Synnett

Original poster
Registered
Jun 12, 2019
AGName
Synnett
AG Join Date
July 18, 2016
The seal sticker was already half peeled off, so I helped myself. The controller was never opened, as the screws were still locked.

Mine has the GC plug. It is compatible with the console but it's limited, and you'll see why...
jmjK86l.jpg
XyF9maH.jpg

Seems like Nintendo tried to limit the controller's usage by shorting the contact pads. That means the X, Y, B, D-pad and triggers are always pressed down, which limits its usage to the sticks, A button and Start/Z.
EpElc5O.jpg

slZmv65.jpg

Backside of the main board.
8JaiTwY.jpg

Secondary board into its socket.
r0Wq80U.jpg

See the triggers' digital contact pads.
ys8EKsr.jpg
Vil5RNd.jpg

And now it's back in a display on my shelf. If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Attachments

• 11iRLeo.jpg
    11iRLeo.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • q8ksQFX.jpg
    q8ksQFX.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • rVyfACE.jpg
    rVyfACE.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
  • X3gMSb2.jpg
    X3gMSb2.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

BalloonFight

Jun 4, 2019
Really interesting that certain contact pads were soldered down to force held inputs. I wonder if that's common place on these? I'd like to know if this is also present on the proto controllers that have the plug input for the Dolphin dev units instead of the actual GC plug.

But yea, this is basically a grail status item for me. Thanks for sharing the tear down of it!

Pikkon

Moving in Stereo
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Pikkon
AG Join Date
Mar 4, 2005
Awesome tear down and I can see the controller is hand soldered.

Reactions: Synnett

Synnett

Original poster
Registered
Jun 12, 2019
AGName
Synnett
AG Join Date
July 18, 2016
I'd like to know if this is also present on the proto controllers that have the plug input for the Dolphin dev units instead of the actual GC plug.
The two protos I've seen with an adapter works properly, so I think mine could be a special order from a dev team to navigate a menu or something. I've also seen one like mine but missing the X, Y, B and D-pad but they still work. Funky stuff

And yea, that's one of my holy grail too. I wish I could collect all the prototype variants but I think I'll settle for ver. A and ver. B, if I can find one!

Xe

Donator
Donator
Registered
Sep 3, 2018
AG Join Date
Mar 23, 2012
Are you sure that's solder ? Looks more like paint marker.

MSX

Is secretly 32-bit
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 7, 2019
Donations
£543.68
AGName
MSX
AG Join Date
Dec 7, 2011
I wonder if it's for repair. Maybe it's conductive to try to fix response issues. Just a wild guess.

Synnett

Original poster
Registered
Jun 12, 2019
AGName
Synnett
AG Join Date
July 18, 2016
I'll have to see tomorrow. The substance is metallic, shiny and conductive so I'm leaning toward solder.

Trimesh

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Trimesh
AG Join Date
Jul 4, 2008
I'll have to see tomorrow. The substance is metallic, shiny and conductive so I'm leaning toward solder.

From the look of it, it's silver-loaded paint. It's also interesting that all 4 points on the D-pad are linked, which corresponds to an "all directions at once" condition that is normally impossible for the controller to generate. There have been a number of times when Nintendo have used this as a signal for entering some sort of check mode, though. And that controller is marked "NR DISC CHECKER".

It's possible the buttons have been forced to a configuration that boots some specific unit into a testing mode.

Synnett

Original poster
Registered
Jun 12, 2019
AGName
Synnett
AG Join Date
July 18, 2016
From the look of it, it's silver-loaded paint. It's also interesting that all 4 points on the D-pad are linked, which corresponds to an "all directions at once" condition that is normally impossible for the controller to generate. There have been a number of times when Nintendo have used this as a signal for entering some sort of check mode, though. And that controller is marked "NR DISC CHECKER".

It's possible the buttons have been forced to a configuration that boots some specific unit into a testing mode.
Thanks for the info!

Do you know what kind of unit would use this controller setup?

Xe

Donator
Donator
Registered
Sep 3, 2018
AG Join Date
Mar 23, 2012
Thanks for the info!

Do you know what kind of unit would use this controller setup?

I believe the NR disc checking controller came with the NR reader. Not sure, I was reading about it in the sdk docs last week but forget most of it now.

Synnett

Original poster
Registered
Jun 12, 2019
AGName
Synnett
AG Join Date
July 18, 2016
I didn't even know this kind of paint existed aaaaa

So basically I could rub it off with rubbing alcohol and make it work properly again? (I'm not doing that tho)

FamilyGuy

2049 Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
-=FamilyGuy=-
AG Join Date
March 3, 2007

So basically I could rub it off with rubbing alcohol and make it work properly again? (I'm not doing that tho)
Yes, it's easy to remove. It's probably why they used that instead of solder.

Silver lacquer/paint is also useful as a conductive glue that work at very low (10 mK range) or quite high (hundreds of °C range) temperatures.

Last edited:

Xe

Donator
Donator
Registered
Sep 3, 2018
AG Join Date
Mar 23, 2012
I'm still thinking its paint marker or white out. It doesn't look like conductive ink to me. If they wanted to forbid usage of the buttons, they would sooner cover them over than tie them closed with conductive ink.

FamilyGuy

2049 Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
-=FamilyGuy=-
AG Join Date
March 3, 2007
I'm still thinking its paint marker or white out. It doesn't look like conductive ink to me. If they wanted to forbid usage of the buttons, they would sooner cover them over than tie them closed with conductive ink.
The pictures show exactly what silver paint looks like. I guess @Synnett could test with a multimeter if the buttons are shorted to be sure.

They likely use that button combination as a key to enter an otherwise-hidden menu. As stated above, Nintendo is known to use the impossible D-Pad combo Up+Down+Left+Right as a way to access hidden features.

Reactions: Synnett and Xe

Xe

Donator
Donator
Registered
Sep 3, 2018
AG Join Date
Mar 23, 2012
The pictures show exactly what silver paint looks like. I guess @Synnett could test with a multimeter if the buttons are shorted to be sure.

They likely use that button combination as a key to enter an otherwise-hidden menu. As stated above, Nintendo is known to use the impossible D-Pad combo Up+Down+Left+Right as a way to access hidden features.

I never knew that about ninty doing that with impossible button combos, cool to know.

speedyink

Registered
May 31, 2019

I know you said you're not, but I'm just reinforcing that thought. I'd leave it as it was intended to be for historical reasons.

Reactions: Synnett and Xe

Xe

Donator
Donator
Registered
Sep 3, 2018
AG Join Date
Mar 23, 2012
are you able to see if the nintendo gamecube logo is silkscreened underneath that NR disc checking controller sticker ?

Synnett

Original poster
Registered
Jun 12, 2019
AGName
Synnett
AG Join Date
July 18, 2016
That would mean peeling the sticker a little bit. Any way to do it without damaging the sticker / make it stick back on?

Make a donation