Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

Dreamcast [DEV] Dreamcast BBA Converter !

Xrider

Original poster
Registered
Apr 19, 2020
AGName
Xrider
AG Join Date
19/05/2020
Hello,

I just finished one of a project that was close to my heart.
I wanted a BBA for my dreamcast, but seeing the abusive prices, I decided to find an alternative solution.

To find the solution without FPGA emulation, I had to go back in time in the year 2000, and look at what sega was working on, hoping to find something to reproduce the BBA ... and it seemed obvious to me that the Naomi as well as the 'Atomiswave are the big sisters of our dreamcast ...

So I discovered the Atomiswave, and I worked on it to understand how the beast worked ... like the dreamcast!
Yes, the atomiswave is neither more nor less than a dreamcast in which we removed the GDROM to put a cartridge port :-D
So guess what? the removable network adapter in your atomiswave ... it's a BBA: autop:

EUREKA, I found it!
It's a world first, it's MADE IN FRANCE

It took me many hours of research and testing to trace all the signals, but I succeeded: honor:

Long live the dreamcast at 100Mbps

Edit :

The kit BBA Converter DIY is now available on ebay :

New assembly tutorial video is available :

Last edited:

PriestJPN

Aug 25, 2020
AGName
PriestJPN
That's some excellent work!

Are you planning to sell parts, etc or is this just a one-off, proof of concept?

Reactions: NeoSnk

T_chan

Registered
Jun 6, 2019
AGName
T_chan
AG Join Date
Apr 13, 2008
Nice work !
Cool to see that it is indeed compatible.

I once bought the pieces (the connector on the atomiswave bba if I remember correctly) to investigate this, but it was just added to all the projects I never continued...

Interested in seeing more technical details (mapping of the signals) / a product to buy.

Reactions: NeoSnk

Xrider

Original poster
Registered
Apr 19, 2020
AGName
Xrider
AG Join Date
19/05/2020
Thanks,

Maybe I would sell the PCB kit, but you will need to be able to remove the connector from your modem as it is just a proprietary connector, impossible to find anywhere other than in the Dreamcast modem.

NeoSnk

May 31, 2019
Thanks,

Maybe I would sell the PCB kit, but you will need to be able to remove the connector from your modem as it is just a proprietary connector, impossible to find anywhere other than in the Dreamcast modem.

Man, if you sell this, I really want to get one! Congrats for the great discover.

Reactions: neo

BlueCrab

Jun 7, 2019
sylverant.net
AGName
BlueCrab
AG Join Date
February 6, 2007
Great work there (and always good to see Sylverant featured in a post too).

As was said up there, a mapping of the signals or a PCB design up for sale would be amazing.

Anthony817

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
Why in the hell didn't see this sooner!? Wow very cool this was possible! I mean, of course anything is possible with the right person at the helm, some know how and skills. Congrats on this amazing endeavor. While most people now use Dreampi since it is compatible with every game online at the moment and will be with future revived titles, this has more uses than just for online gaming thankfully. Pretty sweet project. Will keep checking for any news about this.

I think the Sega development forum would have been a good choice for this so more folks see it, but technically this is the right forum.

neo

Feb 1, 2019
AGName
Mrneo240
AG Join Date
06/08/2010
If/when the info gets shared or someone picks up the reigns... I'm ready
Screenshot_20200925-210128_eBay.png

Reactions: Anthony817

cyrix

Registered
Jun 9, 2019
AGName
cyrix
AG Join Date
Jul 29, 2010
You had to buy all 4 of them didn't you.

APE

Donator
Donator
May 30, 2019
You had to buy all 4 of them didn't you.
I just went to grab one for myself before someone bought up the entire world's supply thinking they could make some quick money off something they didn't do themselves.

Looks like I was too late for today. Hopefully another tomorrow. I actually have need for a BBA these days and it isn't for playing games.

DeChief

Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
DeChief, Durandal
AG Join Date
Sometime in 2014?
Have you uploaded the design yet? I'd like to make my own.

FamilyGuy

2049 Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
-=FamilyGuy=-
AG Join Date
March 3, 2007
So what model of the LAN PCB should I buy if I want to try that before they're all gone?

[EDIT]
Alright I found a Communication Module for $40USD, which is 80$ with shipping in CAD, less than half the price of a BBA!
Can't wait to buy your kit @Xrider!

Would it be possible to get a longer ribbon, or a link/specs to compatible ribbons, to install the network PCB internally behind a GDEmu?

Last edited:

DeChief

Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
DeChief, Durandal
AG Join Date
Sometime in 2014?
Thank you all for your interest in my work.
I ordered some kits to assemble yourself, I will put them on sale soon.
Are you planning to open source it?

FamilyGuy

2049 Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
-=FamilyGuy=-
AG Join Date
March 3, 2007

Make a donation