la-li-lu-le-lo

Original poster
Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
I thought I'd post some pictures of my collection that I'd previously posted on ASSEMbler. I'll post a picture of my PC setup soon, and other stuff soon after that.

My main gaming and AV setup.

IMG_8975.jpg

My main collection shelf.

IMG_9180.jpg

My secondary collection shelf, with newer games and some older PC games.

IMG_9525.jpg

Some of my loose carts.

IMG_9680.jpg

I got a Sonic Adventure 2 Battle poster the other day, and I have a Ranma ½ PC Engine game coming in the mail. I'll be posting images of those and other things.

Last edited:

la-li-lu-le-lo

Original poster
Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
beautiful katamari? looks like someone has a good taste ?

Thanks. Yeah, I like that game. I have almost all of the console Katamari games. The ones I don't have are the handheld and mobile ones and Reroll.

Reactions: VonKarma12

la-li-lu-le-lo

Original poster
Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
As promised here are some more pictures.

Here's a picture of my PC setup.

IMG_9967.jpg

The PC I built is getting kind of old. Here are its specs:

i7-3770K 3.5GHz
16GB 1600MHz DDR3
GTX 980 Ti
128GB SSD
240GB SSD
1TB HDD

Also on this desk you'll see my MacBook Pro (Late-2013 Retina MBP), an ASUS 27" 1440p monitor, Bose Companion 5 speakers, as well as my Yamaha HPH-MT5 studio monitor headphones.

Here's a picture of the Sonic Adventure 2 Battle poster I got the other day. It's on the wall above my PC.

IMG_0005.jpg

I'll be posting more pictures, probably some time later this week.

Last edited:
Reactions: sammyrms1

la-li-lu-le-lo

Original poster
Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
Here are some more pictures. I've downscaled them somewhat so they'll load faster.

Here's a better picture of my Xbox 360 store sign that you can see in my previous picture.

IMG_0164.jpg

From what I've read, this sign was used in stores to promote the launch of the 360. I've been thinking about replacing the LEDs with newer ones, since the original ones have gotten a bit dim, and I think one or two of them might be out. As you can probably tell, it's not in perfect condition, but I still really like it.

Here's a picture of all of my Wind Waker items, a couple of which I got fairly recently.

IMG_0266a.jpg

The GC copy is a Not for Resale copy that was originally included in a system bundle. I don't have the complete bundle though, just the game. If they ever release a Switch version of this game, I'll probably get that too, once I get a Switch.

Here are some of my recent gaming purchases.

IMG_0304a.jpg

The Ranma game (Ranma ½: Datou, Ganso Musabetsu Kakutou-ryuu!) is my very first PC Engine CD game. I've owned a working PC Engine CD-ROM2 for quite a while and I own a few HuCard games, but I'd only played CD-Rs on the CD-ROM2, until now. I've played the game a little, and I like it. The cutscenes are the game's best feature I think; it makes the game seem like a digital version of the anime. The gameplay can be a little frustrating at times, though. Overall, not a bad game I think, though I haven't finished it yet.

Reactions: EvanSki

Opa-Opa

Registered
Jun 21, 2019
Haha, that charming little PC-Engine CD :giggle: Own it too with an LT plugged in?

Those two Hi-Fi units? Also that Sony, perfect.

Last edited:

la-li-lu-le-lo

Original poster
Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
So, previously Opa-Opa and I had a long, fairly OT conversation in this thread. I want to make this thread primarily about my collection, so I asked Damien to move those posts to another thread. From now on, try to keep comments related to my collection and photos. If you want to have a more off-topic sort of discussion, post it here instead: https://www.obscuregamers.com/threads/la-li-lu-le-lo-and-opa-opa’s-game-rant-thread.784/

Here are a few things I got recently.

IMG_1345a.jpg

A Kuro VGA box, and Power Stone and Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (both Japanese) for Dreamcast. I had an issue with the Kuro when I first got it, but that's been sorted out now. I'm pretty happy with it overall; the picture quality is noticeably better than my previous VGA adapter, which was already very good. I've been playing Power Stone and MvC2 and enjoying them a lot, even though I've played them quite a bit in the past.

