Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

Dreamcast [DEV] Dreamcast BBA Converter !

Xrider

Original poster
Registered
Apr 19, 2020
AGName
Xrider
AG Join Date
19/05/2020
Any way to reduce the shipping to Canada? With it plus the import fees, that'll end up more than doubling the price...

Hi,

Try this on ebay :

"Bundle delivery costs on eBay
If a member purchases multiple items from you and isn't already receiving a discount on shipping, they can select Request Seller Total from their cart. You can then send him an invoice with the new group charges."

For the canada you can save 2euros on shipping cost, no more. Sorry

neo

Feb 1, 2019
AGName
Mrneo240
AG Join Date
06/08/2010

darcagn

Registered
May 30, 2019
dcemulation.org
AGName
darcagn
AG Join Date
May 12, 2007
I don't understand what's going on with the shipping costs. It's 2 PCBs, a ribbon cable, and a connector. Why is it double shipping (practically speaking) to add in another into the same package?
I don't mind the price of the product, but by the time you add the shipping, it's way more expensive to get the PCBs than the Atomiswave carts. It was $80USD total for four Atomiswave carts shipped from China including the costs of the carts themselves and now it's $53USD only for the shipping costs just to ship a few PCBs. There's gotta be a better way to do this? Surely a package with 4 of these can be shipped for less than $53 and that's after the discount?

Last edited:
Reactions: Anthony817

Anthony817

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
Not to mention, the PCB's don't have any custom chips on them, it is literally just PCB's and traces. Also, eBay fees cuts into the price heavily.

I shipped 4 Disc game jewle cases with games included to UK and Germany before a few years back and it was around the same price for shipping that is advertised in the eBay page. I shipped from Texas. I would think it would be cheaper for this, especially if bundling them together.

Xrider

Original poster
Registered
Apr 19, 2020
AGName
Xrider
AG Join Date
19/05/2020
I don't understand what's going on with the shipping costs. It's 2 PCBs, a ribbon cable, and a connector. Why is it double shipping (practically speaking) to add in another into the same package?
I don't mind the price of the product, but by the time you add the shipping, it's way more expensive to get the PCBs than the Atomiswave carts. It was $80USD total for four Atomiswave carts shipped from China including the costs of the carts themselves and now it's $53USD only for the shipping costs just to ship a few PCBs. There's gotta be a better way to do this? Surely a package with 4 of these can be shipped for less than $53 and that's after the discount?
Not to mention, the PCB's don't have any custom chips on them, it is literally just PCB's and traces. Also, eBay fees cuts into the price heavily.

I shipped 4 Disc game jewle cases with games included to UK and Germany before a few years back and it was around the same price for shipping that is advertised in the eBay page. I shipped from Texas. I would think it would be cheaper for this, especially if bundling them together.
Ofcourse, you have right.

for buy more than one, you must do this on ebay :

"Bundle delivery costs on eBay
If a member purchases multiple items from you and isn't already receiving a discount on shipping, they can select Request Seller Total from their cart. You can then send him an invoice with the new group charges."

i will change the shipping cost ;-)

example :
For 1 to France : 7 euros
For 1 to international export : 12 euros
For 2 to international export : 13,50euros

Thanks for this, i will add this on description on Ebay ;-)

Reactions: Anthony817

RazorX

Registered
Aug 25, 2019
Hello,

The kit BBA Converter DIY is now available on ebay :
thanks i just ordered one, have you did any sort of speed test to see the speed difference between a stock bba and this?
i have a bba and i'm curious if both are identical in speed or if one has a slight advantage over the other.

RazorX

Registered
Aug 25, 2019
anyone know exactly what the atomiswave communication socket part is on the atomiswave motherboard? it would be interesting if we could source them somewhere and make a plug and play solution.

