Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

Need help with my Original Xbox debug kit

v3ck1n

Original poster
Registered
Mar 22, 2020
Hello everyone I am making my own thread because I have been mostly unsuccessful when attempting to interact with my debug kit from laptop. I'll give a few bullet points and add a couple images.

>bought the debug kit off ebay couple weeks ago
>had never been opened before, still has prototype game build on it
>SN is 6004666 24602, mfg 11/21/2002
>I opened it and removed the powerstor clock capacitor
20200325_002152.jpg

>I have Visual Creator Studio 2003.NET, Yelo Neighborhood, and ViridiX downloaded
>I have Windows XP running in a virtual machine
>How do I transfer those programs from Windows 10 on my laptop to my virtual machine??? Im losing my mind over this

When I run ViridiX the options that work are Dump TSOP and Download HDD Files. I have the prototype game build backed up on my laptop and I can easily burn an ISO of the debug kit HDD as it was downloaded.

I would like to use Yelo Neighborhood to transfer .xbe's directly to my HDD, for example Rebellious Bullet an unreleased game recently discovered on a debug kit.
I do not know how to run the Yelo Neighborhood as Im using Windows 10 and I dont see any executables in the program files. I don't know a lot about software or coding, I am much better with hardware rather than software. Any help in the future would be appreciated.
20200328_111436.jpg

Firstly, you shouldn't even turn it on as using it can corrupt any deleted data. A guide to dump the HDD is here: https://www.obscuregamers.com/threads/how-to-dump-og-xdk-hdd-via-network-viridix.1663/

This will give you a raw HDD dump which in turn means you can extract the data without damaging any remaining data that is deleted. The tool works on Windows 7/8/10 also.

Secondly, removing the clock cap was a good move.

The other tools aren't needed at this time as once you have the HDD dump you can use FATX-TOOLS by AeroSoul to recover the rest with correct dates etc including all XBE files.

Link to FATX-TOOLS https://www.obscuregamers.com/threads/fatx-tools.557/

Tdijital

Donator
Donator
Registered
Sep 18, 2019
Donations
£11.00
AGName
Tdijital
AG Join Date
Apr 3, 2016
It looks like you posted in that thread for dumping the HDD via Viridix. Were you able to get it to dump the HDD img? If so that's great and you should use FATX-TOOLS as Damien's instructions say. If not -- don't mess around on the Xbox until you get an img of the HDD. If you are still having trouble there are other ways to get an img of the HDD

Only once you have the img of your HDD start messing with transferring files to the HDD. I couldn't get Yelo neighborhood working on Windows 10. I installed the Xbox SDK on a VM running Windows XP. Then install the Xbox Neighborhood which is included in the Xbox SDK install. You can find the SDK here:

Once again only mess with this after getting an img of the HDD and look to see if you can recover any files. Last step, share what you find on OG :)

v3ck1n

Original poster
Registered
Mar 22, 2020
I have downloaded the files from the HDD. But it's not an image of the HDD. What happens when I click Image HDD is ViridiX freezes for a second and then goes back to functioning normally.

If I can install Windows 7 on a virtual machine (Im getting my install disc back tonight) then how do I install Yelo Neighborhood on my virtual machine? Do I have to download it from a web browser while using the virtual machine? Can I use a USB flash drive? I'm trying to figure this all out

Tdijital

Donator
Donator
Registered
Sep 18, 2019
Donations
£11.00
AGName
Tdijital
AG Join Date
Apr 3, 2016
If Viridix isn't working for you the other option is to hook the IDE HDD up to your computer. Others on here would know more about troubleshooting Viridix, it would be ideal if you could get that to work. I would try a wired connection if you haven't already. Viridix is by far the most simple way, if there's anything you can do to troubleshoot or anyone else can help you more I would go that route first

Here are the things you will need to do to dump your Xbox HDD without Viridix.
  1. Burn System Rescue Live CD and boot into it with the unlocked HDD connected
  2. Open the terminal
  3. Get a list of your drives fdisk -1
  4. Identify which one you want to save the Xbox HDD image to and also the device location of the Xbox HDD
  5. Create a mount location mkdir /mnt/local
  6. Mount the drive you want to save the img to ntfs-3g /dev/XXX /mnt/local Replace XXX with the device location of the drive you want to mount (your computer hdd or usb drive etc...)
  7. Make an img of the Xbox HDD ddrescue -BS <dev/xboxhdd> <mnt/local/image.img> <mnt/local/dump_log.log> replace <dev/xboxhdd> with your Xbox HDD device location and <mnt/local/image.img> with where you want to save the img and same with the log.
A lot of this is from memory and some notes. If anyone has any suggestions or things I got wrong please let me know.

Last edited:
Reactions: v3ck1n

v3ck1n

Original poster
Registered
Mar 22, 2020
Im trying to get ViridiX working fully. I have not done a lot with the debug kit besides scroll up and down on the xdk launcher to make sure it functioned properly. Have not booted any programs or apps with it. I believe if I can get W7 working on my laptop then it will work better. I have been using a direct ethernet connection between my debug kit and my laptop. It automatically finds and detects the IP address on the xbox but again when I try to run ViridiX on W10 with it, it hardly functions. I don't own a proper desktop or would have any good way to connect the hard drive to anything else, besides a laptop. -Jake

APE

Donator
Donator
May 30, 2019
I don't know anything about ViridiX but you can use Clonezilla to blind copy the HDD to an image that will let you extract the files just fine. They have a bootable version that I can help walk you through to get a proper image. Preferable to have the HDD inside of a regular computer but it should work peachy with a USB adapter as long as the HDD is unlocked.

XboxSurgeon

Donator
Donator
Registered
Jul 23, 2019
AGName
XboxSurgeon
AG Join Date
No Idea. Long time ago.
eBay Username
AnonymousMedic2012
You dont need to run Yelo in a VM. Just run it.

Make a donation