Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

Anyway to emulate recover 1st gen ios games?

marigul

Original poster
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
I have a few prototype 1st gen ios games from a popular franchise. Is there any easy way to extract the ipa off the ipad?

Chaotic Mind

AG Refugee Retro Brony
Registered
Jun 1, 2019
AGName
sonicdude10
AG Join Date
Jan 17, 2012
I don't think there is without jailbreaking it first. Cannot be 100% sure as I don't touch Apple products but what little I do know says you will most likely have to jailbreak to dump the ipa files.

no1

Donator
Donator
Registered
Mar 5, 2019
Back it up using iTunes. That's one way to preserve it. Also depending on the iPad's age you might be able to rip them off without jailbreaking.

Dracarys

Donator
Donator
Registered
Jul 26, 2018
Back it up using iTunes. That's one way to preserve it. Also depending on the iPad's age you might be able to rip them off without jailbreaking.

iTues will shut down this year so I'm not sure that's a viable solution.

HI_RICKY

Donator
Donator
Registered
Mar 21, 2019
AGName
HI_Ricky
AG Join Date
Jun 7, 2007
first gen iOS app should be no encrypt, rename .ipa to zip you can unpack it
if you looking run it, use old Xcode or old iOS device is ok

marigul

Original poster
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
I was able to get the .ipa, but it didn't seem like a valid file when I tried to run it on another device. The ipad I think is jailbroken but my iphone is not. I can run it, however old ipad have for the most part surpassed their functional life and I wanted to get it on a newer device, but it's possible it may not run on it anyway.

Trimesh

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Trimesh
AG Join Date
Jul 4, 2008
It depends on how old the .ipa is - if it's old enough, there is a distinct possibility that it relies on APIs that have gone away. In this case, getting it to work may require a lot of work.
In any case, getting it off the device is the first step.

marigul

Original poster
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
When I got it off the device, I couldn't tell if it was valid since I couldn't get it to run...but I guess I should pull it off again and just save it. I may have the source, but I think that may be lost. The game is from around maybe 2009-2010.

b1100101

Aug 31, 2019
iTues will shut down this year so I'm not sure that's a viable solution.

The app on Mac will be split up in multiple apps in macOS 10.15.
That's all there is to it.
Most stuff regarding iPhones will be in the Finder then.

Greg2600

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 3, 2019
AGName
Greg2600
AG Join Date
Jun 23, 2010
I was actually talking about this with friends yesterday. When you think of really all mobile games, for Android, iOS, whatever, the preservation has to be incredibly difficult. Not only do you need the game files, but you would likely need the SAME OS version that those files match up to. That's due to all the updates.

cta

Registered
Jun 7, 2019
but you would likely need the SAME OS version that those files match up to.
Not sure about IOS, but on Android I bet you could get away with any (newer) OS version in 99% of cases. Increasing the "make sure we're running on ver.x" value in the app's metadata doesn't necessarily mean the code will also rely on new APIs. I bet the majority of apps on the store right now could run on much older phones if the SDK didn't force a somewhat recent version to check for as the minimum (beefy hardware requirements due to bloat and/or coder lazyness notwithstanding).

Make a donation