Here's a picture of what the Kuro looks like when the system is powered on:

IMG_1334a.jpg

I resized some of my previous pictures to make the thread load faster. Images seem to load extremely slow on this site for some reason, and I don't think it's my internet connection that's causing that.

Last edited:

Yakumo

Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Yakumo
AG Join Date
From the beginning (whenever that was)
It's nice to see the Wondermega still getting use. Mine may be going away to save space once I have the Mega SD cart. To be honest I never use my Wondermega much due to the best video option being S-Video.

Reactions: supersega

la-li-lu-le-lo

Original poster
Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
It's nice to see the Wondermega still getting use. Mine may be going away to save space once I have the Mega SD cart. To be honest I never use my Wondermega much due to the best video option being S-Video.

I don’t use mine much either, for the same reason; it’s not even connected to anything currently. I keep it on my shelf because I like to be able to see it. I take good care of it and I clean dust off of it regularly, as I do with all of my systems. I can play Mega Drive games on my Genesis with a Game Genie. My Wondermega is my only system that can play retail Mega CD games, though.

Reactions: Yakumo

la-li-lu-le-lo

Original poster
Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
I got this Sony Vaio from a local computer store a few days ago. It's in really good shape. My plan is for it to replace my other P4 system as my Win 98/Me gaming PC.

HNVjhBq.jpg

Yakumo

Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Yakumo
AG Join Date
From the beginning (whenever that was)
Thwtbw
I don’t use mine much either, for the same reason; it’s not even connected to anything currently. I keep it on my shelf because I like to be able to see it. I take good care of it and I clean dust off of it regularly, as I do with all of my systems. I can play Mega Drive games on my Genesis with a Game Genie. My Wondermega is my only system that can play retail Mega CD games, though.
That will soon change for me once the Mega SD arrives. From then the beautiful Man ondermega will be off to the dark loft with the Hitachi Hi-Saturn.

Arcadia

Donator
Donator
Community Contributor
May 30, 2019
Donations
£8.55
AGName
Arcadia
I got this Sony Vaio from a local computer store a few days ago. It's in really good shape. My plan is for it to replace my other P4 system as my Win 98/Me gaming PC.

HNVjhBq.jpg

That's a beautiful machine, I had one back in the day.

la-li-lu-le-lo

Original poster
Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
That's a beautiful machine, I had one back in the day.

Yeah, I've always had an interest in Vaios, mainly because of how cool they look. I was actually looking for a PIII-based system, but I couldn't find one, but then I saw this system and decided I needed to have it.

A weird thing about this system: it's actually slightly smaller than a standard ATX case, but it's really heavy for its size. I think it must be the case and the optical drives that make it so heavy.

la-li-lu-le-lo

Original poster
Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
Here are some of my recent game purchases.

IMG_1823.jpg

The Logitech F310 controller is for the Sony Vaio PC seen above. I tried it - it works, and it's a pretty nice controller. Super Mario 3D Land was on sale.

la-li-lu-le-lo

Original poster
Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
Great Collection!:)

Thanks!

An interesting fact I realized the other day: I now have more boxed Dreamcast games than I have games for any other console - 68 total. I may have more PC games than that, it's hard to say because they aren't well-organized currently. I think the second-largest collection would be the N64, which is around 60-something.

Last edited:

la-li-lu-le-lo

Original poster
Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
So, uh... I got this little thing. And what I mean by that is, a 29" professional monitor. I won't go into it, but it took a lot of effort to obtain this monitor. I've been looking for a monitor like this for a long time. Specifically, I was looking for an NEC XM29. However, I found this monitor - the NEC XV29 Plus - which I had never heard of before, but it turns out it's pretty much the same in terms of specs to the XM29 Plus. It has some minor differences, but its functionality is pretty much the same as the XM29/XM29 Plus. I've actually had it for about a week and a half, but I've just gotten around to taking some pictures of it. I plan on making a video of it at some point, too.

