Registered
Jun 7, 2019
Donations
£543.68
AGName
MSX
AG Join Date
Dec 7, 2011
A look inside the cartridge. It has a 6GB Toshiba IDE drive to store up to 4 games. In the corners you can see 2 little capsules with black and white liquid. If you were to drop the cartridge hard, a divider inside the capsules would break which would cause the liquids to mix. Nintendo would then know to void your warranty.

CDN Archive incase imgur ever goes down:
1muJyqs8.jpg2Ou7WDLq.jpg3EGGhueZ.jpg4ZWd3NgT.jpg5TNHAsUX.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Synnett

Registered
Jun 12, 2019
AGName
Synnett
AG Join Date
July 18, 2016
Can you get better pictures of those vials? Such a crazy way to set a warranty void

MSX

Is secretly 32-bit
Original poster
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 7, 2019
Donations
£543.68
AGName
MSX
AG Join Date
Dec 7, 2011
Thanks for the teardown!

Is there anyway for these to be dumped without destroying them?
It should be possible, but it requires taking apart a NPDP reader. I tried it before, but Cleanrip just throws an error because the HDD is locked. I contacted emu_kidid (who made Swiss and Cleanrip and has done it), and said a special version of Cleanrip would have to be used that performs the unlock command. He stopped responding after that.

Reactions: Deleted member 168

kabojnk

Insert Title Here
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Feb 3, 2019
Donations
£126.57
Only way I have heard of dumping NPDPs is to hot swap a NPDP reader drive (from red NPDP reader dev unit) into a modded GC and dump that way. Unfortunately as MSX stated, HDDs are locked so cannot simply remove and dump.

Reactions: Deleted member 168

emu_kidid

Jul 24, 2019
AGName
emu_kidid
AG Join Date
Jun 28, 2008
I need to get back on this, it's totally possible, I've done it before. I'll re-create my setup again, there were 2 ways I'd done it:

Option 1: Unlock the drive using a IDE adaptor and dump it in a PC. You can then decrypt it very easily because of the constant 32-bit XOR and the many known 0x00000000 areas on a standard GCM file.
Option 2: Swap the NPDP GameCube top half onto a modded GameCube that can boot from a IPL replacement (the drive doesn't need to be hotswapped at all and I wouldn't recommend this!) and use a modded version of CleanRip that I need to dig up/re-create.

MSX

Is secretly 32-bit
Original poster
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 7, 2019
Donations
£543.68
AGName
MSX
AG Join Date
Dec 7, 2011
I need to get back on this, it's totally possible, I've done it before. I'll re-create my setup again, there were 2 ways I'd done it:

Option 1: Unlock the drive using a IDE adaptor and dump it in a PC. You can then decrypt it very easily because of the constant 32-bit XOR and the many known 0x00000000 areas on a standard GCM file.
Option 2: Swap the NPDP GameCube top half onto a modded GameCube that can boot from a IPL replacement (the drive doesn't need to be hotswapped at all and I wouldn't recommend this!) and use a modded version of CleanRip that I need to dig up/re-create.

Hi! I got a new IDE to SATA adapter thinking it might be the add-in card I tired last time giving me errors, but unfortunately I'm still getting the same issue with it as before with hdparm (pictured below). I tried on 2 different PCs.

I also have a NPDP Reader and a modded retail cube with a Viper GC extreme (IPL replacement). So if you find your modified version of CleanRip, that would work too.

Attachments

• IMG_20191017_151618.jpg
    IMG_20191017_151618.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

kennypecheur

Donator
Donator
Registered
Aug 16, 2019
Donations
£5.00
AGName
kennypecheur
AG Join Date
19/05/2014

Hi Everyone,

Any news about this modded version of Cleanrip ? Still have some NPDP carts I would like to dump, as I don't want to lost the datas on them.

Thank you :)

MSX

Is secretly 32-bit
Original poster
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 7, 2019
Donations
£543.68
AGName
MSX
AG Join Date
Dec 7, 2011
Hi Everyone,

Any news about this modded version of Cleanrip ? Still have some NPDP carts I would like to dump, as I don't want to lost the datas on them.

Thank you :)
Yes there has. Emu_kidid was gracious enough to give me the modified version of Swiss that is needed to unlock the cart. I'll message you

Reactions: kennypecheur

Make a donation