Advice needed on N64 emulators

J-Doran1968

Original poster
Oct 3, 2019
AGName
Conker2012
AG Join Date
19th October 2012
First of all, apologies if this is in the wrong forum. If so, please feel free to move it, moderators.

I am a big fan of the Nintendo 64 (still my favourite console, after nearly 25 years) which I use mostly with the Everdrive 64 flash cartridge, but my Everdrive has packed in after eleven years of loyal service, meaning no more Goldeneye X, no more Smash Remix, no chance to play the latest fan-made improvements on the Dinosaur Planet beta, etc, until I either get the Everdrive 64 repaired, or buy a new one.

So I thought I'd have another look at N64 emulation on the PC. In the distant past, N64 emulation wasn't good, from what I saw. There were various degrees of problems, from minor (sometimes more than minor) graphical glitches to games that outright just wouldn't run. And ideally you had to mess around with plugins to get the best quality on many games, unlike in emulators of most other systems, where you just ran the emulator, selected and loaded the emulated game, and it ran perfectly.

So what is the present state of N64 emulation? What are the best N64 emulators for the PC, please? And is it possible to put one on a USB stick, and boot up with it, so I can use the USB stick on any PC, at home or at work? And are the emulators able to fully take advantage of joypads, including native N64 joypads via an N64 joypad to PC converter?

Are there any games that still won't run, or won't run well on the emulators? And is there anything else about N64 emulators that is worth knowing, such as any upgraded texture features or other improvements?

Thanks for any answers.

deadlegion

Registered
Feb 16, 2021
If it's a genuine everdrive did you contact Krikzz?
He's usually pretty good about any of his products failing.
I remember reading multiple instances over the years where people have sent off their ED's to him and he sent a replacement.
But with the war on idk what the situation would be.

J-Doran1968

Original poster
Oct 3, 2019
AGName
Conker2012
AG Join Date
19th October 2012
If it's a genuine everdrive did you contact Krikzz?
He's usually pretty good about any of his products failing.
I remember reading multiple instances over the years where people have sent off their ED's to him and he sent a replacement.
But with the war on idk what the situation would be.

Yes, I sent it off to him (KRikzz's after sales service is fantastic), but in the meantime I'm curious to see what N64 emulators are like nowadays. Not only how accurate they now are, but what features they now have that aren't possible on a real N64.

Darreno205

Donator
Donator
Registered
Jun 16, 2021
Donations
£5.00
I find n64 emulation on the og xbox really good for most games. Could be cheap a option for awhile till yours gets fixed

Make a donation