Here are some pictures.

xPRdco7.jpg

xUP6f20.jpg

Ky9tkTP.jpg

SQDR0bB.jpg

Some more information about the XV29. It's a 29" CRT presentation monitor. It uses an invar mask. It has 2 VGA/RGB inputs, S-Video, and composite inputs. It accepts NTSC, PAL, and SECAM signals. The only RGB inputs are VGA, however that doesn't matter - because it supports RGBS over VGA. That means you can easily - as I already have - build a simple SCART to VGA adapter for it. I made a prototype of this adapter, and I plan to make a better one later, when I get some additional parts. This monitor supports: RGB in 15kHz (240p/480i) and 31kHz (VGA/480p) up to XGA (1024 x 768). For RGB, it supports separate sync, composite sync, and sync on green. The only kind of sync it apparently (as far as I can tell) doesn't support is composite video as sync. For that reason, the next version of my SCART to VGA adapter will have a built-in sync stripper. This monitor doesn't have component inputs, but I already have a component to VGA converter, and I'm getting an even better one of those soon.

This monitor is basically the ultimate CRT for retro gaming. Once I have everything working, it'll be able to play virtually any console as well as some arcade systems that output RGB, VGA, or component. One thing that's better about this monitor compared to my previous setup is that it combines all of the functions of my 2 previous monitors, so I only need one CRT now. One benefit of that is that, for systems that change between 15 and 31kHz, the monitor automatically switches - so it always displays whatever the system is outputting. That also means that devices that output RGB over VGA, like the Kuro and component to VGA converters, can even output 15kHz over VGA - which is something most monitors won't accept. With my DC, I previously had to use my other monitor and connect a SCART cable if I wanted 15kHz, but now I can just flip a switch on the Kuro, and that's it. With component to VGA converters, it's just automatic - I don't have to do anything. I could go on and on about how awesome this thing is, but you get the idea. The image quality is also very good, as you'd expect. The main reason I got it was because I wanted a larger monitor that can handle anything, and that's exactly what this monitor does. There's only one thing this monitor can't do, which is 24kHz RGB. This is a resolution that some arcade systems and older computers used, and sadly the XV29 doesn't support it. I kind of assumed that before I bought it though, so it's not a big deal.

I have more work to do to get everything working, but most of my systems are already working on it. So far I haven't been able to get my MVS working on it, I'm still trying to figure out why that is. A couple other systems require new cables/parts, which are already on the way.

Another interesting thing about the monitor: the person I got it from said he got it from an electronics store, and the previous owner said it was originally used on the New York stock market, presumably displaying stocks. That makes sense, considering this monitor can very easily be connected to a PC, and it can display high resolutions (for the time), so you could fit lots of information on the screen and easily read it because of how big it is.

I've also had to rearrange my setup to make room for this, and that process isn't finished yet. I'll share some pictures of the full setup once it's complete again. The end result will be much better, because I actually have more space now since I only need one CRT instead of two.

Here are some games I got recently.

8WOrhGM.jpg

Atomic Robo-Kid for Genesis, Sega Rally 2 for PC, Bloodborne for PS4, and Dragon Ball Z Ultimate Battle 22 for PS1. I got a pretty good deal on Sega Rally 2, and I really like that game. I got the DBZ game mainly because it was cheap and I thought it looked interesting. Atomic Robo-Kid is one I've been looking for for a while, and I traded some things for it.

Reactions: Shiva

la-li-lu-le-lo

Original poster
Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
So, I have some things to share related to my XV29. I made a new SCART to VGA adapter. I've made this one to a much higher standard of quality (the previous one was only meant to be temporary), and it also has a built-in sync stripper. This is probably the most difficult soldering job I've ever done. For someone who's experienced at this sort of thing, it'd be very easy, but for me it was a bit of a challenge. Nonetheless, the end result is pretty good.

Here's a picture of the sync stripper. It's a pre-made board I got from retrogamingcables.

lPQOwRh.jpg

Here's what the SCART side of the adapter looked like immediately after I finished soldering it.

UNyT0m5.jpg

Here's the finished cable/adapter.

bIewMfF.jpg

These pictures were all taken a few days ago when I originally built the cable. Yesterday I made a slight improvement: I added a little piece of transparent plastic to the sync stripper, to keep it in place and prevent the leads from touching anything else. I wanted it to be transparent so it'll be easier to diagnose any problems I may encounter with it in the future. When I did this, I also somehow solved an issue with the image that the adapter originally had; I don't know exactly what caused it, but whatever I did seemed to fix it.

