Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AGName
wheelaa
AG Join Date
12 April 2005
Naff all to say really.

Um...

There are very few pics of this out there, boxed or otherwise, so here's a few.

Um...

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg11.jpg12.jpg13.jpg14.jpg15.jpg16.jpg17.jpg

Trimesh

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Trimesh
AG Join Date
Jul 4, 2008
That really looks like it was never used - and since the Japanese analog TV system was turned off in 2012 I guess it will never be used!

wheelaa

Marty fan
Original poster
Donator
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AGName
wheelaa
AG Join Date
12 April 2005
I suspect it never was. The reg sheet isn't even stamped...but I'm yet to see detailed pics of any other boxed one so I can't say for sure if any were ever stamped.

I always meant to test it out in the UK, as, knowing nothing about TV signals, I assumed it might pick up the UK analogue signal...it has an aerial right lol! I was even aware of when the UK was switching off, but laziness won out.

Trimesh

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Trimesh
AG Join Date
Jul 4, 2008
I suspect it never was. The reg sheet isn't even stamped...but I'm yet to see detailed pics of any other boxed one so I can't say for sure if any were ever stamped.

I always meant to test it out in the UK, as, knowing nothing about TV signals, I assumed it might pick up the UK analogue signal...it has an aerial right lol! I was even aware of when the UK was switching off, but laziness won out.

Normally those registration cards were filled in by the shop. There was a little bit of overlap between the UK and Japanese UHF TV bands, but the transmission standards were incompatible - Japan used EIA frame rates and NTSC color encoding with the standard 4.5MHz sound carrier offset The UK used CCIR (50Hz) frame rates with PAL color encoding and a 6.0MHz sound offset.

If my Japanese Game Gear tuner was a guide, you could either get sound but no picture or a rolling monochome image with no sound.

Still you could argue that being entirely useless on a practical level just adds to it's attraction as an artifact!

Reactions: wheelaa

dyer60

Donator
Donator
Registered
Jun 17, 2019
AGName
dyer60
AG Join Date
Jan 13, 2013
Ooh, very nice.

Great to see one of these, I suspect it probably is new. I guess they probably sold less of these than they did Navi screens!

Thanks for sharing, always knew you had some special stuff!

Make a donation