Xrider

Original poster
Registered
Apr 19, 2020
AGName
Xrider
AG Join Date
19/05/2020
thanks i just ordered one, have you did any sort of speed test to see the speed difference between a stock bba and this?
i have a bba and i'm curious if both are identical in speed or if one has a slight advantage over the other.
Thanks for your order
It's exactly the same, no difference ;-)
It's the same hardware from Sega

Attachments

• IMG_5938.JPG
    IMG_5938.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

NightBreeze

Registered
Aug 1, 2019
I received my SAMMY cartridge and it looks like it's high enough that I want to rethink the design a bit, and also take into account the relatively short ribbon cable.

I'm currently considering a mashup between the two designs (side and behind) I've posted earlier. This would re-use the existing modem case and the 3D printed SAMMY case would sit beside it, possibly attaching via the modem LINE hole. Anyway, going to do some measurements and print a few prototypes to see if it's legible.

And thanks for posting those pics @RazorX, helps to see the it set up like that, gave me the idea for the new approach.

PS. If you're interested in the 3D printed case, don't throw away anything. I'm thinking of re-using the screws and shielding.

Last edited:

RazorX

Registered
Aug 25, 2019
I received my SAMMY cartridge and it looks like it's high enough that I want to rethink the design a bit, and also take into account the relatively short ribbon cable.

I'm currently considering a mashup between the two designs (side and behind) I've posted earlier. This would re-use the existing modem case and the 3D printed SAMMY case would sit beside it, possibly attaching via the modem LINE hole. Anyway, going to do some measurements and print a few prototypes to see if it's legible.

And thanks for posting those pics @RazorX, helps to see the it set up like that, gave me the idea for the new approach.

PS. If you're interested in the 3D printed case, don't throw away anything. I'm thinking of re-using the screws and shielding.
no problem :) and i would definitely be interested although i live in the UK so it would of course depend on the total price for me.

Xrider

Original poster
Registered
Apr 19, 2020
AGName
Xrider
AG Join Date
19/05/2020
Sold out. New batch coming in 3 weeks ;)

darcagn

Registered
May 30, 2019
dcemulation.org
AGName
darcagn
AG Join Date
May 12, 2007
Why can't someone just clone the original BBA? Patents are long expired now.
It's certainly technically possible. Someone would have to reverse engineer and clone the Sega proprietary G2 <-> PCI bus chip on an FPGA.
Said person could then just use an off-the-shelf Realtek 8139C chip to build a BBA (or clone that part too in FPGA...).

The problem with that is most people would prefer to have a modem based setup, as that's more compatible with games.
It would require time and effort to clone the BBA, and any resulting product would have to be at a price point to compete with DreamPi and second hand BBAs.
Just not sure if there's a big enough market for that.

megavolt85

DreamShell Developer
Registered
Jun 17, 2019
www.dc-swat.ru
AGName
megavolt85
AG Join Date
I think that the best option is to hack all network games, you need to redirect the data to the serial port
BBA is supported by only a few games
G2 in simple mode (modem is connected to it) has too low bandwidth, about 64 kbps
serial port works without any problems at a speed of 500 kbps (with external synchronization you can get 1500 kbps), this is quite enough for any game

Xrider

Original poster
Registered
Apr 19, 2020
AGName
Xrider
AG Join Date
19/05/2020
I think that the best option is to hack all network games, you need to redirect the data to the serial port
BBA is supported by only a few games
G2 in simple mode (modem is connected to it) has too low bandwidth, about 64 kbps
serial port works without any problems at a speed of 500 kbps (with external synchronization you can get 1500 kbps), this is quite enough for any game
You did a wonderful job converting atomiswave games to Dreamcast and congratulations on that!

We could try to test and network the games ported to dreamcast with the BBA. It should have worked.

It would be a wonderful world to be able to play atomiswave games online on Dreamcast!

Xrider

megavolt85

DreamShell Developer
Registered
Jun 17, 2019
www.dc-swat.ru
AGName
megavolt85
AG Join Date
We could try to test and network the games ported to dreamcast with the BBA. It should have worked.
at the moment there is no such possibility
you need to configure BBA on DreamCast itself, but AtomisWave saves the settings in SRAM and there is no way to save them to DreamCast yet

Reactions: Xrider

Make a donation