Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

NES Master ROM archives for NES and Famicom

noairhorns

Original poster
Jun 2, 2019
noairhorns.blogspot.com
First off, not asking for a link. That said, does anyone know how to use these files? I figured it would be a pretty normal process but so far none that I've attempted to load have run, and I've confirmed they are rom files. I'm particularly interested in digging through the Famicom files in search of the unreleased Donkey Kong Fun With Music rom. Thank you.

weldedale

Registered
Jun 1, 2019
AGName
weldedale
AG Join Date
May 4, 2010
You have to join the corresponding PRG and CHR rom files together and add a header to enable them to run via emulation.

weldedale

Registered
Jun 1, 2019
AGName
weldedale
AG Join Date
May 4, 2010
There are lots of way to do this, this is how I have been doing it.

Download FamiROM rom tool from here http://www.angelfire.com/retro/kingmercury/

Then you need to find the ROM file's you want to join, the last letter in the file name will be C for CHR (Character ROM) and P for PRG (Program Rom). Some will have multiple revisions these will be indicated by the second last digit being either a 0 or a 1 maybe even a 2.
The Rom files seem to be numbered in order of release, In the HVC folder the ROM's for Donkey Kong are saved as file type 001, Donkey Kong was the first Famicom game.

Nes Roms.png

After you have decide what ROM files you would like to join together open FamiROM, and select editor in the top right hand corner.
fami.png

Then add the ROM files to their respective area's. you can change the mappers and what not from here, I'm not going to explain this stuff as its a topic all of its own and there is already lots of good info on this out there already. Such as this

Untitled.png

Click Save as and it will create a .nes file ready to go.

Make a donation