Xzx123
AG Join Date
Mar 19, 2013
Have any of these shown up before, outside of these on Yahoo?

justz00t

Donator
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
May 16, 2019
Donations
£50.00
Douchebag just bought this from the original auction to mark it up thousands of dollars. It's a Neo Geo Pocket development kit. I bet it's the same person who bought the rest of the development stuff from those auctions including what appeared to be a MV1C with development bios of some kind.

Reactions: GiroNeko

GiroNeko

Registered
Jul 3, 2021
What a beautiful piece of equipment we have here. Welp, it is a shame it is so expensive, but nonetheless, very good find.

nitelich

Registered
Jun 14, 2021
On sale for $9k currently :ROFLMAO:.

Though, for Neo Geo stuff, some people would call that cheap. Sigh.

noxor

Jan 29, 2022
Seller accepted my offer of $3k which seemed reasonable. Waiting on it to ship/arrive. Looking forward to learning more about this piece of history and happy to document what I can to help the community here.

Reactions: ItsMeMario

mungo

Jan 30, 2022
Seller accepted my offer of $3k which seemed reasonable. Waiting on it to ship/arrive. Looking forward to learning more about this piece of history and happy to document what I can to help the community here.
Absolute madlad! I was really disappointed when I originally saw this kit relisted as there's so little information about it. Here's hoping there's info to glean from the kit without access to the associated software to run it.

ItsMeMario

Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AGName
ItsMeMario
AG Join Date
Feb 11, 2014
Congratulation :)

I never had a NeoGeo back then as a kid, as it was rare, expensive...and...simply not available. ^^

Over the years I learned a lot about it and Im eager to learn more about the past. :)

Digmac

OG Staff
Staff member
OG Staff
Community Contributor
Registered
Jan 23, 2020
AGName
Digmac
AG Join Date
August 19, 2013
Snip. Always read the whole thread. Lol

noxor

Jan 29, 2022
I did. I did a mini tear down just to get some clean pictures and start down the path of learning more about this device.

Pictures to follow. The main board looks to be programmable via FPGA. When I have a NGPC plugged in using the wideboy like adapter cartridge the FPGA error light goes out but other then that the NGPC does nothing to register it's connected. The board will supply power to the handheld - this is a retail NGPC - the unit didn't come with a head unit - not sure if one ever existed. The DC power to the NGP/C had a pot resistor so you can simulate different battery signals. It's inidcated on the pot 12 7 1 and when I turn the dial lower it set off various warnings for low battery on the handheld (so far I think this is intentional for testing)

Tried various console configurations with the serial to usb adapter to the 25 pin RS232 - on unit boot I get a single garbage character on 9600 8N1 but no other baud or config shows anything. (will do more experimenting here)

I tore the unit down and the top board you see in the ebay picture handles power to the secondary terminal below - there are 4 IDE-like connections going to the terminal box. Rom 1 upper, Rom 1 lower, Rob 2 upper, Rob 2 lower. The terminal box only has a reset button. There is a 2 wire connector from the top board to the terminal apart from the IDE -rom connectors. The other side has 25 pin RS232 and also a parallel port.

The terminal below the top board is EMUSE branded model MTV200 (google yielded nothing useful on this + model number)

Below the model number there is some Japanese which translated to Amata Co. LTD - which I have not found overly useful (yet)

Opening the bottom terminal box I found a PCB branded TESCO with what looks like a model number of XROMU 1-1 with rom chips labeled EMUSE v2.1 (even) EMUSE v2.1 (odd)

I will upload photos tomorrow but figured I would share what I learned so far.

Cheers!

** UPDATE ** Found a manual on internet archive here https://ia802901.us.archive.org/11/items/neopop_source/Emulation.PDF

Last edited:

Make a donation