BetaGuy64

Original poster
Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
BetaGuy64
AG Join Date
July 19th, 2014
It doesn't really seem all that long ago that video games were actually video games and you bought them to play them. Garage sales were cool ways to pick up stuff you didn't have. Now it seems like everyone's turning a blind eye to anything retro gaming turning into a commodity, or a rarity, or god forbid, an investment.
For instance, I just paid about $50 a pop for the Oracle games on the GBC. The Oracle games sold around 8 million copies total. Worldwide. It's also not too uncommon to see a scratched up copy of Pokemon with "KYLE" written over the turn-off label for anywhere from $40-60.
In the grand scheme of things, is $50 all that much for a game I'm going to play and enjoy thoroughly? No. But it's the fact that it all stems from this stupid "collector" attitude fueled by Reddit and e-celeb garbage. Collecting isn't all that fun anymore. It's been taken over by artificial inflation and speculation. It sucks. Rant over, lol. Hopefully someone gets me.

deadlegion

Registered
Feb 16, 2021
Bargains can still be had, but imo it's heaps more work to get those nice deals compared to 20 or even 10 years ago.
Really sad. But that's what people (in general) are like. Always looking for a quick buck even in areas that don't interest them.

mementomori

proto person
A9L Staff
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Jan 20, 2019
Donations
£7.46
AG Join Date
Jan 22, 2017
I miss when older games would be seen as cheap because of whatever newer console would take the reigns of relevancy. Nowadays everything's an "ULTRA RARE HOLY GRAIL" item and you can think organizations like WATA and certain YouTubers for jacking up the price unnecessarily.

GameCube games are extremely overpriced now for instance and it's really a shame. 10 or so years ago you could find most of them for next to nothing.

And now from what I see the PlayStation 3 library is starting to suffer from this too, high-selling exclusives and HD collections are now getting premium markups, like what the
fuck is THAT all about?? I get that the PlayStation Store was about to shut down, but is that really a valid reason to jack up the price back to MSRP or even double that?? I even saw a copy of the Sly Cooper collection (the US one to avoid confusion) with damaged to hell boxart that was being sold for around $50???? Are you fucking kidding me?

Yeah, the current retro game market can go fuck itself. Sadly it may just be like this for the foreseeable future unless the right people can take matters into their own hands.

Rant over on my end, I'm tired of this

Edward_2452

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 29, 2019
AGName
james2452
A few years back was a good time to collect them but now they have all gone up in price like everything has.
When they was cheap i got Xbox 360 devkits with sidecar and power supply for £45 each and PS3 devkit for £65 with 6 preview games.

I remember when the Retail PS3 came out and people bought them to sell on for more profit. I got a xbox 360 instead , i loved my PS2 and wanted a PS3. :confused: Luckly i got into Xbox and never looked back sorry Sony.

deadlegion

Registered
Feb 16, 2021
It isn't just old retro games though...

Cyberpunk 2077 (PS4) promo - I've seen listed for $200aud or more, this is just discs only. Not even graded in a coffin.

Project Zero Maiden of Black Water LE (Wii U) - complete boxed, unusual to see it under $200aud right now, in fact I think a couple of sellers on ebay have it listed for around $500aud o_O

Reactions: Edward_2452

ChangeOfCoast

Registered
Aug 3, 2021
I definitely agree, just browsing eBay and see some stupid prices for some preview builds of PS3 and Xbox 360 games, I remember before it was much cheaper but now it just feels like people are trying to get as much money for these as possible. I've seen some go up to 500$ that's way too much

Reactions: Edward_2452

Zemn

May 16, 2021
I used to be bummed that I didn't have the space in the past to store a collection. But now I'm glad I never bothered, collecting just isn't what it used to be sadly.

Antviau

Registered
May 17, 2020
AGName
Antviau
It doesn't really seem all that long ago that video games were actually video games and you bought them to play them. Garage sales were cool ways to pick up stuff you didn't have. Now it seems like everyone's turning a blind eye to anything retro gaming turning into a commodity, or a rarity, or god forbid, an investment.
For instance, I just paid about $50 a pop for the Oracle games on the GBC. The Oracle games sold around 8 million copies total. Worldwide. It's also not too uncommon to see a scratched up copy of Pokemon with "KYLE" written over the turn-off label for anywhere from $40-60.
In the grand scheme of things, is $50 all that much for a game I'm going to play and enjoy thoroughly? No. But it's the fact that it all stems from this stupid "collector" attitude fueled by Reddit and e-celeb garbage. Collecting isn't all that fun anymore. It's been taken over by artificial inflation and speculation. It sucks. Rant over, lol. Hopefully someone gets me.

Man, I couldn't agree more, the last time I made a good deal at a yard sale was so long ago I can't even remember it right. I remember buying N64s in pawn shops for 10€ with all the cables and 20€ with an additional game, my dad used to be glad I liked retro gaming as it was so cheap back then! It's crazy how money has truly corrupted what used to be a fun hobby.

Moondog

Registered
Jun 12, 2019
AGName
Moondog
AG Join Date
Nov 21, 2010
There's been talk of the bubble bursting for a long time now. Still waiting, lol.

A. Snow

Jun 2, 2019
AGName
A. Snow
AG Join Date
2000 or so
It's everything and more for me. I'm finding it harder and harder to just enjoy playing games. Once upon a time you bought (or rented) a game, enjoyed it and moved on. Now you buy a half finished game, beat it, and wait 6 months to a year for them to fix the bugs and pay for the DLC that should have been in the game to begin with. That or you spend so much time grinding you cant enjoy the game. Its just become tiresome to me.

Reactions: n99k3d

n99k3d

Weird Stuff Collector
Registered
Jun 27, 2019
Oh well and meanwhile i cant even legally sell "Twisted Metal Black Promo DVD" in Germany because of the Stupid JuSchG and it missing a USK Classification and it being on Index B - which in turn means that its even illegal for me to possess it. Pricewise the Market is fucked.

I've seen Turok N64 Demo (EUR) being sold for Astronomical Prices , see for yourself.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221212-080525_Opera.jpg
    Screenshot_20221212-080525_Opera.jpg
    360.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20221212-080510_Opera.jpg
    Screenshot_20221212-080510_Opera.jpg
    357.6 KB · Views: 0

Make a donation