I now have all of my consoles working with the XV29. Because I have the sync stripper, the 3 remaining consoles that previously didn't work are now working - my PS1, PS2, and PC Engine. I still haven't been able to get my MVS to work, but I have some ideas about how to deal with that. I may need to get some new cables in order to be able to get all of my systems to work with the new adapter - for right now, a few of them have to be connected to the old adapter. Overall, this setup is working very well. Now, besides the MVS, there's only one thing left that this setup needs, which is a Garo. They couldn't deliver it today because nobody was able to sign for it, so I'm going to pick it up from the post office tomorrow.

Something strange I've encountered with the PS2: I can get 480p to work with the XV29, but only one game I've tried actually displays it properly. With Tekken 4 in particular, when the output switches to 480p, the XV29 automatically switches to SoG and it works instantly. Pretty cool. However, with all of the other games I've tried, it doesn't automatically switch - and instead I get a green-tinted image. I think there may be a way to fix this, but I haven't been able to get it working so far. At any rate, Tekken 4 looks really good in RGsB at 480p, so I'm looking forward to seeing what other games look like.

Another thing about the PS2: I've heard that it's possible to play GunCon 2 games in 480p, but I haven't been able to get that to work. At the calibration screen, if I shoot at the screen and then point away from the screen with the GC2 and then press the trigger + select button, a message appears on screen that says "progressive enabled" or something like that. I can also get the 2-point calibration to work. However, for some reason it doesn't switch the output to 480p. I don't know why.

Yesterday I was going through my controllers, reorganizing them, and I decided it would be a good time to take a picture I've been meaning to take for a while. Since I've been messing around with my PS1 and PS2 a lot the past few days, that made it seem even more appropriate. Here are most of my PlayStation controllers.

Qr6kBrh.jpg

There are a couple I didn't include because they aren't interesting, and I didn't include my analog joystick controller because I didn't feel like taking it out of the box. You can see the box in the second photo of the OP of this thread.

I'll be posting more stuff here soon.

Reactions: VonKarma12

la-li-lu-le-lo

Original poster
Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
A small update on my setup. I figured out the problem with my PS2; for some reason the no. 2 dipswitch on the back of the monitor has to be switched off for most 480p PS2 games to work. I'm not sure why that is - the manual says no. 2 controls the remote - but now the PS2 seems to be working perfectly. I also got my Garo last week, and I'm pretty happy with that. I figured out a place to put my PS3 and 360, I just need to hook them up now. Besides that, I also got some cable concealer things, so that'll make my setup look neater. I also figured out that I can probably modify my SCART cables that don't currently work with the new adapter so that they will work, though I need to do some more testing to verify this. I also want to make a slight change to my adapter; I've realized that it has some slight noise, and I think using a higher quality cable for the sync input on the sync stripper will probably solve this. So, I still have a few things to do, but my setup is almost complete now. Almost everything is already basically working, I'm just making improvements at this point.

I've gotten some new game stuff too. I'll be posting a picture of that soon.

la-li-lu-le-lo

Original poster
Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
It's been a while since I've posted anything, huh? Here are some things I've gotten recently.

kfZxfSv.jpg

This is the V2 model of the Switch, which supposedly has better battery life compared to the first model. I can't really say much about the battery life, since I've been mostly using it in docked mode. I'm really enjoying it so far.

Here are some games and stuff I've gotten recently.

mgR6UBU.jpg

I got Microsoft Flight Simulator 98 from a thrift store. It's complete, and it's basically like new. The Xbox and SFC controllers are in really good condition. The Switch Pro controller is new.

Since I got Smash Bros. Ultimate, I now have a complete set of all the console Smash Bros. games, US versions only. That doesn't include demos, but as far as I know there were never any US demos. The only US Smash Bros. game I now lack is Smash Bros. for 3DS.

Here are all of my Smash Bros. games.

CGJLFQc.jpg

They all have cases except for Smash Bros. for N64. Melee and Brawl have the original manuals - Wii U doesn't, and Ultimate doesn't come with one.

My setup is still evolving, but here's what my HD (360 and newer) console setup looks like currently.

xTtsoF0.jpg

The black box in the back has an HDMI switch inside.

I've been having some fairly major problems with the XV29, but it's still somewhat usable. I'm working on possible solutions and other tests that can be done.

Last edited:

Make a donation