Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

FM TOWNS 20F PSU

cyo

Original poster
May 8, 2020
Hey fellas.

I have an FM Towns 20F I bought to restore. It had the power cable cut. So seeing this in the auction I bought a cap kit for the PSU and an extra cable.
It arrived. It was corroded with one specific cap that leaked everywhere. Recapped and cleaned it all up and soldered new cable. Turned on and worked for about a month.
Now when I turn it on it will make a loud hissing noise for about 15-20 seconds before shutting off. So this scares me!
I was going to start replacing ICs on the PSU starting with IC51. I'm also looking for replacement transistors for the PSU at this time.

Has anyone else had to totally overhaul a TDK PSU in a towns? I'm hoping to find others that might have had to do something similar.

Tokimemofan

Registered
May 30, 2019
Hey fellas.

I have an FM Towns 20F I bought to restore. It had the power cable cut. So seeing this in the auction I bought a cap kit for the PSU and an extra cable.
It arrived. It was corroded with one specific cap that leaked everywhere. Recapped and cleaned it all up and soldered new cable. Turned on and worked for about a month.
Now when I turn it on it will make a loud hissing noise for about 15-20 seconds before shutting off. So this scares me!
I was going to start replacing ICs on the PSU starting with IC51. I'm also looking for replacement transistors for the PSU at this time.

Has anyone else had to totally overhaul a TDK PSU in a towns? I'm hoping to find others that might have had to do something similar.
I would check any mosfets for shorts, they often hiss if they go bad and look for burn marks or discoloration. Also try turning it on in the dark and look into any vents, if there is any arcing or corona discharge it should be visible

Make a donation